Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade audio - easy DYI or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade audio - easy DYI or not?

I have the standard Porsche CD player in my 96 Cab. I am not someone who has ever changed a radio - but not afraid to try. I have searched on speakers, radio, etc and see a lot out there - but honestly, most of it is over my head. I have a few simple questions but first will describe my goal.

I want a new head unit to upgrade my radio. I want it to be inexpensive and to allow for an Ipod or Mp3 player adapter from the back (will run wire to console to plug in). I may want a CD changer in truck, not sure. Nothing too fancy.

I want to upgrade the speakers, but am not an audiophile and would probably just find better speakers for the factory (cab) holes/grills (suggestions appreciated). Again, inexpensive is a key.

Having said all of this....

1. Is this a DIY for a novice like me?
2. I have gone to some of the big box stores and they say they do not have the wiring harness for the 1996 911 - therefore they will not change out the radio. However - many of the posts seem like you guys are not using a harness, but are making your own connections, etc.... Do I need a harness - if so, can we order them?
3. I would appreciate suggestions for inexpensive radio (with inputs for MP3 and CD changer) without looking gaudy. Also speakers for the CAB speaker configuration.

Lastly - I may eventually want a small sub as well. Am I fooling myself by saying that I do not need an amp until I get a sub?

Thanks for any input...you can see I know not what I am doing...
Old 01-14-2007, 03:09 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Basic car stereo isn't complicated but it is a PITA. Lots of disassembly of fiddly things like doors and dashboards. The 993 speakers just plain suck, that's the best bang for the buck.

Simple upgrade for the head unit is the CDR-220 from the 99+ 911 or boxster. You can configure this for aux input. Check the Becker factory board for info: http://www.beckerautosound.com/becke...3cad96047d465b

It's a slippery slope after that...
Old 01-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

I just installed a new Eclipse radio in my 95. VERY simple in terms of just a head unit swap. Now, my car was already re configured, if you will, with a new system/set up i.e. amp in trunk, upgraded speakers.

If you did not mind using the existing speaker runs/wires, then the work really is only in the door panels AND running the rca/speaker jumpers/remote turn on to the amp.

In terms of a harness, crutchfield sells one that fits, exactly, into the Porsche wiring harness. All I did was remove the wires on the Crutch. harness that were not in use. Very simple considering the Porsche harness only uses four wires.

I agree with Ed though in that it is a PITA AND a lot of work in terms of just hours spent. Not hard BUT time consuming to do a good install.

If I were you, I would buy the components and then get a shop to install. The money you save buying elsewhere will cover the install costs.

In terms of a very good, decent priced system, I would recommend an Eclipse CD4000 or CD5000, Infinity Amp and Infinity's Kappa speakers. You are looking at about 1200.00 or so and it will be loud and clear as the day is long. The head unit will have everything needed to add a sub, XM or Ipod.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a search on this forum for Becker cdr 220, there's several good threads with a lot of this info already there.

FWIW, I think most of us think the cars look better w/ stock Porsche radios in the dash, they're not top-of-the-line but they're not bad eather. Plus, you don't have to cut up/replace the harness.

As Ed says, replace your speakers first, the stock speakers are CRAP. On the cab, the rears are 4" round and VERY easy to replace. I went w/ one of the Polk models. The fronts are another story, they can be a bear to replace if you haven't done it before and esp. if you use a type w/ a crossover. The 5.25" main front is easy and many just replace that speaker w/ a full range speaker and don't mess w/ the treeter.

HTH
Old 01-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

I agree a stock radio looks nice BUT they are far from a good radio in my opinion.

As well, there is 0 need to cut any of the Porsche harness. As I said, the Crutch harness is the only thing you must modify.

I can't speak to the complexity of the inner door panel of the Porsche so there might be little room BUT if not, crossovers are extremely easy to mount/install.

PM me if you want to chat about it.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jukelemon
I agree a stock radio looks nice BUT they are far from a good radio in my opinion.

As well, there is 0 need to cut any of the Porsche harness. As I said, the Crutch harness is the only thing you must modify.

I can't speak to the complexity of the inner door panel of the Porsche so there might be little room BUT if not, crossovers are extremely easy to mount/install.

PM me if you want to chat about it.
The CDR-220 is not a bad radio and you can connect an Ipod to it, but not both changer & Ipod.

