Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Does parking "way out" make you a target?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 06:03 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys that park next to "good neighbors" must be going to movies or club meetings where everyone goes and comes on schedule. The rest of the time you'll park next to an upscale and 15 minutes later he's gone and a pick'um up truck or land yacht shoehorns in.

As soon as I got home, I had a replacement reflector ordered from Sunset, and fixed it without thinking about taking pictures.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by ecobb993
...15 minutes later he's gone and a pick'um up truck or land yacht shoehorns in...
Touche
Old 12-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BS911
I take the opposite approach. Rather than looking for a spot out in nowhere, I look for a spot with "good neighbors." Maybe a nice Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes with a nice gap between the spaces. Avoid big old American cars like old Lincoln's with 8 foot wing spans with the doors open, or pickup trucks with bumper stickers that say "My kid beat up your honor roll student" or Calvin pissing on something window decals.
Pardon the stereotyping, but I have had very bad lucks with careless Mercedes owners. I am not talking about single incident, but a general pattern that I observe over the year.

Safest thing is to find a wide spot...
Old 12-14-2006, 07:37 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Academictech
Time heals everything. Be sure to post pic's of the damage when it happens.
Dude don't throw the jinx on me! and have you always been so negative?

ZP44
Old 12-14-2006, 09:17 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a multi-page thread on this not too long ago. I'll repeat in nutshell version what I posted before. There are people who hate Porsche (or any nicere-car-than-they-have) drivers. If you park way out, you're drawing attention to yourself and attracting such people. However, the vast majority of people are decent, law abiding citizens who have no desire to damage others' property. So, if you park in a normal spot along with everyone else, chances are the people on either side of you are normal decent people, and your car will be fine. Park way out, and you've exposed all sides of your car to the low-lifes, and made it easy for them to damage it.

So, to anser the op, yes, parking way out makes you a target.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:22 PM
flyenby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of mercedes, Bmws, and other upper end cars tend to be leases, and the owners are just as careless.............
Old 12-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an algorithm I apply when searching for parking. The fact the car is small helps too.

In order of preference:

(1) End spot
(2) Spot next to handicap stall-- the kind with a crosshatched portion next to where their car/van goes;
(3) Spot between 2 clean, well maintained cars
(4) At least 6 spots away from anybody else

I always factor in where the cart corrals are, the most likely place carts would roll to, whether people entering/exiting the parking lot at speed might clip a bumper, etc.

I drive my car to, and park it in, crappy neighborhoods. Never had a problem yet in 3 separate Porsches. My observation is that people there appreciate the car too, and are surprised and happy to talk to somebody who owns one that isn't snooty or uptight. A few minutes spent chatting about the car with a group of people just hanging out on the street is good insurance; you get a pleasant conversation, and a group of guys who will informallly keep an eye on your car for you because you're a person to them now, instead of an abstract stereotype. I'd be more worried leaving it set unattended in the materialistic burbs. I've had good car conversations with homeless people, including one dude who not only correctly identified my car as being a 928 but knew the year too-- something a lot of people on this board couldn't do.

BTW, I use my parking algorithm with ALL my cars, not just the Porsche.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:09 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Thaddeus, nicely said! I've had similar experiences. A little friendly chat, being a Porsche 'spokesman', goes a long way.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

In many areas in this region, it is an instant target sign when people park out from the other parkers/take two spots. Most common modification found when one returns is a FULL keying of the car...all body panels and roof. More of a problem in more urban areas than in the outer burbs.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:24 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the minds of idiot and morons, yes it makes you a target. To the average person who could give a crap where and how someone parks regardless of the car, like myself, no.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:02 AM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JC, I can appreciate your situation growing up in Atlanta. Here in KC, I can park on an end space or out in the boonies and have no issues, but I can recall parking anywhere in Buckhead, Marietta, downtown, Virginia Highlands, you name it, and if you parked close you got door dings. Park out, and some nimrod parks next to you like 3" from your door. Something in south must program idiots to think if you park anywhere besides the closest to the entrance you're being elitist and need to have your car dinged.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Thaddeus
I have an algorithm I apply when searching for parking. The fact the car is small helps too.

In order of preference:

(1) End spot
(2) Spot next to handicap stall-- the kind with a crosshatched portion next to where their car/van goes;
(3) Spot between 2 clean, well maintained cars
(4) At least 6 spots away from anybody else

I always factor in where the cart corrals are, the most likely place carts would roll to, whether people entering/exiting the parking lot at speed might clip a bumper, etc.

I drive my car to, and park it in, crappy neighborhoods. Never had a problem yet in 3 separate Porsches. My observation is that people there appreciate the car too, and are surprised and happy to talk to somebody who owns one that isn't snooty or uptight. A few minutes spent chatting about the car with a group of people just hanging out on the street is good insurance; you get a pleasant conversation, and a group of guys who will informallly keep an eye on your car for you because you're a person to them now, instead of an abstract stereotype. I'd be more worried leaving it set unattended in the materialistic burbs. I've had good car conversations with homeless people, including one dude who not only correctly identified my car as being a 928 but knew the year too-- something a lot of people on this board couldn't do.

BTW, I use my parking algorithm with ALL my cars, not just the Porsche.
12,600+ posts???? Holy cow, are you the champion poster? Nice algorithm. I can only expect a Porsche owner to have such an algorithm when it comes to such mundane tasks that everyone else just doesn't think about. Interesting how so many P-car owners think about everything...
Old 12-15-2006, 03:01 AM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I only park if I can find an end spot otherwise I am not parking and I get as close to the curb as possible so that there is lots of room between me and the other car. Also the car next to me has to be relatively ding free too and in good shape. I also try to make sure that the end spot has the least amount of foot traffic as possible to avoid people scraping their shopping bags as they walk by the car.

I never park in Siberia as it just draws too much attention to the car and gives the general population that you are just too good to park with them and I never take more than 1 car space
Old 12-15-2006, 03:58 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do. Parking away from other cars, gives no hiding spots for thieves as well. Having places to hide on both sides gives "them" time to do bad things...It also gives you time to admire your Pcar that much longer while walking back...
Old 12-15-2006, 07:58 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
12,600+ posts???? Holy cow, are you the champion poster? Nice algorithm. I can only expect a Porsche owner to have such an algorithm when it comes to such mundane tasks that everyone else just doesn't think about. Interesting how so many P-car owners think about everything...
No way am I the champion poster. There's guys in OT who have been on RL for only a year or so who have a higher post count.

Quick Reply: Does parking "way out" make you a target?