Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Anyone know anything about these E-bay wheels? (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/318070-anyone-know-anything-about-these-e-bay-wheels.html)

lowblow 12-14-2006 09:57 PM

Anyone know anything about these E-bay wheels?

I think someone may have already posted these but need some technical help. Will these fit a widebody?

Price looks too good to be true which scares me.

TIA

MIke

lowblow 12-14-2006 09:58 PM

Sorry-

Forgot the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-Po...QQcmdZViewItem

Mike

jdistefa 12-14-2006 10:07 PM

I bet they're boat anchors. I wonder how easily they'll bend?

lowblow 12-14-2006 10:17 PM

I'm sure they are heavy but they are forged. Isn't that the strongest construction? I currently have hollow technologies. I wouldn't mind these for looks alone as a cheap 2nd wheel.

I'd like to put them on and have my technologies re-finished.

Mike

Martin S. 12-14-2006 10:18 PM

There are NO bargains on wheels for a 993, sorry to...

report. Save your pennies and buy Porsche wheels, Kinesis, Fikse, BBS and some others of which I can recall at the moment. Most of these other wheels are crap...they are cheap to get, questionable quality, and tough to sell when disillusion sets it, and it will.

As Zig Ziglar once said (Paraphrase), "It is better to pay too much and get what you really want, that is a one time deal. But if you pay too little, and the product sucks, then every time you use it you probably say, Damn it, for a few $ more I could have had the real deal!" :to_order:

MY 2002 996 wheels are a bargain. They are cast aluminum, made by BBS and are the correct off set for a 993 car...that is just one option. :cheers:

lowblow 12-14-2006 10:19 PM

I simply love the look of these. Does anyoneknow of any better quality wheels that have a similar look?

Mike

tonytrini 12-14-2006 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by lowblow
I think someone may have already posted these but need some technical help. Will these fit a widebody?

Price looks too good to be true which scares me.

TIA

MIke

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/293737-finally-posting-my-new-993-photos.html

DaveM993 12-14-2006 10:51 PM

All that I have heard about Highline is that once you buy the wheels you are persona non grata. Just hope you don't have a problem.

I toyed with the ideal for a long time of getting something from them...but decided on a used set of BBS RS-GT Diamond Blacks. Cost more...but I don't regret it one bit.

993_Pilot 12-14-2006 11:29 PM

SSR GT3's available at Rennlist sponsor Tirerack... link

Or some SSR Gt3's on eBay wheels here

dhicks 12-15-2006 09:33 AM

My wheels are from Highline.....see avitar and pics below (sorry pic is only one In have on this computer)...they cost me $600 ..... I have had them for a year.....they always get comments (good comments) and I think look pretty good...they are driven every day (but will be swapped off for the winter) and have given me ZERO issues.....may be slightly heavy I think the rears were like 28 pounds and the fronts were like 22..........they gave me the look I wanted when I could not afford $3000 for wheels.....I give them a thumbs up. Arena also uses them and nas bougth 2-3 sets over the last year......wait for a pair nobody is bidding on and go for it......

tonytrini 12-15-2006 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by dhicks
My wheels are from Highline.....see avitar and pics below (sorry pic is only one In have on this computer)...they cost me $600 ..... I have had them for a year.....they always get comments (good comments) and I think look pretty good...they are driven every day (but will be swapped off for the winter) and have given me ZERO issues.....may be slightly heavy I think the rears were like 28 pounds and the fronts were like 22..........they gave me the look I wanted when I could not afford $3000 for wheels.....I give them a thumbs up. Arena also uses them and nas bougth 2-3 sets over the last year......wait for a pair nobody is bidding on and go for it......

I've seen these wheels close up..hawt...

very nice wheels..ah...park kinda far from that white line..eh :roflmao:

ZombiePorsche44 12-15-2006 01:49 PM

Looks and strength are two very different things. I was at Phoenix raceway in the late 90's and saw a rear cheap (1k for 4) wheel come apart at the hub which caused one of my local SD race friends, David Le Sage to hit the wall in turn one.

He save a thousand or so on the wheels vs Speedlines or Kinesis and totalled a 50k race car........you do the math.

ZP44

Arena993 12-15-2006 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by dhicks

+1

I have bought three sets of these and have had the same experience as Dave. Can't beat the price and I have had 0 issues and get people asking me here where to get them. Once yesterday.

Crimson Nape Racing 12-15-2006 02:00 PM

a couple comments - first, they are "forged design" not forged. what they really mean is that is a design similar to a forged wheel. second, IMHO, I would never use aftermarket wheels for the track, but I would for the street.

ZombiePorsche44 12-15-2006 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
a couple comments - first, they are "forged design" not forged. what they really mean is that is a design similar to a forged wheel. second, IMHO, I would never use aftermarket wheels for the track, but I would for the street.

Bad things happen on the street too, I have never and will never mount aftermarket wheels on any 911 I own with the exceptions of Kinesis or HRE's.................ZP44