Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   I bought a Bend-Pak MD-6XP Lift, Wow..... (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/300142-i-bought-a-bend-pak-md-6xp-lift-wow.html)

pstraub 09-21-2006 02:06 AM

I bought a Bend-Pak MD-6XP Lift, Wow.....

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up my scissor lift down in Southern Cal last weekend and drove it home to the Bay Area in the back of my pickup. I rented an engine hoist to lift it out of my truck bed and set it on the garage floor. I am very impressed so far, the quality is amazing for $1499. Bend-Pak (no affiliation) is in Santa Paula, California and apparently the lift is made right there. The welding and construction look top notch, it was awesome to see my 993 raised 4 feet in the air in my garage! Now I am ready to tackle Jeff's suspension DIY! :cheers:

AndyT 09-21-2006 08:20 AM

cool how much does it weigh ? the rotary brand one has wheels so you can suppossedly wheel it around.

jimq 09-21-2006 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the same lift for about a year now. Havent had any problems with it. Sure makes changing the suspension easier! I think it weighs a bit over 900#. The lift motor has a trailer hitch like protrusion you hook on the front of the lift and it can be rolled around.
This is how it looks if you pick it up from the truck depot. I used a $25 U-Haul to get mine because I could just slide it on the ground.
Another thing is it makes a great variable height work bench with a piece of plywood on top :)

kalumbian 09-21-2006 09:27 AM

very nice. I am looking into one of this for my new garage. How stable is it when lifted?
I am assuming it is pneumatic...does it come with a compressor or are you using one you already had?

jnx 09-21-2006 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by kalumbian
very nice. I am looking into one of this for my new garage. How stable is it when lifted?
I am assuming it is pneumatic...does it come with a compressor or are you using one you already had?

It is self contained, it comes with a hydraulic pump that is connected to a dolly type thing which you hook up to the front and pull it around. Now that said, it is very heavy, mine is over 1000 lbs and I am not able to move it very easily. I also had to make some ramps from 2x12 lumber in order to get clearance. I purchased mine in Indiana, which was close enough for me to drive there to see it prior to purchase. Here is the link where I got mine www.gregsmithequipment.com no affiliation, just happy with the product and the price.

If you want pic's let me know and I will email them. I can't seem to post pic's here for some odd reason.

Jay

MarkD 09-21-2006 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by pstraub
I picked up my scissor lift down in Southern Cal last weekend and drove it home to the Bay Area in the back of my pickup. I rented an engine hoist to lift it out of my truck bed and set it on the garage floor. I am very impressed so far, the quality is amazing for $1499. Bend-Pak (no affiliation) is in Santa Paula, California and apparently the lift is made right there. The welding and construction look top notch, it was awesome to see my 993 raised 4 feet in the air in my garage! Now I am ready to tackle Jeff's suspension DIY! :cheers:

Hey, you're in my backyard. I'm in Oakley.

I picked up one of these a while back. I love it. Well worth it. I had mine drop shipped and then painfully moved it back to my shop... not an easy trek, that thing is heavy!

Beware, if you bring the ride height down you will need to make some ramps/platforms. If you have any questions, let me know!
Some have posted pics here in another thread.

Slow Guy 09-21-2006 12:37 PM

I've had the same lift for about 6 - 7 mos. now. Works very well. Although it's said to be mobile it doesn't move very easily on it's own "wheels" (rollers actually). Stability is NOT an issue. Since I didn't want the rollers gouging ruts in my garage I had a local aluminum shop cut some (apx) 12" x 84" x 1/4" sheets to go under the roller section to protect the concrete. I also have 2" x 10 / 2 x 8's stacked/screwed together to drive the cars on for clearance over the lift. I can take some photos of the setup after I take the car off.

I got mine through these guys, fast shipping and no issues.
http://www.asedeals.com/mid_rise_lift.html

pstraub 09-21-2006 12:47 PM

Platforms/Ramps

Hi Mark, yes, you definitely need some sort of platform if your car is lowered. My 993 is the normal US ride height so it just clears the lift with no problems. However, I am in the process of lowering the car so I am using a couple 2x12 planks on each side of the car so it clears the lift. That gives me about 3" of height on each side. There have been several posts with pictures of this setup. Bottom line, it's a GREAT lift, I can't imagine going back to jacking and jack stands!! It uses an electric hydraulic pump that runs off normal 110V, the pump attaches to the dolly that is used to move the lift around. :thumbup:

cowtown 09-21-2006 03:07 PM

Do you think you could drop the transmission with this lift? I'm shopping too.

TRINITONY 09-21-2006 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by cowtown
Do you think you could drop the transmission with this lift? I'm shopping too.

discussed here ...https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...8&page=7&pp=15

John95cab 09-21-2006 03:51 PM

I just got one of these on ebay. They said they sell 2-3 a day! I plan to pick mine up next week. You can see a video of one of these in action: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/movies/midrise.asx

Bill Verburg 09-21-2006 05:02 PM

You might want to think about using some aluminum plate under the rollers.

I am amazed that you can drive over it w/o ramps. I needed ramps w/ a 4" rise to get mine over the lift.

FisterD 09-21-2006 06:21 PM

Please let me know when you are doing your suspension. If I'm free, I'll come by and lend a hand. I just live in Knightsen ( we met at Starbucks a couple of months ago with the pcar group). The lift looks great!

jnx 09-21-2006 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
You might want to think about using some aluminum plate under the rollers.

I am amazed that you can drive over it w/o ramps. I needed ramps w/ a 4" rise to get mine over the lift.

I used 3/8" plate steel to help spread the load, not sure I needed to but I have a friend who got the steel for free. It rolls pretty easy on smooth concrete, so not too sure you would need the aluminum although it wouldn't hurt.

Bill Verburg 09-21-2006 06:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Steel or aluminum are fine, concrete will be damaged before long. I use scraps of 3/8" aluminum hull plate at the rollers and pivot
the first pic is when I was starting to build the platform, the second is almost done, I needed to add another 1" layer to get the lowere 993 onto it.