Porsche beats Lexus in JD Power Quality Survey

Old 06-08-2006, 11:10 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Porsche beats Lexus in JD Power Quality Survey

This in today's WSJ:

"In the latest J.D. Power & Associates new-car-quality survey, Porsche AG came from behind to overtake longtime leader, Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus brand.

Lexus, which had held the top spot for five years, came in second, while Porsche moved into first place from last year's ranking of No. 31."
[...]
"For example, he says the Cayenne key fob was improved so someone can hold it and lock the car from further away than previously."

Hey - only 11 years since people started complaining that you can only unlock the car when you stand next to it!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:13 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought that was a feature ...so that you could stay close enough to admire her 'lines' !

G.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:17 AM
MikeInfo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you like the article? I just found this one...

http://www.carpages.co.uk/news/jd-pw...y-02-06-06.asp
Old 06-08-2006, 11:17 AM
LuftKopf
Pro

It's about time Mercedes got bodyslammed for the junk they're turning out...25th place from #5 in '05! BMW down to #27 from #3, that one seems a little heavy...but everyone hates iDrive.

Let's hope the Porsche dealers don't let more arrogance get the best of them.

Porsche Leads Auto-Quality Study, Helped by Cayman Sports Car
June 7 (Bloomberg) -- Porsche AG, the carmaker with the highest profit margins in the world, went from 32nd place to first in a leading auto-quality survey.

The ranking for German rivals DaimlerChrysler AG's Mercedes- Benz dropped to 25th this year from fifth in 2005, while Bayerische Motoren Werke AG declined to 27th from third place in J.D. Power & Associates's survey of new vehicles in the first 90 days of U.S. ownership, the market research firm said in a statement today.

Porsche's turnabout came on the debut of the Cayman, which is based on the Boxster roadster, J.D. Power said. Porsche, of Stuttgart, Germany, has boosted earnings 11 years in a row as the company introduced new models such as the Cayenne sport-utility vehicle and the Cayman.

German carmakers, including Mercedes, have been struggling to boost vehicle quality as they install new technology such as rain sensors, systems to help drivers see at night and communications equipment.

J.D. Power said its Initial Quality Study had been retooled for 2006 to give separate scores for quality as measured by defect and by design. With cars becoming more complicated, design can affect customers' feelings about quality as much as actual malfunctions and performance problems, the survey said.

BMW's defects were 12 points better than the industry average, the same as Toyota Motor Corp.'s Toyota brand. On design issues, Munich-based BMW was rated 30 points below the average.

Porsche's defect score was 15 points above average, second only to Toyota's Lexus brand. Porsche's design score was 17 above the industry average and 10 points ahead of Lexus.

New Questions

The survey now includes questions about parking assistance sensors and cameras, rear-seat DVD players and navigation systems. The survey also ranked auto plants based only on defects and malfunctions reported for vehicles they build.

The best European factories were Magna International Inc.'s plant in Austria, which builds the BMW X3, followed by BMW's Dingolfing factory in southern Germany where the Munich-based carmaker builds the 3-Series sedan. Valmet Automotive's plant in Finland, which build's Porsche's Boxster, ranked third.

The only other European carmaker to rank among the top 10 spots in the survey was Ford Motor Co.'s Jaguar division, at number five, a decline from last year's second spot. Volkswagen AG, Europe's largest carmaker, fell to 35th from 33rd, while its Audi luxury division slipped to 18th spot from eighth this year. Ford's Volvo rose to 21st from 31st.

In addition to releasing the rankings, J.D. Power plans to make details on how individual vehicles fared in problem categories available at http://www.jdpower.com .
Old 06-08-2006, 11:42 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

The key FOB working only at close range is a huge plus.
Unlocking a car from far away is not a good thing, I would much prefer close distance.
Example, in my Expedition I have an alarm that works from 500' away. This is great for finding your car in a parking lot but not good for what you might find inside when you get there.
Another bad feature is my truck unlocks many times while I'm reaching in my pocket for change,
this is not good simply because I'm never really sure if the Truck is locked because this happens while I'm in my house.
Now the number one reason!
I have pressed my key fob in a busy parking lot and unlocked other Fords many times.
The closer the safer!
I'm very happy to hear that Porsche is on top in quality. Chris
Old 06-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to hear this.

Scott
Old 06-08-2006, 12:51 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It is amazing what a little buttkissing from a Stealer will get. They probably did not talk to any 996 owners with RMS issues.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:45 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just more proof of the utter STUPIDITY and USELESSNESS of these JD Power Quality reports... haha - the cars haven't changed AT ALL over the past year in terms of build quality, manufacturing processes, etc. Yet we're supposed to believe that Porsche is now 31 positions higher in quality? I cannot believe people actually buy this crap...
Old 06-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I would like to see a longer term survey, but few people keep their new car over 4 years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche beats Lexus in JD Power Quality Survey