Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a real nice one if they still have it:

http://roslyn.porschedealer.com/preo...ntoryid=336383
Old 01-08-2008, 10:28 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Also, something to consider, which won't be detected in a PPI, is whether the car needs (or is close to needing) a top end job, which can run around $6,000. In my mind, this is the dirty little secret of the legendary, bullet-prf, 993 engine.

Even a 993 which passes compression and leakdown tests with flying colors might need valve work necessitating a top end. The only way to know is to learn about the car's oil consumption, which you may not be able to easily ascertain-- but it is worth looking into if you can somehow carefully check the service records.

The consensus seems to be that 600-700 miles per quart = time for a top end.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Sapper
Cruisin'

I purchased my 1998 Targa 3-4 months ago for $31k. It had 76k miles at time of purchase, and I looked for this car for about a year. It took some time, but I am soooo happy with it.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do this...

Keep the TDi and get a '95 993 when you feel ready to do so. The wiring harness has probably been done on any car you look at already and I suspect a lot of folks are driving around without the harness update and doing just fine. You can get the VIN of the car you are looking at and your local dealer can probably 'run it' for you and determine if it has been done or not. There's lots of nice cars out there - stay tuned in on this Forum and use the Search function. Also look at pcar.com to learn some DIY tricks...see Pelican.com aslo. You'll learn all the little nuances that go into generating an informed assessment of your dream car for sale. On top of that, there are Rennlisters across the nation that would take a look at a car for you should you be unable to swing the trip to do so - and on top of that, the more eyes on the car the better.

Originally Posted by NewYorkBuck
Hello all. I have lurked for some time, but this is my inaugural post. Being a past owner of a 944 turbo, I have long lusted for a 911, and have decided that now is the time. My choices have come down to either a 2002-2003 turbo, or a 1996-1997 993. For several reasons that I will not bore you with, I am now leaning towards the 993. My question to all of you good people is the following -

1) Much that I have read has told me that a nice 96-97 non turbo 911 should sell somewhere in the range of 32-42k. However, my latest trolls of ebay and auto trader in my area (NYC metro) reveals that many are going for high 40s to mid 50s! Is this real normal range, or are these buyers just delusional. I dont mind paying a premium for condition or low miles, but this range seems way out of whack in what I am reading.

2) Other than the standard PPI and wiring harness questions, is there anything that I absolutely need to be aware of pre-purchase?

3) My current daily driver is a Jetta TDI, which I plan to sell if I buy the Porsche. Is there any problem with the idea of a 993 as a daily driver. (I take public transportation to work, so the miles should be <10,000 per annum).

4) Does anyone know of a good 993 in my area for sale that is worth a look?

Thx in advance for any help.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:18 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't limit yourself to 50K miles or you might miss some good cars.

I think mine showed more typical wear when I bought it with 68K miles. Decent overall but a number of rock chips up front and the leather hadn't been taken care of well so seats (esp driver's seat) are more worn than I'd like.

I looked at a car with 95K miles (a triple black 96) that had a top-end done. Sold out from under me which was a disappointment - I test drove it and it was perfect, paint was spotless, interior was (really) almost as new.

Quick Reply: Looking for a 993....