Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

SLAMMED! With pics and questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SLAMMED! With pics and questions...

OK these lowered 993 threads are getting to be old hat but here's one more with a few questions.
First, details on the job: M030 springs and bars and Bilstein HDs sourced from VB through the GB (thanks Bob and Jeff!). Install by yours truly. Current ride height is @ 134 mm front and 117mm rear, at the frame reference points.
Car goes to Steve Alarcon tomorrow morning (Darrin was just too booked).
--Next mod is clear front corners...
--Waiting for lots of money: LW Flywheel.
--Trying really hard to resist: 18" TTs or Kinesis or Bilstein...

Questions:
1. Have I set this too low for real world driving? Jeff? Chris W? Bob? Trojanman? Anyone else who knows their ride height??
2. Best source for clear front corners without removing the bumper squares? (Call me **** but I don't want a set I have to cut and glue.)
3. Any color on 17s vs. 18s? I've read some posts from folks on this board who went back to 17s due to rough ride, etc.

Thanks for reading!

Chris (aka The Jack)

PS: before you go there: I've already (okay, Robin has already) installed RSRs.
Attached Images     
Old 05-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Dan V
Race Car

My ride height looks identical to yours and few problems with it in the last ~10K since it was lowered, mostly daily driving. I had a couple minor scrape incidents on steep driveways, but my spoilers already had some minor scrapes on them from PO, so I don't fret about it.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:36 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Clear corners, just got some from dps international. 887 550 8555. very friedly. I love my 18's. the ride is good even on michigan roads.
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2006, 02:51 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts
Current ride height is @ 134 mm front and 117mm rear, at the frame reference points.

Questions:
1. Have I set this too low for real world driving? Jeff? Chris W? Bob? Trojanman? Anyone else who knows their ride height??
Chris -

I think your ride height looks great. You are exactly between ROW Sport and RS ride heights. I don't think you will have any problems with real world driving. My car is 5mm lower than yours all around and I have yet to have any scrapes. However, admittedly, I do take steep grades at an angle. I don't think you will have any troubles.

Glad you installed yourself!!!!!!!! In a demented kind of way, it's fun.

Aren't you glad you got rid of that SUV ride height!!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:21 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is mine before and after lowering.

I think I'm a touch above RS ride height.. I have Gert's FPB and I'm glad..
Any v-shaped dip (like the drive way pictured above) and I have to take it at an angle or I
scrape potentially both front and back.. The angular attack eliminates almost all scraping..
Love the way it handles, the 18 inch wheels look great and, IMHO, help the car corner a
little better. You do have to be careful of even small curbs though with the 18s (as me how I know)..
Old 05-08-2006, 05:01 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks great...It could go lower if you wanted to.

Maybe it's just the pictures, but you may want to check your rake. It seems that the rear is too high for the front. Rake should be set at 1 degree or there abouts.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:45 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Chris... looks great and I certainly don't think it's too low. I'd recommend a FPB if you don't already have one.

As for 18's, they will really set off your lower stance and the ride comfort issue (I believe) is not a big deal. Enjoy this "honeymoon" phase, and keep an eye on your wallet!

Good luck...
Attached Images    
Old 05-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Thanks guys...appreciate all the input...I forgot to say I did also install Gert's FPB (another Viper Bob reccomendation well taken). You can see it in the third pic (sorry they are fuzzy...they were fine until I compressed them with Microsoft Photo). Anyway, as 911CabSteve says any sharp dip or driveway contacts the bar rather abruptly. My little boy was riding with me Saturday night in the dark and I drove blindly through some sort of drainage ditch cut perpendicular to the street (they LIKE to do those in Long Beach) and there was a terrible crashing sound. Scared him silly and I didn't like it much either. (But no damage except minor scraping on the bar).

To me it still looks a tad high...so I don't think I'm gonna raise it any despite the occasional crashing sound.

as for the rake issue, Cabrio 993, I meticulously kept the same factory front/rear height ratio. As Jeff (In the Air) says...it is almost exactly 10mm below ROW M030 height; and 10 above RS height.

Oh yeah...one more question....where did you guys put your camber? I want it to stick but I don't want to grind my tires unevenly.

I welcome any more thoughts, on camber, ride quality/hazards of 18s, or ???

Chris
Old 05-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Oh and Jeff (in the Air) thanks so much for your wonderful DIY instructions. Made it super easy. Every possible pitfall pretty well covered (with the one exception of how to completely remove the front bar clamps, for which Bob had the secret trick (hint: hammer!))

Car is way more settled now in bumps; planted in turns and transitions.

And yes...I am SOOO glad it no longer sticks up in the air in an unsightly fashion.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:23 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts
Oh yeah...one more question....where did you guys put your camber? I want it to stick but I don't want to grind my tires unevenly.

I welcome any more thoughts, on camber, ride quality/hazards of 18s, or ???
Here is my post after I got mine aligned:

Oh Man! This thing is awesome.

I just got my car back from the alignment shop this morning and had the opportunity to drive it for about 60 miles or so. All I can say is I am very happy with the install setup. I had the shop align it to RS specs, but I increased the front and rear camber a bit more than called for (front 1.5 degrees; rear 1.8 degree). The final numbers were:

Front:
Camber = 1.5 degrees
Caster = 5.3 degrees
Toe = 0.04 degrees

Rear:
Camber = 1.8 degrees
Toe = 0.30 degrees

Kinematic toe within about 1 bubble unit

With these settings, the car is very planted on the road--both at high speed straightaway and in the corners. The ride compliance is very nice also--certainly not as rigid as the PSS9's, but a marked improvement over my 27,000 mile stock suspension. I couldn't be happier!
Old 05-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Rick's 993
Advanced

Chris, I had 17" before the 18"'s and I do not think that the ride has been affected. I also changed from PS to PS2's and that may have helped the ride some. Air pressure checks to eliminate a "low air tire" help protect the bending of rims on potholes, etc. I have no regrets going to the 18". Enjoy your car.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:30 PM
przt
Intermediate

Wink

a little bit OT (short question of a newbie):

993 USA stock (suv) height at the moment.
Bisteins HD's (not extra threaded) with Eibach springs. What's the difference in height?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:49 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

I think mine is a touch lower than yours - I've got Bilstein HD's/H&Rs. Knock on wood, I have yet to drag. This includes entering and exiting steep driveways as well as on and off ferrys (I was sweating those ferrys!!).
Attached Images   
Old 05-08-2006, 11:06 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's not low...it looks ok, but would look better a tad lower. I like it when the top of the tire is right at the wheel arch bottom lip.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Jeff A 993
Instructor

Damn, I've got to quit this site!!

Trojanman, your ride height is spot on.

993c2cab, ditto.

I'm ready to sell the bike that I just bought to fund the project! Too many toys, so little time.

-- Jeff

Quick Reply: SLAMMED! With pics and questions...