There is very little room inside the door panel for a crossover. I have one in mine but it is a tight fit. However, someone else on the board mounted their xover on the outter doorpanel but behind the armrest/speaker panel, it looked good in the photos.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:31 PM
993Dude
Advanced

Call me old fashioned, but I just took a look at all the compatible units on Crutchfield. Is it me or do most of these units look, well - cheesy? It's been a while since I've installed a new head unit, but with all the LCD screens and LED's on most of these new units, they look like they'd be more at home on a tricked out Honda than a 993. Is it just me?
Old 01-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Well, I think you are right about the "look" of new radios. There are very few that retain a classic look/fiel. McIntosh is one that comes to mind.

However, Eclipse radios are excellent units-probably the most underpriced units on the market in comparison to their reliability and performance.

If you want a classic look, get a McINtosh.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:56 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree on the look issue. My car came with a very nice Richie's Car Tunes installation of an Alpine head unit (& speakers + amps to replace the factory hifi) and it doesn't quite look right. Sounds good, though.

The CDR-220 Becker is popular because it looks 'right' and has an aux input. It *may* also be plug & play in the 993 dashboard, which would be a plus. If so, the CDR220 and speaker change is a no-brainer.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Bokonon
Instructor

Default Blaupunkt

A couple years ago I wanted the same thing (just ability to use ipod). So picked up a cheap Blaupunkt Orlando (not sure if they even make these anymore) and it was completely plug and play with the stock becker CD player. Just unplug one, plug in the other. No adapters, cutting, etc. Couldn't be easier. I have the Porsche HiFi stereo/speakers, so the amp is actually still under the passenger seat and the head unit is only pre-amplification duties, but as long as I can get my ipod in its all good for me. Something to think about.
-terry
Old 01-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

Bokonon - People have said alat about the HI-FI option. Do you know what all it entailed? I just bought my car and don't know if it is standard or not? From your post it looks like I just have to look under the passenger seat?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Bokonon
Instructor

You can tell if you have HiFi option if you have the big speaker boxes in the door- the ones that jut out below the armrest, and if you have the amplifier under the passenger seat.
-terry
Old 01-15-2007, 05:32 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

The hi fi option will greatly complicate things. You have to decide if you want to keep the amp or ditch it (like most of us do when we go to aftermarket stereos). If you keep it, it's an extra wiring harness you'll need to decipher. If you ditch it, you need to figure out how to tap into your existing speaker wires (can tap them under the passenger seat) or else run all new wires (PITA). Since you have no experience with car stereos, you're gonna be getting in REALLY deep on this one if you have the hi-fi pkg.

Either way, a harness *does* exist, I believe Crutchfield has them. But this "harness" doesn't really help the process all that much, especially since Crutchfield's wiring diagram is wrong anyway! (do a search on that topic).
Old 01-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

Crutchfield shows no results for 96 C2 wiring harness....

I do have the snow man shaped speakers in the door....so, it looks like speakers down low and a tweeter up high....I guess I need to go get help to do this right....
Old 01-15-2007, 05:50 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The non-hifi car has one round woofer flush on the door, with a tweeter up high. It has the old-school door pocket, a la the older 911. The hifi car also has a tweeter up high but two speakers molded into a carpeted enclosure in the door frame.

In my last 95 993, which had the hifi option, the headunit was replaced by the previous owner with a mid-level Alpine unit which had their "WMA" bass-enhancing EQ feature on it. I was pleasantly surprised and in fact amazed how setting that up properly enhanced the audio with the existing amp and speakers ... it gave crisp highs and deep bass.

For comparison's sake, I had already upgraded the existing speakers and amp on a previous 993 with the hifi package -- I changed out the head unit, Focal component speakers in the doors, new amp in the trunk and a powered subwoofer in the back. The difference in the car with the Focals and the amp was only marginally better than the car with the Alpine headunit and factory amp and speakers. So, my advice to you would be get an Alpine headunit with WMA and do some listening before you dive into the door speakers and amp, you may be pleasantly surprised with the upgrade. I would not change the speakers and amp out anymore, but you couldn't have convinced me otherwise until I had heard it myself, mostly because the stock stuff (which is made by Nokia, incidentally) sounds so awful with the original head unit.

I will add that I am also a professional rock musician so I have somewhat discerning ears, and I love bass, especially played by Phil Lesh.

As an added benefit, Alpine has a $99 iPod interface which will keep your iPod charged and allow you to access playlists and so forth directly from the head unit.

I just bought a 97 C2 with the hifi package and the first thing I will do is spend about $250 on an Alpine head unit. Unless you are willing to spend a lot of money on the audio in the car -- high-dollar separates, a lot of dynamat and a subwoofer -- or a very expensive Reus system -- I don't think the cost/benefit ratio in that acoustic environment is really worth the cash.

YMMV

Quick Reply: Upgrade audio - easy DYI or not?