Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

A wealth of Networking and Contacts at our finger tips.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 05:31 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Surj,

A few people mentioned Linked-In. I've had a look and we can set up a free group on Linked-In that allows a common Rennlist link.

Everyone - does that sound like a good idea?

I have attached the link for the application below. I guess we should ask John D. to make the application rather than one of us.

http://www.linkedin.com/static?key=groups_request

Cheers,

David
Old 01-23-2007, 06:19 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently stepped down from my position as VP of Sales after ten years with a surge suppression manufacturer in Idaho that provides protection products primarily to the telecom (Spint, Cingular, T-Mobile, etc.) sector. I am one-third of the way toward attaining my masters at Gonzaga University in Organizational Leadership and am now looking for a new career challenge.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:14 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Great thread…!

Hmmm – Almost 20 years ago, started a IT Consulting company which grew rather large. About 10 years ago, scaled back to a “one person” practice (I liked “doing” rather than managing a company.) and still do the occasional project for many of the large software/hardware corporations. Most of the work now is new product development, market assessment and new technology based.

As well – I also work retail for one of the areas largest outdoor retail stores.

In my spare time, I contract out to do website design and consulting – and work with several on-line retailers in getting their website rolled out…

In my “other spare time” – I host, program, manage, administer and even post the occasional post/thread on Rennlist – in between trying to answer the several hundred admin e-mails each and every day (which I never seem to catch up with )

In the rest of my spare time, I’m also in the midst of starting a new company (more on this later) as a non-profit to do something that has not been done by a non-affiliated charity in an area of the world that is generally ignored by modern countries – as are their children and the rest of their devastated population/infrastructure. More on this later – though….

In my other slice of spare time - I also do a lot of photography, some of my work will shortly be published in a future issue of a magazine.... Some of it can be seen here.....

In the rest of my spare time – I spend time with my “bride”, Jenn and my family. I also work on our P’cars and go to an occasional track event to drive/instruct..

John D.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:14 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Am I late to the show?

What a nice idea.

Well, I am an Intellectual Property Attorney (patents, trademarks, copyrights, etc.) and a partner in a large IP law firm. I also have a mechanical engineering degree, so most of my work as an IP attorney is in the realm of mechanical inventions , however I also do a lot of work in biotechnology (i.e. DNA analysis). Some of our clients include Boeing, Black & Decker, DaimlerChrysler, Ford, etc. It is a fun job in that I get to "play" with new inventions that are usually years away from being publicly disclosed. By the time they are made public, it is usually old hat to us.

Before going to law school, I worked as an engineer designing 35 mm point and shoot cameras for an oversea based company.

As a hobby, as some of you might guess, I do a lot of photography....you think 993 mods can be expensive? Just think of all those expensive white lens that you see on the sidelines at football games....
Old 01-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Church of Noise
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caveman,

Seems to be a very good indeed. Count me in.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

I think it's up to the group/ John D whether or not we get a "Rennlist" group on Linked-in.

What does everyone else think?

Cheers,

David

PS Jeff. Check out Patent Optimizer by LexisNexis. I did some business development work looking at a UK patent version of this and it is a pretty cool tool (I work for LN's parent company).
Old 01-23-2007, 10:24 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Caveman
PS Jeff. Check out Patent Optimizer by LexisNexis. I did some business development work looking at a UK patent version of this and it is a pretty cool tool (I work for LN's parent company).
Actually, I already tested it for a few months at the end of last year. Unfortunately, our IT department has already provided us with most of its functionality over the course of the last few years, so not much of it was new for us, except perhaps using the case law lookup of specific terms used in the patent/application. However, I'm not sold on the usefulness of that feature, so we as a firm decided to opt out.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Jeff, no worries. I just thought it looked pretty neat!

Cheers,

David
Old 01-23-2007, 10:37 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

These are some incredible pictures John! Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:43 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

John,

Incredible images. I love the Virgin Island album....surrealistic imageries.

Just curious, why the name Cayenne Gallery?

Thanks for sharing. You are a true Rennaisance man.

CP
Old 01-23-2007, 10:49 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Surj-993C2S
Dave (Caveman) Did I miss a connection with LinkedIn??

btw: I'm another IT guy (I guess). Front, Middle & Back office development & support (Snr Business Analyst & Project Management) for Investment Banks and Hedge Funds for the last 14 years (mostly as a consultant). Been lucky and proud to have almost all of my previous employers take me back on multiple occassions - I must be doing something right!!

Currently in SoCal working for a Heath Insurance firm (another old client!!)...
Once you do a good job in IT most of your previous would take you back, if they have the buget etc... This my third time at my current client, first time was in 88, second time for y2k ( wish every year was like then) and now currently for the past 3 years. And currently one of my other previous employers is twisting my arm to return.....just wish it was as lucrative as the early 90's...
Old 01-23-2007, 11:18 AM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

y2k ( wish every year was like then)
Amen to that!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:26 AM
aaronazevedo
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
We are part of a great and generous community. Some of us are young, some old, some successful and some starting up thier career. Regardless of where we are in life, some of us may be able to benefit from other rennlist members, or offer assistance to a fellow rennlister.

I think it would be a good idea for us to post some information about our occupations and locations. Example, I needed a commercial produced for a client, and I used a production company that I met on an E46 forum.

I was able to find good work, and at the same time give some business to a small company that needed the axtra work.

I will start:

I am in Montreal Canada, and am in advertising. I help clients get into magazines, Tv and radio, web, etc to reach thier target market (male 18-35). feel free to PM me of u can offer me something, or need help with something related to my work.

ok guys.......your turn.
Great idea. I'm part of many networking groups, but never thought to combine the hobby with the work.

Anyway, I work in Product Development and Sourcing in the Sporting Goods Manufacturing Industry. I've been with companies that range in size from 3 million to 3 billion. I've been traveling in and around Asia (mostly China) for 17 years for work. I suppose that makes me available as a resource to some.

Let me know if I can help out.

Aaron
Old 01-23-2007, 11:34 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
These are some incredible pictures John! Thanks for sharing!
Ditto - Nice work JD
Old 01-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Ty Smith
Instructor

Nice to hear what everyone does,

I'm a CPA living in Richmond, VA.. Former Manager at a Big 4 Accounting firm specializing in International Tax. Now an analyst for a Big company.

Quick Reply: A wealth of Networking and Contacts at our finger tips.