993 Forum 1995-1998

1ST GEAR STICKS-NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:35 AM
FLCERIK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1ST GEAR STICKS-NEED HELP

Every once in a while after driving in 1st gear and coming to a stop it is very difficult to get the car out of first gear. I especially notice it when I am on a hill. Sometimes when I start the car and it is in 1st gear the car will surge forward a couple of inches then. Of course the clutch is depressed when all of this happens. Does anyone have an idea of why this happens. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:56 AM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like your clutch is not dis-engaging correctly. I remember seeing some threads about clutch pedal adjustment a while ago. Try doing a search - I'll see if I can track it down.
Do you have any crunching in the other gears when trying to select them?

Last edited by sidned; 09-29-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:04 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have experienced this same problem from time to time. I am interested to hear the guru's chime in here.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FLCERIK
Every once in a while after driving in 1st gear and coming to a stop it is very difficult to get the car out of first gear. I especially notice it when I am on a hill. Sometimes when I start the car and it is in 1st gear the car will surge forward a couple of inches then. Of course the clutch is depressed when all of this happens. Does anyone have an idea of why this happens. Thanks for the help.
Hi:

From the sound of it, it looks like your clutch is not releasing completely. This can be caused by several things:

1) Slave cylinder failure

2) Old contaminated clutch system fluid (compressible)

3) Clutch disc dragging on input shaft due to corrosion

I would bleed the clutch hydraulics first, and if the car has more than 50K on it, I'd replace the slave cylinder. Oftentimes, these do not last as long as they should due to owner negligence in bleeding/flushing the clutch fluid when the brakes are done,... I see a lot of cars with old, brown fluid that prevents the clutch from proper disengagement.

If the car sits a lot during the winter, one can accumulate a little layer of rust/corrosion on the transmission input shaft that causes the disc to hang slightly. The cure is to pull the transmission and polish the input shaft followed by a thin layer of Porsche's Optimax lube to prevent recurrence.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:49 PM
FLCERIK
Advanced

I do not have any crunching between gears. Another weird thing it does is when I drive in traffic the clutch engages right away instead of at the top as normal. Any ideas????
Old 09-30-2006, 11:13 AM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

Mine does this as well. When I bought the car the PO said it needed a clutch soon and I think this is what made him think so . I have not experienced any slipping. BTW the clutch, pedal did not come all the way up during a PPI . This was noted, but I have not noticed it happen .
Old 09-30-2006, 11:30 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

im with steve, bleed it and replace the slave if its over 50k and see if it helps, ive seen it fix alot of cars

Quick Reply: 1ST GEAR STICKS-NEED HELP