Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans T/O bearing fitment. (G50/20)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 02:01 AM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trans T/O bearing fitment. (G50/20)

OK, hopefully last issue to resolve on the project car. I have a late build 95 engine, and a early build 95 G50-20 trans. (from two different cars) I was trying to mate the trans to the engine today and to make a long story short, the guide tube on the trans will not fit into the throw out bearing. Its close, but there is simply no way it will fit inside. I took it all apart and with just the bearing in hand tried to slip it over the tube, and no way. I looked up the parts on PET thinking that there might be a year change or something, but i come up with the same part numbers for both tube and guide for 94-98, unless they are RS cars. Know of course I dont know what parts are actually on my car since i got them both used, but what could be different if the parts are the same?

Anyone run into this?
Old 07-04-2006, 06:00 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rattlsnak
the guide tube on the trans will not fit into the throw out bearing. Its close, but there is simply no way it will fit inside... Know of course I dont know what parts are actually on my car since i got them both used, but what could be different if the parts are the same?
In 1992 Porsche added a polyamide insert to the release bearing that is used with a dual-mass flywheel and reduced the diameter of the guide tube by 2mm. They never bothered to update the release bearing for the lightweight flywheel. So your guide tube could be for the LWF or the previous owner was sold NOS, etc. To identify what you have measure the outside diameter of the guide tube, it should be 33.8mm for the LWF and 31.8 for a DMF. The inside diameter of the release bearing is 34mm for the LWF and 32mm for the DMF.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:16 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

THANK YOU!! I have measured them and confirmed that my trans has the LWF tube and my motor has the DMF setup. Everybody i talked to on this told me the tubes were the same diameter, but the RS tube was just longer, which is why i couldnt figure out WTF was wrong..

THANKS AGAIN.....!!
Old 07-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as you're doing this, might as well do the LWF/RS upgrade now.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:50 AM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

yep, i am..

Quick Reply: Trans T/O bearing fitment. (G50/20)