Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

A wealth of Networking and Contacts at our finger tips.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip Barber Racing School.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,782 Likes on 1,706 Posts

Update from three years ago after change of direction...

Previously: SVP Business Development and investor in a publicly-traded energy company. I launched a couple of startups prior to that.

Last month I launched a business advisory firm specialized in providing strategic planning, commercialization and corporate finance services for emerging cleantech companies in Canada, US and EU. Also provide interim executive services for spin-offs, turnarounds or crisis situations.

Extended bio: http://altaterraadvisors.com/about-us/leadership

New website: www.altaterraadvisors.com

New to LinkedIn: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/fruchier

Last edited by Wilder; 03-11-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool thread, saving this one as a favorite. I must have missed it last year, but I'm just your every day research scientist in the domain of information analytics and visualization.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 PM
air klwd
Instructor

Yes I am a smuggler..I've run my share of grass..I made enough money to buy Miami.....but I pissed it away so fast.....never meant to last........( Jimmy Buffet ) Song you should know by heart
Old 03-10-2010, 10:17 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Okay, I'll bite:

I'm the CTO/Founder of a small Information Visualization/Interpretation Software startup. Specifically Business Intelligence for the Finance Vertical. We help traders/risk managers/surveillance & compliance depts and others navigate and interpret financial market data far more efficiently than in the past. Not a bad gig (I hope!) after the enormous failures in data-interpretation over the last few years.

Visit us on the web at: http://www.aqumin.com

If anyone here is in the space, feel free to drop me a note.

Prior to that 15 years in various Technology & Sr. Management (M&A) positions. I'm a software developer at heart, particularly C++/Qt/OpenGL - started my career at Silicon Graphics in the 90s. I also advise the boards of several small & midsize companies on software development & technology issues. If you'd like my help in this capacity, I'll also be happy to talk.

When I'm not working - I'm a guitar/bass player with my uncle & friends in Houston.

cheers,

sean
Old 03-10-2010, 10:47 PM
tonypai
Racer

Great thread. Lots of cool jobs. I'd love to take this thread and write a book. Everyone has an interesting story of how their career came to be. In a way I envy those of you who found your calling early in life.

I spent 14 years as a NASDAQ market maker, when penny spreads and computer algorithms finally drove me out of the business. Nowadays I work for a small IT consulting firm building custom software. Oh and in my spare time I went to law school at night and earned a JD. Waiting for my bar exam results in April!

One day I'll figure out what I want to be when I grow up.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:12 AM
laurinap
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default restructuring

great thread. i'm a restructuring advisory guy, for very large corporate debtors. part of what i do is chapter 11s, out-of-court renegotiation/amendments of credit agreements, m&a, debt and equity raises, business plan development, etc.

glad to see so few wall street knuckleheads here (besides me)!
Old 03-11-2010, 03:36 AM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Great thread. By trade I'm a senior network engineer (Cisco), I specialize in large scale global networks (design, implementation, troubleshooting) for the past 15 years. Me and my wife Christine also are business owners, we have a small shop in Camarillo, CA that specialize in OEM new/used Porsche parts. When I'm not busy working 18 hours a day, my other big passion beside Porsches is playing guitar in rock bands!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:05 AM
mo-town
Track Day

Cool thread.

I operate an audio video installations company here in NYC. Most of my projects are in NYC and surrounding areas. I specialize in everything from simple standalone systems, high end 2 channel audio systems, and full home automation systems. If anyone needs my services, feel free to PM me anytime.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Great thread!!

I'm a Naval Architect and shareowner of a small shipyard in southwestern Finland, specializing in military craft and work boats/vessels up to 330ft in length.

I have a wealth of knowledge regarding boat and ship building at my disposal and special knowledge about aluminum welding and construction.

If I can be of any help, just let me know.
I don't think any rennlister would buy a ship from me but perhaps I can help with something other, like information about materials, marine equipment, rules and regulations etc.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

I'm taking early retirement very soon , so I won't be of much help.

In the past:
  • Odd jobs
  • Flight instructor
  • Commercial pilot
  • Electronics technologist
Skills/know-how:
  • Euro travel, particularly motorcycle touring and motorcycle shipping by air
  • Maintenance: most vehicles and light aircraft
  • Fabricate my own items: have lathe, mill, welding equipment, etc.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update for me:

I landed a permanent position with the company that bought us out. Now I am learning the world of data center management with primary focus on capacity (space, power, cooling) and system placement across the enterprise.

It's a new world for sure and there are many opportunities to learn, particularly on the electrical side of things. I struggled the first 6 months, but am starting to get into the swing of things and grasp the complexities involved.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

A 993 hasbeen x2, wannabe and soontobe (that blue C2S with the red interior on PCA is pulling me in).

Started working life out as a univerisity professor; my research work primarily dealt with clinical applications of novel magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy techniques. Helped develop some useful non-invasive techniques that have become standard procedures for kids with muscular dystrophy.

Currently lead a team of 60 in the private sector in the R&D, manufacture and world wide distribution of of electronic controls: www.pqcontrols.com.

Always looking for talented mechanical and electrical engineers along with great sales professionals.

Looking to replace previously owned '97 C2S and '98 C2S. Live in CT and like the idea of picking the next one up on the West coast again and spending a couple of weeks driving it across the country. Like the wide body desgin and arctic silver is my favorite color but may opt for something different this time
Old 03-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,782 Likes on 1,706 Posts

Rennlist group on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=972917&trk=hb_side_g

148 members so far...
Old 03-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in sales and bus dev for a company in the utility industry. We sell meters, network devices, and software systems that are elemental to the electricity 'Smart Grid.' I'm happy to help with any related discussions. I also have a sound background in product marketing and product management. My education is in civil/structural engineering and used to design bridges. Please PM me for LinkedIn or other information.

Quick Reply: A wealth of Networking and Contacts at our finger tips.