Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Fluid Change Questions (Brake and tranny)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Gweedo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Fluid Change Questions (Brake and tranny)

I have a couple questions about doing fluid changes on my C4.

First, the brakes. Is there anything special that needs to be done when bleeding brakes on a C4?

Second, Tranny fluid. Can the transmission fluid be bled independent of the transfer case? Mobil 1 ATF is the fluid to use? How many quarts?

Third, Transfer Case fluid. Is there fluid? Just a seperate hydraulic system? Can it be done without a hammer?

Fourth, differential. Front and rear differential fluis changes are done like normal differentials? Suggested fluid?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-14-2006, 11:16 PM
993adam
3rd Gear

Default c4s fluids

Gweedo, no special stuff for the brake flush, just start at the farthest wheel from the master cylinder and work your way to the nearest. dont leave fluid on the caliper paint or get it on your paintjob The clutch flush may as well be done at same time; kind of a reach up under the car and out of sight. Same system. The tranny flush isn't big deal; just messy and something the shop barely charges much labor for; I would use Mobil 1 instead of Swepco since it is smoother and will shift bettter.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, you don't have to change the transfer case oil together with the transmission. The transfer case is located up front which requires the removal of the under panel.

DO NOT USE ATF fluids! ATF is for automatic transmission!

Not sure if you are referring ATF for the front transfer case... The 996 shop manual calls for ATF fluid for the front transfer case, which was a typo! FWIW, The 996 front transfer case calls for the same type of fluid as the transmission.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Gweedo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX

DO NOT USE ATF fluids! ATF is for automatic transmission!
Actually, I use ATF for my E36 M3 track car. It's the standard for those cars per BMW and why I asked if it was the same for the P car. I'm suprised folks use gear oil in the P-cars, that sounds like a bit much.

Not sure if you are referring ATF for the front transfer case... The 996 shop manual calls for ATF fluid for the front transfer case, which was a typo! FWIW, The 996 front transfer case calls for the same type of fluid as the transmission.
Is there a spot online where I can find procedures for these changes and the factory recommended fluids? I checked your site, but I only founf the tranny DIY.

Last question, for now. The tranny in the C2 is the same as the one in the C4, right? Or is it different because of the AWD?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Gweedo
Instructor

Alright, I still have questions on this. I have changed the Tranny fluid (4 qts. 75W90 Mobil 1) and the front differential (1 qt. 75W90 Mobil 1). The tranny and read end fluids are combined in that on fill, right?

Are there any driveline fluids that I missed? Is there a seperate drain for the transfer case? How much fluid does it hold? Which fluid should I use?

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2006, 09:51 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there a seperate drain for the transfer case? How much fluid does it hold? Which fluid should I use?
The "transfer case" viscous coupling is sealed--no fluid change required or possible.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:00 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

I'm suprised folks use gear oil in the P-cars, that sounds like a bit much.
ATF is about 75 weight, right? And it's only ever GL-4, never GL-5, so you could never use it in a transmission with hypoid CWP gears like a Porsche. GL-5 gear oil is heavy stuff--75W90 or more--with ONE exception that I know of. Specialty Formulations MTL-P is 75W85 and GL-5 rated. I used it in the STI with great success. All the protection of a GL-5 and lets the synchros shift like butter! Maybe I'll try it in the 993...
Old 09-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Gweedo
Instructor

Originally Posted by RallyJon
The "transfer case" viscous coupling is sealed--no fluid change required or possible.
Thanks!
Old 09-13-2006, 02:32 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

First, the brakes. Is there anything special that needs to be done when bleeding brakes on a C4?
Actually, yes there IS a special procedure to change the brake fluid on the C4. The C4 uses a completely different brake booster than the C2. This has been gone over many times, will post a link to a thread where i posted the procedure here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/295116-flushed-slave-cylinder-wow.html

Scroll down a bit its the long post by me.

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
Old 09-13-2006, 04:51 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

I would suggest two things also.
1st- Brake fluid highly absorbs humidity. Make sure you fill with newly opened can.
Tests have proved that a brake fluid exposed to air for 30 minutes, will absorb enough water that
will turn to bubbles in your calipers. Do not fill from a previously opened bottle. Never top up from an opened bottle.

2nd, if manually bleeding, clutch or brakes, do not push the pedal to the far end while pumping.
There is a great risk you will invert or crack the rubber seal inside the cylinder.
A good bleeding method is vacuum.
After you finish, start engine and brake several times before MOVING the car.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:36 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If the C4 has the brake booster pump and accumulator in the trunk as does the C4S and Turbo ( which I think it does), read closely the procedure Chris linked above in post #9. You need to address the accumulator prior to bleeding the brakes and clutch.

ATF Dexron III is about a 10W oil - which is good in many BMW manuals, but not in any Porsche manual. It is used in the PS system, updated to Petrosin CHF 11S/CHF 202.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are complete DIY descriptions on Robin's fabulous site.

www.p-car.com
Old 09-13-2006, 09:01 AM
Gweedo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Droops83
Actually, yes there IS a special procedure to change the brake fluid on the C4. The C4 uses a completely different brake booster than the C2. This has been gone over many times, will post a link to a thread where i posted the procedure here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295116

Scroll down a bit its the long post by me.

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
Thanks! I had read the procedure in the manual, but that thread answered a few questions that I still had. Friday she gets the complete ATE SuperBlue Flush.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:28 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

ATF Dexron III is about a 10W oil
10W motor oil = 75W gear oil. Here's a chart showing the differing SAE standards: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html
Old 09-13-2006, 10:54 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

RallyJon is right. The single difference between conventional gbx's like that of the BMW and the 911 series cars is the integrated final drive (ring and pinion) called transaxle in the Porsche 911.

Its the extreme pressure created by the hypoid ring and pinion that requires the use of traditional gbx oil whereas conventional manual tranmissions can use ATF. Its really important to use the correct fluid as recommended.

Quick Reply: C4 Fluid Change Questions (Brake and tranny)