Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Let's Chat about Wax &/or Sealant Again, Shall we? (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/280805-lets-chat-about-wax-and-or-sealant-again-shall-we.html)

fbfisher 06-18-2006 10:21 PM

Let's Chat about Wax &/or Sealant Again, Shall we?

Car has fresh paint. unmolested by any product other than what the shop put on while the paint continues to cure. So, I'm back to deciding what to do. For some reason the body shop recommends using a silicone based wax/sealant. I don't know why, or what products that would be. Looking on Autotopia silicone based may not seem like a good idea.

What to do? High quality carnuba, Rejex, Zaino, others? Decision time in a couple of weeks, your current thoughts welcome.

:cheers:

InTheAir 06-18-2006 10:29 PM

I'd PM Anthony. I'm not sure what to use on new paint.

p_carfan 06-18-2006 11:09 PM

Check out this 7 month old Zaino shine, some folks think it's too much trouble . Here's a link to a recent post :cheers: .

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/280657-bath-day.html

InTheAir 06-19-2006 08:55 AM

I'll pipe back in here to echo JAR993's comments. You really do not want to choose something that will "seal" your paint, thus the suggestion of Zaino is probably premature (I use it too) at this point.

Once the paint is properly cured, Zaino is nice. But, you should also understand that your shine is more a matter of preparation, than product.

Caveman 06-19-2006 09:22 AM

I'll add my vote for Zaino, works well and lasts a long time.

Bill P. 06-19-2006 10:25 AM

I also really like Zaino and the results. However, I've heard great things about Rejex also and understand it is much easier. Has anyone moved from Zaino to Rejex and found the results similar??

Bill

fbfisher 06-19-2006 10:36 AM

Thanks for the comments. What's the deal with silicone based vs. other than silicone based?

Terry Adams 06-19-2006 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Thanks for the comments. What's the deal with silicone based vs. other than silicone based?

"Other than silicone based":
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/cowteats9sv.jpg

Father of 3 06-19-2006 01:04 PM

Really, I would take up the advice of others on this board and PM Anothony Orozco (I think I have his spellin right. If not, go cruise the concourse and car care board on RL. He is a frequent contributor there).

fbfisher 06-19-2006 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Father of 3
Really, I would take up the advice of others on this board and PM Anothony Orozco (I think I have his spellin right. If not, go cruise the concourse and car care board on RL. He is a frequent contributor there).

I'll do that, in all these years I've never been to that part of RL.

Uh, Terry I think you're confused or maybe forgot that your browser is currently pointed to Rennlist, not the Tiki Lounge. :biggulp:

Dr. No 06-19-2006 07:22 PM

I personally would not use anything but carnuba wax on new Porsche paint. Heck, that's all I will use on OLD Porsche paint.

I really like the P21s product. Really deep shine, easy to apply, and beads water beautifully. The only other wax I've used on the P-car is the $150 a tin Zymol Glasurit formulation. I find the P21s to be easier to use and I couldn't tell them apart from the results.

I recommend mild soap, lots of water, sheepskin mitt, microfiber everything and a very light touch.

avillena 06-19-2006 08:05 PM

I use carnuba wax and s100 cleaner. These products are thesame as the P21s in a much cheaper price. Where to find it? Harley Davidson motorcycle dealership (my secret, don't tell anyone) These products are great, very easy to apply and they last.
Happy waxing!!!
Andrew

mrsullivan 06-19-2006 08:17 PM

Zaino should be the thing you do to your car when the paint is perfect and you can do no more... then prepare to be amazed. Think of it as a magnifying glass... if your paint is in great shape, Zaino will bring out the brilliances, if there are imperfections, you can see them even better with Zaino. As others have said, dont do anything to the paint IMHO for the 1st 30 days. Then, depending on whether you have picked up any scratches or imperfections ( I assume no), I would clay bar the car really well and seal it up with a kajillion coats of Zaino... once you have done that, all you will need to do is wash and spray detailing stuff on it for months before needing to apply anything else

Tim993 06-19-2006 08:47 PM

Fred, Have you condsidered the 3M protective film to protect the new paint job? I am going to have to have the front resprayed at some point due to rock chips and have been thinking about doing the 3M treatment.

fbfisher 06-20-2006 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tim993
Fred, Have you condsidered the 3M protective film to protect the new paint job? I am going to have to have the front resprayed at some point due to rock chips and have been thinking about doing the 3M treatment.

I have/am considering it. Very expensive.