Sponsored by:

Robbing, Thieving, Bast*rds!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 09:10 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Robbing, Thieving, Bast*rds!

Not happy at all! I walked out of my flat today to discover that my wind mirrors had been stolen! £800 for new ones & my insurance has a £500 excess!!! I have found a set from a breaker in the UK for £245 bu they may need painting. I also noticed a 964 on my square which had theirs taken too! I can't believe these rotten little sods just go around and harvest mirrors in this fassion. I have a feeling this will now be a regular thing. I have noticed one 993 with square 930 mirrors in london, and apparently he had his mirrors stolen 6 times before he went for these!

What can be done?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:22 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gabi...sorry to hear of your loss. I hate to read things like this as it is a violation of our person. Can you park in a garage...I know I wouldn't feel too good about leaving my car out on the street.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It might be worth waiting up all night, watching the car and helping pass the time by giving the shotgun a good oiling, keeping the previously well oiled Glock at hand.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
It might be worth waiting up all night, watching the car and helping pass the time by giving the shotgun a good oiling, keeping the previously well oiled Glock at hand.
Unfortunately, you are not allowed to have shotguns in the UK, or pistols, knives, BB guns, or pepper spray.

Problem is, there is not much you can do unless you have a locked garage.

I am really sorry to hear about your mirrors. I guess the good news is that they did not key it or torch it, worse yet.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Unfortunately, you are not allowed to have shotguns in the UK, or pistols, knives, BB guns, or pepper spray.

Problem is, there is not much you can do unless you have a locked garage.

I am really sorry to hear about your mirrors. I guess the good news is that they did not key it or torch it, worse yet.

Good luck!
I know that. Anyway, see first post.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they have car alarms that go off when people are within a certain distance of the car. You might look into that?

Another option is running 50,000 volts through the mirrors, the cool part is you get to see who tried to steal the mirrors the next morning on the ground next to your car.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"What can be done"

I wish I knew. I keep reading that crime is growing out of control in the UK -- I feel terrible about that, having spent my best vacation there, in 1994. I've been a big Anglophile since. It's mind-boggling that such a great country can let itself get to this sorry state. One positive trend I know is underway is the increased use of surveillance cameras, and that should help deter crime -- if the police will actually prosecute the criminals who are caught!

As Marv said, it could be much worse, not that it's any consolation. Even here in my "safe" suburban neighborhood, I wouldn't consider parking overnight outside of my locked garage. Here we have an epidemic of "meth", so we're not far behind the UK (if at all) in property crimes.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:01 AM
shidinger
Rennlist Member

If you're within earshot, Viper makes an alarm that with sounds when someone walks too close to the car. It gives a few "warning" chirps, then lets go. Might be worth the investment.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:29 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

It makes my blood boil, unless I can alarm the wing mirrors I'll have to take them off at night! I'm not within earshot and can't park off street it's too expensive to rent garage space around me. My car is one of the least expensive on the street, I can't believe I get picked on!
I can't be hunting around for (possibly stolen) eBay mirrors or breakers yards spares every couple of months (or weeks if I'm unlucky) for new ones! Someone I know actually bought his own mirrors off eBay without knowing it, by the time he'd realised, the seller had closed his account and buggered off. It's so obvious that these are stolen to order and where are they going? other porsches!
Old 08-23-2006, 07:07 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are not alone. I had my mirrors stolen four years ago. Bast*rds.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:09 AM
xrix
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marv
You're allowed shotguns (I have one) but waving it out the window in a street will get you into some serious trouble

I've heard of this mirror stealing before. Is it possible to find some bolts with security heads rather than the standard allen bolt? I bet these little s**ts just carry around a set of allen keys and maybe this would defeat them?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My mirrors were just ripped off the doors. I wish they had taken the time to unbolt them.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:01 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

I think Dudley's experience is what would result from using security bolts, apparently all they need to do is bang the mirror down hard and it breaks the bolt and usually one of the lugs and then they just tear the thing out. I think you are lucky if they unbolt it and just unplug the wire rather than ripping it off connector and all.

There are people selling them on eBay with broken lugs and all sorts, some guy has sold 10 sets of tear drop mirrors in th last few months, hummmm, wonder if these are stolen, I think its more than likely.

Can they be wired into the factory alarm somehow? or anything? I don't think the proximity alarm would work where I live, the battery would be flat after a day or two.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:35 AM
pezza
Racer

You might be able to pick up a set at the PCGB Festival this weekend at a good price, there will be loads of trade stands there, plus sometimes there is autojumble.

More details on www.pcgb.co.uk
Old 08-23-2006, 11:01 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mornin',
You've made MY blood boil too. There is nothing lower in life than a thief. Check your local craigslist or ebay listing ...if the same seller has a bunch of mirrors ...
G.

Originally Posted by GabiOsz
Not happy at all! I walked out of my flat today to discover that my wind mirrors had been stolen! £800 for new ones & my insurance has a £500 excess!!! I have found a set from a breaker in the UK for £245 bu they may need painting. I also noticed a 964 on my square which had theirs taken too! I can't believe these rotten little sods just go around and harvest mirrors in this fassion. I have a feeling this will now be a regular thing. I have noticed one 993 with square 930 mirrors in london, and apparently he had his mirrors stolen 6 times before he went for these!

What can be done?

Quick Reply: Robbing, Thieving, Bast*rds!