993 Forum 1995-1998

My Journey with my new 993

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 02:16 PM
jangobox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Journey with my new 993

OK so some of you perhaps saw my post last week about shipping companies. I wanted to ship a 993 from Dallas to Northern Virginia. I opted not to ship it and decided to do the Bandit run across half of the country. Here is a short little story.

Me and the wife took a plane out at 6:45 am Friday morning from Baltimore to Cleveland then switch to another plane to fly to Dallas Ft. Worth. I arrived on location around 12:00pm and there it was.
The most beautiful car I have ever seen.

I liked it!

From there did wheeling and dealing, got temp tags from the Texas DMV and drove away from the previous heart-broken owner, very nice by the way. I assured him this car would be well-loved and taken car of. After that went to go visit a friend who lives in Dallas and got a few pics .

Then we were off towards Texarkana, the land of monster trucks and loud exhausts. It seems everyone in Texarkana has monster trucks and all want to race. We were going to stay there over night as it was getting late and we were dead tired, but seeing as we were on a roll and didn’t feel like going through the monster truck rally, I decided to make it to Little Rock and stay the night there.

Little Rock 11:30 pm : I parked where I could see my beauty right outside our hotel balcony. I am sure many of you felt this way with you first 911, I couldn’t sleep that much that night. All I could think of was the car and the way it looked in the parking lot. The wheels, the flare, the sound of the engine all in my head, needless to say I was very excited and couldn’t wait to drive it again.

Sat. 9:30 am :Were off again heading towards Memphis. The engine is strong and fast, its about 95 degrees out and this car is cool! Amazing how an air-cooled engine works. Our windows are rolled down and the engine exhaust note is like pure music to my ears. America is Big, no I mean very very big. It seems like a long drive to Memphis. Acres and acres of farms and nothing to look at other then the occasional crop duster, which was pretty darn cool to see. I tell you those pilots are amazing.

I forget what time it was as we hit Memphis but who cares we were flying…..fast. Straight through no stopping. Memphis - from what I can tell seemed very nice. Seeing the Pyramid was surprising to see. Anyone know what that is?

On to Nashville, which felt like another long haul but the 911 wasn’t showing any signs of tiring, it wanted more and more and we happily obliged. We took a quick lunch break and picked out a great little steakhouse call Longhorn or something like that. After a nice filet mignon lunch of we go straight through again on to Knoxville!

Knoxville 6:00pm Believe it or not, quite a nice little town. It reminded me of Northern Virginia with lots of nice cars everywhere and….. hey hey….a Porsche dealership in Knoxville no less! But alas it was closed and I needed to get wheel chuck just incase I got a flat. I noticed there wasn’t one in the car before so I knew I was taking a risk driving it 1300 miles without the ability to change a tire if needed. Oh well, I’m a risk taker LOL. We stayed there over night and once again I had a hard time sleeping. The excitement was still there.

Sun 8:00 am – We launch out of Tattoine (Star Wars reference) at light speed. There is a long journey home and I want to be in my garage by 2 o’clock. Damn, that trip from Southern VA up the mountains on 81 north seems like an eternity. I am getting hungry so I bring up the GPS and find me a Sonic. I love Sonic and we don’t have any here in NoVA. Take another half hour break, get a quick pic of its first fast food experience and then the home stretch.

Made it home by 3:00
Let out a big …..PHEW!
Washed her up and put her away for a long night sleep.
I have to say I was very impressed with the way it handles and performed without a glitch on the 1300 mile journey across half of the country. Cheers everyone!

Home Sweet Home

Last edited by jangobox; 08-08-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:32 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool! Beautiful car.

"Control that FAST, son!"
Old 08-08-2006, 02:35 PM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad she is home safe and sound. now get some sleep and enjoy it! people say that the white ones are the fastest. And I believe it.

Good luck
Old 08-08-2006, 02:36 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Nice car...best color ..they have the strogest engines

Welcome to club tip...
Old 08-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Ty Smith
Instructor

You let your wife drive.... Don't tell mine..

Beautiful car.. looks something like mine...

Had mine on 81N from SW Virginia last year. Damn trucks...

Old 08-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats! Sweet looking car.

Originally Posted by Ty Smith

Old 08-08-2006, 03:04 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats. I remember that car when I was looking.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:09 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Sweet car - White - the fastest color ...
Old 08-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking car! Congrats.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:29 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty Smith

Beautiful car.. looks something like mine...

Had mine on 81N from SW Virginia last year. Damn trucks...

when your wife looks like that, you let her do whatever she wants...

(i can say that, right?)
Old 08-08-2006, 03:43 PM
911C2
Racer

You know the white cars have the fastest motors.

Beautiful car and what a great experience.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:46 PM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats on a beautiful car! Great write up and nice pics...
Old 08-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Hound Dog
Instructor

I just bought a 1997 C2 two weeks ago and I'm glad to see that someone else was as excited as I was. I'm still going out to the garage to look at it in the middle of the night.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:40 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Great writeup and pics..........welcome.
You know some Fabspeed Supercups cured my wife from wanting to drive my car.....she says it draws way too much attention now.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:54 PM
jangobox
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hound Dog
I just bought a 1997 C2 two weeks ago and I'm glad to see that someone else was as excited as I was. I'm still going out to the garage to look at it in the middle of the night.
LOL same here! Is that so wrong?

Quick Reply: My Journey with my new 993