Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Failed SAI flush. No longer impressed, or amused with Porsche.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Rudolph
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
...or you could just save yourself a lot of hassle and buy a '95.

I kid you not, these CEL threads have kept me from looking at a widebody.
+1, well, almost.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:22 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dfarrow
hence the ever-popular "for use in off road vehicles only
People use the disclaimer all the time but for OBD tampering devices it doesn't mean anything. The EPA and CARB enforcement divisions don't care what you disclaim.

Originally Posted by 98993c2s
There are plenty of companies that produce such products and I haven't heard of any of them being shut down. 02 simulators, cat bypasses, etc.
If someone is selling an O2 simulator and they are physically located in the USA the EPA will shut them down. If you have any questions about this send an email to Wayne Elson at the EPA, he can explain it better than I can.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:53 AM
dhicks
Drifting

OK........so is anybody prepared to produce a kit to do the "tempory bypass"????

I know there is at least one person on this board that has done this and who says its relatively simple to do. I may go that way......I need to source suitable tubing, connectors and get somebody to weld an inlet prior to the cats.......I think this is the cleanest way to solve the problem until the engine gets stripped down in the future....hmmmmm 5 years away!!
Old 01-13-2007, 10:17 AM
SwayBar
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Traffic53
my car uses quite a bit of oil, actually. i estimate going through 1 quart every 750 miles. however, i believe porsche considers this acceptable. it is on the low end, for sure. any LESS than that is definately no good.
From strictly a cost-perspective, that's roughly $60/year in oil (.. at 7500 miles/year) versus a $5000 repair-bill which will yield no noticeable performance improvement. I'm right behind you at one-quart every 1000 miles, and don't plan on fixing it until the clutch needs replacing or something along those lines when the engine is dropped.

BTW, to pass emissions, I disconnect the battery. When they hook-up their scanner, it shows not enough cycles so they run the car on the rolling-dyno where it passes with flying colors. Several hundred miles later, the CEL light comes back on.

Originally Posted by vjd3
I would interpret that as saying it's okay to "re-engineer" the system as long as it's doing what it's supposed to do ... i.e., getting more oxygen to the cats to heat them quicker, which is what my understanding of the SAI system is.
At least part of the job of the SAI system is to light-off any unburned fuel caused by the cold-start enrichment circuit by the injection of secondary-air directly into the exhaust port which is as close to the combustion-chamber as possible, thus the hottest. Moving the secondary-air injection-point downstream would seemingly defeat the purpose.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:18 PM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess the EPA hasn't figured out how to google or search ebay; there are o2 simulators being sold by many domestic suppliers.

The wording of this law makes even a simple exhaust mod violate the EPA rules. I haven't seen them shut down any number of domestic suppliers of headers, mufflers, or turbochargers (not to mention cat bypasses.) It would also prevent any changes to the fuel or intake. This would even apply to 3.8 liter upgrades, because there was no emission approved Porsche 3.8l 993 .
Old 01-13-2007, 03:23 PM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

EPA violators:

Jegs: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_752414_-1
Fabspeed: http://www.fabspeed.com/Cayenne_4.html
Summit Racing: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Powertech: http://www.pwr-tech.com/images/parts/FAB996CBP-lg.jpg
Dynojet: http://www.powercommander.com/maps/install/76423005.pdf

I guess just because there is a law, doesn't mean it is going to be enforced...kinda like immigration.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SwayBar
From strictly a cost-perspective, that's roughly $60/year in oil (.. at 7500 miles/year) versus a $5000 repair-bill which will yield no noticeable performance improvement.
i certainly hear what you are saying, and agree. but it's not the oil consumption i'm bothered by. what i'm concerned with is selling the car, period. if i were to keep the car until one of us dies, then no problem. but i like to swap cars out every 3-4 years. i've spend loads to upgrade and maintain this one. i'd like to benefit from the effort to maintain it's resale value. without doing the top-end, it seems like it will be difficult to get 'above average' money for it. the rest of the car could be flawless, but SAI issues make it like hillary trying to run for president with bill as a husband. well, it's actually not like that at all. but it's like something bad.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:34 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Nothing could be that bad!!

