Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

SRD's in a 993... anyone w/ pics & or thoughts?

Old 09-19-2006, 06:28 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SRD's in a 993... anyone w/ pics & or thoughts?

thinkin' of getting a pair of recaro srd's for the cab.

i enjoy spirited driving (as well as some lite daily commuting) and would like to have flexibility of adjustable/reclining seat backs but still have adequate side support.

was curious if any of you 993ers had 'em in your cars & what your thoughts might be on the seat.

tia for any input.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:03 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I've got a pair in my 951 that came from a 993. They're nice seats, more supportive than the factory sports seats in the 993. I little more restrictive in the seat area (I'm 5'9 and 215 with a michelin man profile). The cloth on mine has held up very well. Good street and occasional track seats.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:24 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Dont know if you have seen the thread below:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=recaro+SRD

I have had rides in 993's with SRD's and I was very impressed with how they feel and their look. Great seats indeed.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:00 PM
kalumbian
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have SRDs, but I dont have a 993. I have them in my Corrado.
I have had the seats for 3 years and more than 50,000 miles and the Avus fabric has proved to be incredibly durable. I use my car everyday and enjoy them immensely, probably the only modification I have not once regretted.

Of note, the replacements for the SRDs, the Speeds, feature deeper thigh bolsters.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:17 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have them in my Mustang but just stock seats in my 993. They are great seats and very comfortable and offer tons of lateral support. They are quite wide so it is a tight fit as the 993 is quite tiny. There are install instructions in p-car.com on the DIY of the SRDs

Scott
Old 09-19-2006, 06:48 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I have Speed seats in my 993 cab. They are SRD replacements and I've had SRDs before.

I highly recommend these seats. Especially if you are size 36 or smaller waist.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:53 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Like most everyone else posting a response, I have SRDs but in another car (or, had - they were in my 1984 track car). Really great on the track although not a true race seat, but also comfomrtable on the street.
New owner of my '84 drove the car from MA to NC without complaint, so they must be good street seats.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:42 PM
kalumbian
Advanced

I have driven from NY to Chicago and back, NY to Toronto and back, and NY to San Diego and back.

These are definitely good street seats.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:43 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow thanks guys for all the feedback... i will have to def. consider the width issue. the price on these puppies seems pretty cool for what ya get as well. i'm a 32" to 33" inch waist guy... so i think they will be great. will sit in them of couse before pullin' the trigger though. it was either these or the poles... but i'd like to still have moveable backs.... dunno why ( guess the occassional golf bag is reason enough ) & much thanks

i'm thinkin' cloth may be less sticky than the leather stocks as well... esp. in the cab. we shall see... i gotta' pull up that diy, would be great to do the install myself!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:05 PM
kalumbian
Advanced

I am a 36" waist and I have had friends who are much larger (40+) sit in them and they love them too. I have also had people with smaller waists (30-34) sit in them and like them as well. You will not have a problem.

As far as mounting them, are the stock seats not made by Recaro? If so there is a chance you can reused your stock seat brackets, as all Recaro seats this side of fixed chairs use the same mounting setup (3 bolts on each side).

If you want to purchase brackets, contact www.on-trackperformance.com.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:25 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich,

At one point I had installed some SR3 seats (JDM SRD's) in the 993. They are a tight fit for the car. The inside seat adjustment **** rubs the center console. You can "modify" the seat by lopping off that side adjuster as you will still have an adjuster on the other side of the seat. The outside bolster touched the door. Nothing major, but like I said... it's a tight fit.

Seat is much "deeper" and keeps you in place during hard cornering. Great seat... much better than the stock seat, but the stock seat is nice if you get in and out of the car a lot.

Seat install is very easy... followed the pcar DIY. Make sure you have the right brackets and sliders before you begin, though... and have the proper allen head socket to remove those cheesy seat bolts.

I can post some pictures if you would like, but they are on the computer at home... let me know.

Good luck... I know you'll love the seats.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:35 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

kalumbian, the brackets from the stock seats can not be re-used to install aftermarket Recaros. However Recaro or Wedge Engineering brackets work fine in a 993 (not always the case for other cars).
Old 09-20-2006, 12:39 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

An upudate on the seat from from the link posted to the previous link...

With the re-release of the SRD, I again have them in my 993 over the Recaro Speeds. The seat base is the same, but the SRD back is 3 inches wider and much more agressive in the seats side support.

I do not yet have pictures of my SRD's but Kelly has mentioned most all of the details of fitting SRD's in a 993.

Have fun with your decision.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:45 AM
kalumbian
Advanced

Originally Posted by nile13
kalumbian, the brackets from the stock seats can not be re-used to install aftermarket Recaros. However Recaro or Wedge Engineering brackets work fine in a 993 (not always the case for other cars).
Now I know. I am using Wedge Engineering brackets in my Corrado. Quality stuff.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:14 AM
ard
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts
Default consider the seat rake

I have recently installed SRDs in my 993 and I am very pleased. I owe a debt of gratitude to a fellow rennlister who helped me locate these seats in excellent used condition and walked me through the install.

Besides the pros (excellent support, guide openings if you are adding a 5-point harness) and the cons (need to remove inboard adjustment ****) I would add that you should carefully consider the rake of the seat base and how you want to sit in the car. I have my seats mounted directly to the rails and I have good clearance, with a helmet, in a sunroof coupe, but I have seen others adjust the rake of the seat base by adding spacers (of varying height) front and back.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SRD's in a 993... anyone w/ pics & or thoughts?