Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade audio - easy DYI or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VJD3 - what unit did you buy specifically? Sounds like pretty good advice.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:42 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kcreager1
Crutchfield shows no results for 96 C2 wiring harness.....
Crutchfield does have them. Search Rennlist.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:00 PM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

A CD220 has an aux input, if you get the connector kit from Becker, which will allow you to plug in an iPod, but this requires using the iPod to select the song, playlist, etc. This is usable but I find it a little distracting and possibly dangerous. I had this setup in my Boxster. If you use an early iPod without a dock connector, or if you have another brand of MP3 player, this is a viable option. It uses a mini stereo cable (from the headphone jack to the CD220.)

Alpine makes a fairly inexpensive headunit (the 9852) that runs about $150 that can be used with a $30 iPod interface cable (works only with iPods with a dock connector, not the early models.) This allows the playlist/artist/song etc. to be selected using the head unit, with the iPod safely out of site in the glovebox (where it remains charged.) The user interface for song selection is not the best (takes a bit of practice to master) but for the price it's not bad.

Crutchfield carries these along with the wiring harness adapter for your car, which is included in the price of the headunit.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

I recall that when I ordered my radio from Crutch, it actually DID say that a harness was not available on a certain screen. BUT, at the checkout, it stated differently AND it did come with one which, in my opnion, was very useful considering it was a direct plug in.

For some reason, like a lot of mechanical things, radio installation seems mysterious when really, it is extremely simple when you have a compatible harness.

It is the wire running to the speakers/amp that causes the headache some time NOT the radio install wiring IMHO.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Kcreager1
Racer

Juke - it is confusing. I went to a section to order a harness only - which says they do not have one for my car. However, if I select a radio, it shows a harness being shipped. This plus the confirmation from you and other members shows me that I will get a harness. Good to hear that it is a direct plug in.

I guess I should be able to replace the radio myself, and run the Ipod wires. I would not try the CD changer (don't have one) and don't want to drill holes, etc. I should also be able to replace speakers as this is pretty easy.

The only problem with speakers is that I do have the HIFI setup and Crutchfield does not recognize this. It is showing the other setup and does not recommend any component system (all show "does not fit" ) to replace my current ones.

I will leave the factory AMP for now, then may replace later. Money is not the driver to doing this piecemeal, I just don't want to replace the whole system just to replace it. If I do it incrementally, I can decide at what point it is good enough for me. My biggest deal is that the CDR-210 has crappy buttons, not easy to use, and that the CD is prone to skipping (mine anyway) and the IPOD would be much better in the big scheme of things.

I am in the process of picking the radio, but would appreciate any specific information on component speakers that have been replaced by someone who is happy with their system - I want to use the factory grills, etc.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 11:14 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kcreager1
...I am in the process of picking the radio, but would appreciate any specific information on component speakers that have been replaced by someone who is happy with their system - I want to use the factory grills, etc.

Thanks
Keep in mind that I think Crutchfield will only give you 1 harness- that's the power harness. As for the speaker harness, well, you're on your own. I suspect that's why a lot of people ditch the amp, and instead run speaker wires themselves. But then you'll have to figure out how to run the speaker wires.... it's easy to do unless you've never done it.

If you search on speakers, you'll find some speaker suggestions. I bought some alpines and the tweeter actually fits the stock housing. You'll need to remove your hi-fi speaker box and mount your woofer directly into the door. I've posted pics and such.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The major issue for you is to first determine if you do in fact have the Hi-Fi setup, the 2 systems require 2 diif. solutions.

This car on Ebay has the Hi-Fi setup. Look at the photo in the middle of the inner door panel, that is what the Hi-Fi system looks like. Please let us know for a fact which system you have. Personally, I would be no help at all if you have the Hi-Fi setup, I've done 2 replacements on 911's but neither were Hi-Fi.

See Ebay link

If there's any other doubt just let us know what Option Codes your car has, I don't know the Hi-Fi code off hand but I'm sure other's do.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

I have HiFi - same snowman shaped door grills, amp under pass seat.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

I am not sure if this is the case BUT many factory component systems have system specific componets that cannot be a la carte into another. For example, on my M3, the stock amp has an internal crossover designed specifically for the speakers in the car from factory. To do it right and go to a different set of speakers, you either have to buy Rainbows (identical to factory BUT better in terms of build) or replace the amp.

I am not sure if this is the case with the Porsches. The good thing about these cars is that the interior is FAR from tied in in terms of accessibility. I mean, you remove the floort mats and bam, you are literally at the base of the body i.e. running wires is just not that difficult. You would have to fish a little with a wire but in comparison to most vehicles, the 993 is a dream job. As well, since the battery is up front, running an external amp in trunk is a breeze.

A good shop can fabricate anything in terms of speaker placement so, I don't see why you must get rid of the "snowman" panels UNLESS depth is an issue.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:33 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

You could always go big..
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
You could always go big..
Huh? Speak up please. I'm half deaf just looking at that.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:05 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use a harness made for a late model VW. Available at Best Buy, Frys, Circuit City.

Quick Reply: Upgrade audio - easy DYI or not?