Photo of Mahle filters cut apart

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Photo of Mahle filters cut apart

Below is photo of Mahle/Knecht oil filters from my car. One on left is engine filter and one on right attaches to thermostat housing on oil tank. They seem to be well made.

The OEM filters I purchased today at dealer are made in USA, I think they are Hastings; besides Porsche numbers one has LS 143 on it and the other has number LS 174. Are those numbers from manufacter? I think they are Hastings numbers.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:03 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You should cut the new ones to compare! If you dont want to eat the cost of the filter Im sure enough r-listers, including myself, would pay to see the new one cut. Where can I send my dollar?

Thanks for sharing - maybe some close-ups of the valves or whatever is mechanical in those filters. Does the oil filter wrench still work for the new ones?

Still dont know why porsche is sourcing the filters from the US. I wonder if our friends in ROW are getting the new US filters?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Those filters are expensive, I paid $34.54 for the pair.

I’d cut some new ones open and post photos if someone else bought a pair. They use the same oil filter wrench.

On another note Mercedes changed oil filters on some of their older models; filters are made by a French company, Purflux. The new filters seem be of high quality but do require a different wrench.

Photo of valve in small engine filter below. The large filter does not have one of those valves.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hastings are some of the best oil filters made.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by tj90
You should cut the new ones to compare! If you dont want to eat the cost of the filter Im sure enough r-listers, including myself, would pay to see the new one cut. Where can I send my dollar?

Thanks for sharing - maybe some close-ups of the valves or whatever is mechanical in those filters. Does the oil filter wrench still work for the new ones?

Still dont know why porsche is sourcing the filters from the US. I wonder if our friends in ROW are getting the new US filters?
Just get out and drive!

Come on, rack up those miles!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:05 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Good idea.... save the old cut oprn filters, drive a lot and when you change those new filters.... gut them like a fish and let's see what they are made of!!!
Old 08-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

I used to get Mahle filters for my 951 for around $4 a pop. Once they sent me twice as many as I ordered for some reason. They weren't too expensive. I liked them very much.

Quick Reply: Photo of Mahle filters cut apart