993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:19 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default OT: Road Trip

As we had to leave the house for a few days following the discovery that an entire species of ant decided to use our home as its winter haven, the (long suffering) gf and I decided to take a long-overdue trip up north to a small and spectacularly beautiful town called Rosh Pina.

As I really haven't been using the CTT recently (trips to Ikea aside), it was the first time that I really stretched its legs since taking delivery of the 993TT. I was interested to see how we got on.

Oh dear. Things didn't start off well, as twenty-minutes outside of Tel Aviv the warning light came on telling me all was not well with the air suspension. Then the traction control would cut power to the wheels for no apparent reason. And it was raining. Hard.

But after a while, the weather improved, and I once again got a feel for the Pepper. So what did I think? I've been well and truly spoilt by the 993. Don't get me wrong, the Pepper handles amazingly... for an SUV. It is heavy. Most of the controls lack feel. The gearbox is AWFUL (sometimes it'll kick down two gears, sometimes one, and sometimes not at all), and you don't have much faith in the car sticking to the line you want to take.

At zero-hour, as I climbed into the driver's seat for the outbound journey, I wondered if maybe I had made a mistake using the Golf so much recently. Parked the Pepper back in the garage on the return having used over a tank-and-a-half for a 400km round-trip journey, I realised again why I preferred using my Gti...

... and why the Cayenne is a Porsche in name, but the 993 is a Porsche in soul.

PS: Please forgive the quality of the pics... camera phone... guilty as charged :-)
Attached Images    
Old 01-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Having check-engine lights and performance issues are always disheartening, especially when you embark on a trip - I hope you were able to at least salvage part of the trip and have an enjoyable time!

Time to take out the 993 and breathe a breath of fresh air!

Damien
Old 01-11-2007, 11:49 AM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Urbann,

"camera phone?"..... which camera phone is that?....those are the best pics I have seen yet to come from a camera phone.......must be the subject matter !

Anyway, thanks for sharing..... you mentioned one my favorite places to go in Israel....Rosh Pina.... it is really a very charming and quiet town with some unique hidden restaurants.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:11 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^ +1
Seriously, those are the best quality camera-phone pics I've ever seen.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:27 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys... I was really pissed off when I realised I didn't have my camera with me (usually carry at least my compact at all times). It was such a beautiful morning. Rosh Pina is on a hill, and the valley stretches all the way from the Kinneret (Sea of Galillee) to Mount Hermon. As it had been raining non-stop for a week, the mist had just cleared, and there was this beautiful freshness to the scenery, and a softness to the light, with a clear view all the way to Lebanon. If the camera had been better, the view was truly spectacular...

The phone's pretty good as a camera (Sony Ericsson K800i - has a 3.2MP "Cybershot" camera with autofocus, so no slouch), but the morning really deserved something better.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:36 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

3.2MP "Cybershot" camera with autofocus? Damn. That's better than my real digital camera. I've gotta write that down.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:07 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My first digital camera was a Sony--they do a great job.

Quick Reply: OT: Road Trip