993 Forum 1995-1998

RS clutch problem after 13,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 06:32 PM
lenticular
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS clutch problem after 13,000 miles?

The one problem that is bugging me with my '95 993 and sucking much of the pleasure out of driving it relates to my clutch. I had an RS Clutch and LWF installed by a good local shop in April of 04. The clutch shifted perfectly until November '05 (about 13,000 miles later) when I noticed a slight grinding feeling as it approached the floor and again as it came back up. Also, I had the clutch pedal hang problem, which I solved in Jan '06 by doing the kinematic lever upgrade.

In an effort to get rid of the grinding sensation, I replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders, flushed the system and bled it many times. Each step would make the grinding go away for a while (as long as 2 weeks when I replaced the master cylinder), but it always came back.

So far, I have taken it to two of the "name" independent shops in town, only to be told that racing clutches are like that -nothing can be done. The shop that installed the clutch says that there is 30% wear on the clutch that is causing the feeling, but they don't recommend a clutch replacement. They also say that I may have hyperextended (the slave cylinder?) when I drove it without the floorboard.

The car shifts normally, but every time I feel that grind when I push in the clutch pedal, it is like stepping on broken glass. I can almost enjoy the rattle of the LWF, and happily clean that ISV so that my car won't stall, because that is a race car thing. I accept that I will need to replace the rear tires at least once a year, because AX chews up tires. I like fiddling with the setting on my PSS9s. But, for the life of me, I cannot tolerate the feel of my clutch pedal. I used to drive my 993 to work most days, but have left it at home because of this problem.

Although I have autocrossed once a month for two years or so, I mainly used the clutch to get me from 1st to 2nd, where I stay for most of the course. I don't pop the clutch on the streen or AX course.

So, I've failed to fix the problem myself, or find a mechanic who sees it as a fixable problem. I guess that leaves me with getting a new clutch just 2.5 years after I had the last one installed.

If I've got to bite the bullet, is it worth going with another RS clutch? What kind of life have people seen from their RS clutches? Does your clutch have a grinding feel to it when you push the pedal in? Will my LWF work with a standard clutch if I decide to go that route?

Thanks for your advice.

-John
Old 09-23-2006, 12:24 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by lenticular
I noticed a slight grinding feeling as it approached the floor and again as it came back up...I replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders, flushed the system and bled it many times...They also say that I may have hyperextended (the slave cylinder?) when I drove it without the floorboard.
The sound you're hearing could be the back of the release fork pushing against the front of the pressure plate. Even when you hyper-extended the slave cylinder by not using the floorboard the clutch should be okay once you put the floor board back. So the first thing you should check is the clutch pedal travel and adjust the pedal stop so that the travel is 150 +- 5mm. If that doesn't work there are a few other things to check before replacing anything!

Quick Reply: RS clutch problem after 13,000 miles?