Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Announcement: Carrera 4 - bought for $15,000 2 days ago (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/317723-announcement-carrera-4-bought-for-15-000-2-days-ago.html)

Steve 96C4S 12-14-2006 01:14 AM

Sick deal. Congrats. Hope to see you at the Spring "Rennlist Meet and Drive" here in the MD/DC area. You might want to consider clear front turn signals to replace the amber ones. They look cool on your car. Oh yeah, and alum pedals. And...

Steve R

hddude 12-14-2006 02:17 AM

Coount me in the skeptical, you get what you pay for group. It's a great car but "in dire need " of cosmetics and tuning? Oh well, as long as you think you stole the car that's all that matters.

chris walrod 12-14-2006 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by hddude
Coount me in the skeptical, you get what you pay for group. It's a great car but "in dire need " of cosmetics and tuning? Oh well, as long as you think you stole the car that's all that matters.

As face value, these reports of 'cheap' 993's do seem skeptical, but as someone like myself who have bought many many cars, and many of them have been too-good-to-be-true types of deals, they are out there. And once you stumble upon one, gotta be prepared to jump-in with both feet.

The black 993 I just bought was one of those too-good-to-be-true deals despite it being listed by a great guy and Rennlister. His word was true with respect to condition etc., and I couldnt be happier:)

I think that some folks who discount such 'deals' or stories of 'deals' may be showing a bit on envy, as I know I have been envious of many of these deals.

alpinadvl 12-14-2006 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by chris walrod
As face value, these reports of 'cheap' 993's do seem skeptical, but as someone like myself who have bought many many cars, and many of them have been to-good-to-be-true types of deals, they are out there. And once you stumble upon one, gotta be prepared to jump-in with both feet....I think that some folks who discount such 'deals' or stories of 'deals' may be showing a bit on envy, as I know I have been envious of many of these deals.

I agree as well. The to-good-to-be-true deals sometimes are just "good". (I have bought 3 other cars this way). And I dont blame others for being skeptical.....especially when I did something so "stupid" as not bringing it to a PPI (which is something I do not recommend). But at $15,000 the car is worth more than that in parts (worst case) And the person I bought the car from is actually a porsche enthusiast....he has had every style 911 since 78 I believe, and bought a 996 C4S 1 week after we shook hands on the 993. In addition, he used to sell a specific enthusiast products for every year 911. I am not saying who he is on purpose....but everyone who has owned a 911 since the 911sc will know this guy. When I was sitting in his work area chatting with him, I asked him...."wait a minute.....what is this and that doing all over your work area?" Turns out I knew him, even though I had only heard of this guy. So the car was a unique find, and the person was also - and we have already made plans to stay in touch (I think he just cant "let go" of the 993 ! ;) )

PS: as for the car being in "dire need of some tuning and cosmetic work" - it really only has the bubbling at 2 spots on the rear window. But I was just playing fun at all the things I plan to do to get the car to suit my tastes (that's what I mean by cosmetic upgrade - such as the roof spoiler/brake light, carrera 2s split grill and european rear lenses (all bought already!). 993's are special cars....and when I am done with mine, it will be one of the nicest 993s out there ! (I will explain my "street cred" another time...but believe me, I have a lot of credibility with the 993 community, even though I haven't really come clean with all of you! I will explain at a later time). I am really pleasantly suprised at all the enthusiasts just chiming in - and for really "no reason" telling me they are taking pleasure in the fact that I am taking pleasure in this 993. That tells me people here are really enthusiastic...very cool.

PS: The free stereo and speaker offer has already been taken !

Terry Adams 12-14-2006 11:40 AM

There are people who, against all naysayer advice, buy Google stock at the $90 IPO price. And people who buy a pretty nice 993 at the can't go wrong $15K price. On the surface, we think they are lucky or foolish risk takers. In fact, they have spent years doing their due diligence, and pounce on known value when they see it.

RallyJon 12-14-2006 11:44 AM

Wow, that is the worst analogy ever. :D

Quadcammer 12-14-2006 12:29 PM

whats with all the secrecy about your "street cred"? From what I've seen on internet boards, most people who claim to have lots of "street cred", but won't tell you what it is, are usually FOS.

DC from Cape Cod 12-14-2006 12:31 PM

I miss the old Rennlist.

alpinadvl 12-14-2006 01:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Wow Quadcammer, that comment was really unnecessary. I will take it just as a friendly jab or "challenge" and we can leave it at that. No reason to bring the mood down.

ANYWAY..... Here are some pics!!!

:to_order:

tonytrini 12-14-2006 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by alpinadvl
Wow Quadcammer, that comment was really unnecessary. I will take it just as a friendly jab or "challenge" and we can leave it at that. No reason to bring the mood down.

ANYWAY..... Here are some pics!!!

:to_order:

nice car :D

tonytrini 12-14-2006 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by tonytrini
nice car :D

even has wide ovals..

993inNC 12-14-2006 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
whats with all the secrecy about your "street cred"? From what I've seen on internet boards, most people who claim to have lots of "street cred", but won't tell you what it is, are usually FOS.

Yeah that was a little uncool man. With 71 posts (and a USER) don't come in here and piss on the man's wheaties :grr: you haven't earned (or paid for) the right to do so. He got a smoking deal (as it looks on the surface). Leave it be. If he's FOS, so be it, he's happy with it. I would done the same thing he did and not thought twice.

Having said that, our new friend Mr. Alpina needs to pony up for the membership so he can fully enjoy the perks and wisdom of this place if he is going to upset the cart with a purchase (and post)like that.

cab&coupe 12-14-2006 01:36 PM

Bravo... Alpin... very nice find that will produce thousands of smiles per mile :cheers:

mjsporsche 12-14-2006 03:09 PM

If the photos are any indication of the condition, you have a terrific buy. $15K for a 993.....sign me up.

Now, I need to stop every 993 I see and ask the same leading question. Great line....

Mark

InTheAir 12-14-2006 04:40 PM

That is awesome.

I've always said I'd like a 994 C4 for winter driving, but a $15K 993 C4 would be even better! :thumbup: