993 Forum 1995-1998

A/C Expansion Valve Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Scott C. Waldrup
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Expansion Valve Removal

Loosing A/C charge and found a collectin of fluid under the expansion valve. Can the expansion valve be removed/replaced without taking the fuel tank and fire wall out? If so, any tricks?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:10 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott C. Waldrup
Loosing A/C charge and found a collectin of fluid under the expansion valve. Can the expansion valve be removed/replaced without taking the fuel tank and fire wall out? If so, any tricks?

The firewall and gas tank will need to come out.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:09 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just another data point in the RL database for those AC DIYers out there... if you can find this needle in the search engine haystack

It is possible to replace the Expansion Valve without removing the gas tank (upper portion) and firewall. I like a challenge so I thought I'd give it a shot since I'd always thought there just might be enough room to get the job done.

Just did it, took about an hour.
The firewall flexes just enough (with encouragement) to get the hose block off of the stud in the front.
Then it is just some tedious work with a shortie allen wrench to get the expansion valve out. Then back in.

If you end up tackling this, be sure to order the 4 o-rings along with the valve.
You should also replace the receiver/dryer at the same time.
Then evac/recharge as normal. Or take to your favorite shop to do the evac/recharge...

Just another route to get this done. Less to take apart but certainly more tedious.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:09 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, I need to do this !!!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:09 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring back this old thread. I just had my a/c recharged and the mechanic said "system pressures not within spec. Replace expansion valve and receiver drier".

Reading on here it seems people have different views on whether the tank and firewall needs to be removed. "MarkD" did it.

My question is if I do get to the valve and replace it/drier do I need to have the car recharged again/oil changed? or since it's been done recently there's no need?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need for oil add

But it will need to be evacuated and charged as part of the replacement of the exp valve
And any time the system is opened, it is a good idea to change the receiver/drier

good luck!

Quick Reply: A/C Expansion Valve Removal