993 Forum 1995-1998

stripped hex head

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 10:04 PM
chet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped hex head

Well, I am attempting to replace my a/c expansion valve, and I have the firewall out and was struggling with the two hex socket head screws that attach the expansion valve. I got one off, but it now appears that I have stripped the other. Anybody have any suggestions on how to remove it now that I've stripped the hex socket?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:40 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I did the same on the fan belt hex heads. Dremel a slot for a regular screw driver bit if you can get one in there. I ended up hitting the slot at an angle to break the bolt loose.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:06 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I stripped one while removing my seats. I gave it a shot of Wurth Rost-Off, then a couple of stout taps with a chisel/hammer at the angle to loosen it, and it came right out.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:19 PM
MN993
Intermediate

Try this. Works great if you have the space.
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd100512
Old 08-15-2006, 12:39 AM
chet
Instructor

On the expansion valve, those screws are seated down in a recess. I think I may have to drill it out, but I've never done anything like that before. The expansion valve is going to be replaced, so I don't have to worry about that, and I'll be wanting to replace the screw (hope the dealer has it on hand). I'm just not sure whether any of the drill bits I have will drill into the metal screw. The only thing I've ever tried to drill through is wood.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:03 AM
oliverjamesthomas
Intermediate

My advice would be to use a KLANN stud extractor. It's the best piece of equipment I've ever seen over here in England for doing this type of job. You boys over the pond might have something similar or better though....!

The beauty is that it really gets hold of a bolt or stud and actually tightens as you turn.

Here's a link:

http://www.toolweb.com/irep-supplies...rtno=kla0181-3

Regards

Oliver
Old 08-15-2006, 07:37 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

As it is in a recess, select a drill just slightly larger than the allan key and behead it - the threaded shaft left behind will likely spin out with finger pressure. A drop of heavy oil on the drill tip will help drilling and containing the chips.
If in doubt, practice on a couple of old bolts or metal plate ( this leads to the discovery of why flat metal surfaces are center punched prior to drill contact ).
Old 08-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I may have to drill it out, but I've never done anything like that before.
You are correct. It's very easy. I've had this problem before on some of the older Mercedes vehicles I work on.

All you have to do it drill the hex head off and the expansion valve will slide right off. The part of the hex head screw that remains will then most probably screw right out, by hand, of the little metal plate that it goes into with out any problem.

To drill the hex head off I use a right angle drill, also called a close quarter drill.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:47 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MN993
Try this. Works great if you have the space.
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd100512
It's a great product. Thanks for the suggestion.

Worked like a charm today.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. Just get the head off and it will reduce the pressure on the threaded part of the bolt and you can undo it by hand.

Had to cut the head off one of my valve cover gasket bolts.

Quick Reply: stripped hex head