Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

146 mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Reynard38
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speeding while weaving through traffic? Dumb. On an isolated piece of road with nobody else around... Come on! Who here hasn't done that. We drive Porsches people. If I wanted to drive the limit 24/7. I'd buy a Camry!
Old 12-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Devinwhite
First of all I would NEVER put anyone is harms way. The Hwy is a stretch that is open and no other cars were present so it was very safe for driving ‘for a moment at speed’ so please, for those of you on your soapbox, Please step off! Second- If I offended you or you don’t agree with this pic… That’s your issue!
Hey, you started the thread. If you can't stand the heat, get outta the kitchen!
Old 12-30-2006, 06:59 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Can some one get me a beer please, I think this is about to get good and I don't want to miss anything.
Danny any of that 2 fisted popcorn left? I'd get it all myself but am ill and in bed at this moment Someone help a brotha enjoy this
I'll fax you a six of Sierra Nevada....
Old 12-30-2006, 07:36 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Originally Posted by briefescape
DE`s More fun YES

DE `s More challenging NO

DE `s Safe NO Safer YES

Yes I am speaking with 140 +mph with the top down
165 mph with top up at the right situation . (no cops or deers crossing the hwy).

He who has not sin cast the first stone .
Safe"r"...agreed!!!

Challenging...absolutely...anybody can go in a straight line with their foot to the floor...but operating at the limits of traction...different story.

Sorry, I just don't get it...and I don't buy the "open road" "nobody around"...when you going 146 mph on a public highway you are covering a football field in less than 1.5 seconds...so you are only making a educated gues that "all is well" in front of you.

He posted it. I don't think it is smart...and said so. If others think it is OK...so be it. Plus..they were making popcorn so I felt I had to contribute.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:04 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
How about some great Porfidio Tequila instead? I have almost a case of it-Anejo, Plata, and single barrel Rum.
Si Senior Mucho's Gracias

Bull.....fax to 1-800-felt-like-sh*t-all-week many thanks

T- love ya, mean it

Now come on, I want to see some
Old 12-30-2006, 08:10 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

OK....in the spirit of things...this ought'a help...

was the engine tray on??????
Old 12-30-2006, 08:28 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=993inNC]Si Senior Mucho's Gracias

Thats what that cheap food coloring Jose Cuervo stuff for like $10 a 750ml does to ya.

On the other hand, I have had few rough nights after a mixture of tequila, wine, beer, and God knows how many whistle shots while partying in Mexico.

I was just in Puerto Vallarta the 6th-10th and snagged me another bottle of Porfidio-at the factory. Very good stuff, cant get in the US--at least the last time I even bothered to look into. Spendy-runs $100 a bottle for the Anejo and $50 for the single barrell rum.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:52 PM
rickw51
Instructor

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Risk, risk, risk.
State of Oregon ... 101 mph = $1001 speeding ticket, vehicle impounded, loss of license. Who knows how many dollars for 147 mph.
Popcorn is good ... amber ale is good ... bowl game on tube, not so good. This has filled some commercial time.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by briefescape

DE `s More challenging NO
What run group are you in?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:08 PM
993inNC
Race Car

[QUOTE=95 C4 993]
Originally Posted by 993inNC
Si Senior Mucho's Gracias

Thats what that cheap food coloring Jose Cuervo stuff for like $10 a 750ml does to ya.

On the other hand, I have had few rough nights after a mixture of tequila, wine, beer, and God knows how many whistle shots while partying in Mexico.

I was just in Puerto Vallarta the 6th-10th and snagged me another bottle of Porfidio-at the factory. Very good stuff, cant get in the US--at least the last time I even bothered to look into. Spendy-runs $100 a bottle for the Anejo and $50 for the single barrell rum.
I'll be in the Bahama's in a week and a half......I'll have to look for it. My sickness though has been Flu like symptoms this time. Wifie and daughter bring this crap home from the school my wife teaches at (same school chitlin goes to ). Damn petri dish those places can be. Thought I had it beat before Xmas, came back from a short pre Xmas trip and it hit me from Xmas til now (just coming down the back side of it finally and hopefully )

Now where's that smackdown? Do I have to go back to the 996 board to find entertainment? They're fighting over there about something.......exhaust parts I think (not mine of course)
Old 12-30-2006, 10:06 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of distance do you need to top out a 993? Are we talking airportrunway distance or greater?

Oh by the way - deer don't just hang out on highways - ask Christiano DaMata.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:11 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
What run group are you in?
Good day Mr. Mark

When I posted that i was reflecting back to last summer on the rallies I went on . It was a blast some of the rallies had a dozen car or so and others had up to three dozen . The one basic rule was "a porsche did not pass another porsche " so it would not become an all out street race . The DE you count time in minutes , Rallies you count it in hours ,to me that alone is more challenging . Going around a bend pushing it to the limits never going over n over the same bend not knowing if there is a pothole or a fallen rock to deal with .
Never saw someone putting other traffic at risk ,if you got stuck behind grandma well so be it you waited till was safe to pass and then you go.
If you felt not up to speed you went at your own speed and you met up at the next rendez-vous . No body pressured you to do any unsafe maneuvers .

Mark I understand coming from the east coast with all the population (lived there one year ) the opportunities may not be there and you have to restrict your "joie de vire" to a track . In my neck of the woods we still have a few places where you can let your 993 out n run freely .

You guys that enjoy this kind of stuff and play safe are always welcome to British Columbia and let your P-car run free . For schedules go this link www.pca-cwr.org and look up the calender for time n schedule for 2007 . They will post the event schedule for "2007 " after January 19 New years Gala
To your question " which run are you in " they don`t have a run for preemies like me
Too clarify the speeds I previously mention were not done on these rallies.

"Happy New Year" to you safer speed freeks n all to the rest "Boring New Year "
Old 12-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply. IMHO, if you'v never done a driver's ed event, it's a bit presumptuous to make a statement that DE's are less challenging than a club rally or, in the discussed situation in this thread, a 146 mph run. Anyone who thinks DE's aren't as challenging as a rally or driving over 130 mph is either the second coming of Wolf Henzler/Michael Schumacher/<insert your racing god here>, has never done a DE or is not driving hard enough at a DE. I've had some sessions in the red group where we were driving almost as fast as we would in a race, with some of the cleanest passes and *****-to-the-walls freight-training this side of an AMB timer.

Now, a real rally such as a WRC rally, now that's ten times more challenging than a DE or any lame club race.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:53 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 12-30-2006, 10:58 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Ok Mark I stand to be corrected I find rallies chanllenging . I do not race at tracks so I don`t know if it would be as or more chanllenging . Thanks for pointing it out I know I can count on you to point out my errors in statements My racing god is anybody that rides a Ariel Atom www.arielatom.com

Last edited by briefescape; 12-30-2006 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 146 mph