Jack
Old 02-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Default Darin--you are my hero

OK. Found this post using the search and boy am I grateful for Rennlist and all the great people here like Darin.

Top end done about 10K ago. Passages 100% clear. Didn't replace the SAI check valve at that time. (my bad) About a month ago, doing all the 60K stuff and replace the SAI check valve.

Next day--CEL...SAI (codes for both sides). OK. I don't panic, because I know my passages are clear, but WTF.

Searching around tonight I find this post and Darin's picture. I race to the garage, pull out the air filter housing reach around and feel...and bam--the disconnected hose. Using a mirror here is a close up picture of the hose how I found it and a picture of hose back on.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Mark Harris; 02-03-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:18 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

The power of RennlistI'm glad it worked out for you, Mark!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Elwyn
I'm certainly no expert, but having owned a '96 4S since November and still learning my car, I wish to point out that a 993 with clogged SAI ports may not have excessively worn valve guides. I bought this car with a PPI from the independent tech. who knew the car whose assessment was that the car does have the CEL issue but that oil consumption would not be an issue. I bought the car thinking that I might need to do a top end simply to address the SAI problem. I now have driven the car long enough to know that oil consumption is not an issue with my car. The oil level red zone begins at 5 o'clock, and 8 ounces of Mobil 1 take the needle back to 2 o'clock. With 592 miles the needle now is at 4 o'clock. I am expecting to run approximatley another 296 miles before hitting the red zone. In other words, about 888 miles to 8 ounces of oil, which would be about 3500 miles to a quart of oil, right? The CEL will come on at 400 miles with a report that SAI ports 1-3 are clogged. The engine now has 94,900 miles on it. I can't see the sense in doing a top end on an engine that runs beautifully and over 3000 miles on a quart of oil. So, no, I don't think the '96-'98 993 inherently suffers from excessive valve guide wear.
Uh....I wouldn't be relying on that dashboard oil gauge to tell me when to add oil, or at least I would be confirming it with a proper dipstick reading. Just my .02
Old 02-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Paul Elwyn
AutoX

Yes, I am checking the stick as well.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Bill,

Are you passive aggressive in all aspects of your life or just Rennlist postings?
edit:
It was kind of a snotty comment, wasn't it.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 02-09-2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: removed snotty comment
Old 02-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 996 Likes on 529 Posts

Every model of the 911 has their issues. While frustrating, these are the things that we live with.

It is like a spouse. You will always find things that you wish were not the way they are, but you are content to love them because of the many more good things that are of deeper value.

When we are faced with some of those undesirable traits it is easy to loose perspective of what the whole picture really means to us. We dwell on the negatives and forget the positive aspects which we were first drawn to.

Take another look at what you have in life. I am sure you will find that you have far more to celebrate than to condemn. When you realize that you will find these issues as insignificant bumps on your journey.

How you choose to perceive this is at your command.

Originally Posted by Traffic53
midwest eurosport are the folks who maintain my car. they're good guys, no doubt. i'm actually pretty confident they will work with me. perhaps a credit/discount. my concern before the procedure was: do i spend money on labor to give it a go, or do i just wait until the motor is ready for a valve job and top end? i voted for waiting, but my tech was pretty confident and said the procedure usually works. appearently i'm special.

i don't have much of a beef with the shop. they will play.

i am frustrated with the design. it was remarked earlier in this post that what is good about the 993 outweighs its negatives. well, i kind of agree. but not really. not today, anyway.

i'll let you know how it's resolved.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
OK, I didn't see that mentioned in your original post. Thanks for clearing that up.
Bill,

Are you passive aggressive in all aspects of your life or just Rennlist postings?

Quick Reply: Failed SAI flush. No longer impressed, or amused with Porsche.