Sponsored by:

Cat Bypass easy to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 400 Posts

I realize the function of the springs are supposed to control it, but in addition w/pressure........? No?
No, the situation in an exhaust is not static, it varies w/ revs. In side the pipe the 2 primary events are
1) Gas flowing from the head to atmosphere
2) A series of rarefactions and compressions (an acoustic wave)

The gas flow speeds up and slows down depending on what constraints are imposed by PVT and pipe characteristics, which include dimensions but also include transitions, shape and internal structure.

The acoustic wave varies in frequency and length. These means that as the revs rise there is a constantly varying acoustic signature at the ports, when this is a rarefaction it helps remove spent combustion byproducts from the engine(this is a good thing) when it is a compression it impedes the flow(this is a bad thing). No matter what the exhaust there will always be some points in the rev range where good things are happening and some points where bad things are happening. The exhaust designer just makes an attempt to have the good things happening at the right time. In general the better the exhaust is at one particular point the worse it will be at other points, so an attempt is made to balance out the system maximizing the gains while minimizing the losses.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
How does a Harley compare to cat bypass with RSR? My car sounds so so quiet when driving next to a Harley.. And lately that's been quiet often.
The annoyance factor early in the morning
Old 08-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have cat bypass pipes. They are loud. I like it. But I primarily do it to help reduce underhood engine temperatures with a hope of benefiting engine life.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:28 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Have a can of some rust eater penetrating spray available and/or buy new bolts and nuts for the clamps and just break the bolts off or cut them off. I bought extra bolts and nuts.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:27 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey thanks for all the great input. I will just do the mufflers for a start and see what happens from there.
Resonance is something I will try to avoid.
On my 3.6 Turbo there was very little resonance with Fabspeed cat bypass and muffler, but the sound was great. Ovbiously a bit different with a NA car.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:06 PM
farmerjohn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK; Really dumb question here. I really don't know much about the exhaust system, other than knowing that it's a topic on par with airbox, induction, K&N, undertray, etc.

When one says "cat bypass", are they talking about removing the catalytic converter(s) and installing a straight pipe? And are we talking performance improvements or more dB's?
Old 08-30-2006, 11:14 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjohn
When one says "cat bypass", are they talking about removing the catalytic converter(s) and installing a straight pipe? And are we talking performance improvements or more dB's?
YES x3
Old 08-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

according to Fabspeed, you don't actually get any extra HP. Real benefits are less weight and less heat - the sound is just a bonus.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:45 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

"according to Fabspeed, you don't actually get any extra HP. Real benefits are less weight and less heat - the sound is just a bonus"

I know they don't, but why do they say these make 14 HP then?
I thought claims like that in America were illegal if they are not correct.
Doesn't bother me at all though, I'm still buying some mufflers.

Quick Reply: Cat Bypass easy to do?