993 Forum 1995-1998

Spoiler Bearing Part Number?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:50 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cincy_Ron
Hey guys, I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but I came across this during a search. My spoiler gearbox isn't too noisy at all right now but I can slightly hear it when I'm at idle during a stop when the spoiler retracts. Thought a bearing replacement would be a good winter project. I noticed that there is one on Ebay, Item # 250190541261

My question is whether part number 625-2Z/+P63 on eBay would work even though the /+P63 is different than the /C3LHT23 shown in the picture above. Any bearing experts on here?

Thanks!
No expert ... but 625 is the magic number describing the bearing you need: when followed by 'DS' or '2Z', the bearing has dust shields and/or grease shields on either side - which is the one to get. Most bearing suppliers have top quality ones in the $5 range. The oem used bearing in the top pic, left, is open to the water that migrates into the gear case along the drive cable - which is the common failure mode ... rust.

If you can barely hear it now, the bearing may still be good as new. Keep it that way by sealing the cable to the case with a wrap of stretch tape or a wipe of grease.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, thanks for the info Garth. After further reading last night, and the PITA it sounds like to get the gear case open and then re-sealed I think I'll do just what you said, seal the cable to the case. I have a roll of coax-seal from back in my amateur radio days that I may try.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:06 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

An O-ring placed onto the drive cable near the wing motor transmission can prevent water from running down the cable into the bearing. I believe this is what causes the bearings to go bad.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:53 AM
David Schiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another method: i smeared anhydrous lanolin around the junction after shooting Kroil[ the OIL that Creeps} into the junction when parked on a driveway nose down so gravity helped the Kroil get in. the Lanolin intruded into the junction seems to keep the water out , very sticky stuff lanolin. maybee im deaf but barely hear it 105K miles.
.02, ds
Old 01-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally changed my bearing today. I had the bearing on hand for over six months.
Used the P-car DIY. Thanks Robin.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the grinding noise for years. Until I squirted anti-corrosion oil onto every moving part a few weeks ago. Voila! It's been silent since. So much so that I've had to raise and lower it manually when the car's parked just to make sure it's still working (that noise was good for something!).

Last edited by Leander; 01-14-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure, find quick fix. That's no fun.

Quick Reply: Spoiler Bearing Part Number?