993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: tire cords showing

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 11:32 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
This is very true, we work on BMWs as well as Porsches and both makes call for very aggressive camber settings, too aggressive for how most people drive em, hence the uneven wear on the inside edge. We see this all the time and since most customers don't crawl under their car on a normal basis, they can't believe they need new tires, since the outside will still look ok. For most customers we dial em as positive as they will reasonablly go, in the -0.8-1 degree range.

Suffice it to say, get the car aligned at a good shop when you get the tires mounted, and make sure that you maintain the tire pressure! Check em every few weeks! Tires lose a pound or 2 of pressure every month. Also, BMW's recommendation for 29f/33r cold unladen is a bit low for such a heavy car, we run 32/34, and of course you should add more than that if you are carrying a lot of passengers/cargo.

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
+1 The aggressive set up also accounts for the frequent ball joint replacements.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:18 AM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for all your help. The "scraping" Bob described is spot on. I was going to post another picture but it is on my other computer. The picture would show how it looks like a lathe cut an edge on the edge of the insides of both back tires. Yes the tires were totally shot but I wanted to prevent the tires I put on in the spring from living a short life. The car is not driven by anyone but my wife and I. No donuts in the parking lot for us but the car is driven hard by me.

Now for the alignment question.... does an alignment need to be done by a dealership or will the equipment at a qualified shop do the same thing??
Old 01-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Trey03
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Tsjoel,

I have a 540 sport 6 speed. My last set of tires wore very similar to yours. From what I have read this car is set up very aggressively from the factory which is how you get such a large heavy car to handle the way they do. The article I was reading about the alignment on these cars basically said the car eats tires due to the way it is set up.

Trey

Quick Reply: OT: tire cords showing