Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone had problems with Vertex-sourced HID kits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:36 PM
rdurff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone had problems with Vertex-sourced HID kits?

Hi Folks,

First, let me start right off the bat by saying this is not a dig on Vertex. I've had good experiences the 2-3 times I've ordered parts through them. Right now I'm just trying to see what the problem is and whether I'm the only one who ended up with a faulty part.

My passenger side HID low beam has died on me after about 6 months of usage. I bought a kit along with others during the group buy back in June. (See this post for reference.) Has anyone else had problems with lights from this kit? Installation was trouble free and have had no issues with it until last week.

Symptoms were gradual: I first noticed that the passenger side light was flickering just a bit - barely noticeable. I checked all connections and couldn't find a problem. Then, a day or so later, the light went dark after about 20 minutes of usage. If I turned the lights off and back on, it would come back. As of last night, it's out altogether.

Anyhow, just curious if anyone else has experienced similar.

Thanks,
-Robert
Old 12-12-2006, 09:49 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a bulb go bad, then a ballast go bad. The guys @ Vertex were awesome - I called them and they immediately sent replacement parts. Excellent customer service.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One of my ballasts or igniters or whatever they're called had intermittant problems firing up the lamp, although this began immediately after the installation. Vertex replaced the faulty unit free of charge, and it's worked like a champ for over six months now.

Vertex service was absolutely spectacular in every respect throughout the initial purchase and problem resolution.

Sounds like your problem may be with the bulb, however. Can you swap with the one on the driver's side to see if the problem changes sides?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:46 AM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Robert: Check out this thread on previous problems

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=vertex
Old 12-13-2006, 01:24 PM
rdurff
Advanced

Great, thanks for all the responses! I will give Vertex a call and see what can be sorted out.

Cheers,
-Robert
Old 12-13-2006, 04:09 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Robert: you have a PM
Old 12-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

I've finally concluded that though I asked for 4300K lights in the GB I must have got 5k or even 6K- they are very blue to my eye.

Having a hard time matching H3's and H1's for the fogs an hi beams. If anyone can assist- appreciated.

Apart from that they work fine.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:51 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ritter...I also ordered the 4300's and when I got the package, it was labeled 4300 on it. If you still have the box, check it out. I know that 4300 were hard to come by.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Jim W
Instructor

I had similar problems and Vertex sent me a new set.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:18 AM
rdurff
Advanced

Resolution to the original problem:

I switched around the bulbs / ballasts to troubleshoot, and it appeared that one bulb was gone. (Time consuming troubleshooting considering all the wire snaking and removing / replacing of the light units...) I called Vertex and they were happy to send me a replacement 6000k bulb free of charge. (This replacement bulb, incidentally, has a better rubber grommet to seal the wires in and is easier to install.) Installing the new bulb has solved the problem, and my twin bluish lasers are back on the road.

Again, solid customer care from Vertex.

Thanks to all those who posted in response and directed me to other threads!

Cheers,
-Robert
Old 03-23-2007, 12:44 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Lately Ive been having my right side light not firing everytime. It got so bad that the light never fired. I think my problem was due to the porsche connector where the headlight connects to the car inside the fender. I sprayed contact cleaner in the plug after removing the headlight and have had no problems firing the light now after a week of driving with lights on everywhere I go. I hope that solved the problem long term. I think these lights are very sensitive to supply and ground resistance. Others may want to try this.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I have had the Catz HID's for about five years now and have experienced no problems. Admittedly, my car has seen very little night-time duty in the past four years.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:39 PM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by tj90
Lately Ive been having my right side light not firing everytime. It got so bad that the light never fired. I think my problem was due to the porsche connector where the headlight connects to the car inside the fender. I sprayed contact cleaner in the plug after removing the headlight and have had no problems firing the light now after a week of driving with lights on everywhere I go. I hope that solved the problem long term. I think these lights are very sensitive to supply and ground resistance. Others may want to try this.
TJ I am having the same problem.. Or even worse in fact.. First the passenger sida didn't fire every time.. Then it never fired.. Then the drivers side didn't fire either (after about a month). And now they only fire occationally (once a month). I will do the restraining clip fix, which I am hoping will fix this.. I will spray the contacts with contact cleaner for sure, thanks for the heads up . So eventhough the HID kit does not use the porsche PIN connector, this can still cause problems?
Old 03-23-2007, 05:46 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vhanzon
So eventhough the HID kit does not use the porsche PIN connector, this can still cause problems?
I installed the Vertex kit almost a year ago so I cant remember how exactly its wired it, but short answer to your question is yes. I dont remember the specifics but definitely uses the porsche connector.

What was wierd, was the high beam halogen still worked even though the low beam did not fire. Soak both sides of the connector and install the light before it all evaporates to get a good mechanical scrubbing of the connector while the solvent is present. Stay away from your paint finish - dont know if contact cleaner will hurt your finish, but better to play it safe.

Good luck, I hope that solved my problem for good - only time will tell. My ballast was not making the tale-tale buzzing or excessive heat that some claimed when their HID failed.

Quick Reply: Anyone had problems with Vertex-sourced HID kits?