Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got popped for speeding!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 12:41 PM
mpgandco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do Traffic school on line.You can do traffic school if you havent had a ticket in the last 18 months.Believe it or not it was kind of fun and I did it in one day.You can do it for awile and go back to where you left off at any time.They give you about 3 months to complete.There are about 30 traffic schools listed On Line to choose from
Old 03-31-2006, 12:46 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mpgandco
You can do Traffic school on line.You can do traffic school if you havent had a ticket in the last 18 months.Believe it or not it was kind of fun and I did it in one day.You can do it for awile and go back to where you left off at any time.They give you about 3 months to complete.There are about 30 traffic schools listed On Line to choose from
I hear you. I am probably going to end up going to traffic school. But that means 18 months of constantly watching my back! For the past 12 years or so I feel like I've had a "get out of jail free" card (with the ability to go to traffic school for a ticket), and I'm very reluctant to give that up! If you go to court and the officer shows up, you can still go to traffic school, right?
Old 03-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts
Default The sad facts are..............

if he zapped you with a laser, the V-1 may not have helped. All it will do is tell you you have been zapped...probably too late.

We have traffic school "on line" in California. It takes about 6 hours to complete, or you can sit in class for 8 hours. I attended a traffic school class that was taught by an off duty CHP guy. It was an interesting class.

As you know, you will have to pay the fine and the cost of the school, but you get 0 points on your DMV record. This is the record your insurance company gets. Your insurance will go up after a ticket...gets spendy if you have multiple cars in the houshold. Just and write off to a bad day!
Old 03-31-2006, 01:19 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
Should be fairly simple to show in court that you don't have a vehicle with that VIN.
If your drivers license # is correct on the ticket, it probably doesn't matter what you were driving, and what its vin# was. A judge will laugh at you if you try that angle and they get pissed off really quickly if you try to assert yourself and act like you think you know your way around the law.

I always go to court (and the cop ALWAYS shows too...) and either talk to the prosecutor or the officer him/herself and apologetically, hat in hand, take responsibility for my actions, admit I was driving a bit too quickly, and then work out a deal. (Don't lie and say you weren't speeding - Look at posted speed limits, there is no such thing as someone who isn't speeding...)

I have eliminated many, many points from my license and paid pennies on the dollar in fines based purely on the fact - sadly - that cops and prosecutors find honesty and a sense of culpability very refreshing.

Good luck.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:34 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IF YOU ARE ELIGABLE I'D PAY THE TICKET AND TAKE ONLINE TRAFFIC SCHOOL. CUT & PASTE ALL OF THE TEXT INTO MICROSOFT WORD. DO A WORD SEARCH FOR PHRASES IN THE QUESTIONS AT THE END OF EACH SECTION WHICH SHOULD GIVE YOU YOUR ANSWERS. SHOULDN'T TAKE YOU MORE THAN AN HOUR TO COMPLETE. JUST MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE COURSE THAT DOESN'T REQUIRE YOU TO SHOW UP SOMEPLACE AND TAKE A WRITTEN EXAM. GOOD LUCK!
Old 03-31-2006, 02:44 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was popped going 103mph in a 65mph. Under cover something in a Chevy Blazer. Dont know how I got out of that one but no ticket-just a verbal warning. Guy was plain clothed.

I did get pulled over going 46 in a 35 and got $70 ticket and went to traffic school-ticket doesnt exist now.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
If your drivers license # is correct on the ticket, it probably doesn't matter what you were driving, and what its vin# was. A judge will laugh at you if you try that angle and they get pissed off really quickly if you try to assert yourself and act like you think you know your way around the law.

I always go to court (and the cop ALWAYS shows too...) and either talk to the prosecutor or the officer him/herself and apologetically, hat in hand, take responsibility for my actions, admit I was driving a bit too quickly, and then work out a deal. (Don't lie and say you weren't speeding - Look at posted speed limits, there is no such thing as someone who isn't speeding...)

I have eliminated many, many points from my license and paid pennies on the dollar in fines based purely on the fact - sadly - that cops and prosecutors find honesty and a sense of culpability very refreshing.

Good luck.
I have been very successful with either getting off with a warning or a much reduced ticket by using the same approach during the few times I have been stopped over the past 10 years. Most recent was last summer coming back from Mosport driving my truck with the Porsche on the trailer. I "missed" the sign where the limit goes from 60 to 40 right after entering the USA, and had the detector off (illegal in Canada). Was stopped for 62 ina 40 zone. Ended up with a ticket for failure to signal properly....I didn't use my turn signal when the NY State Trooper pulled me over! $47 and no points.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:52 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 438 Posts

Matt- My point was that, at least there is a starting point for an attorney to argue against the ticket.

Over the years, I tried the honest approach on a a few tickets and got it thrown back in my face, so I now have no compunction about playing their game. Toto and I aren't in Kansas, anymore!

Here in Texas, the least expensive method is to hire an attorney, which will cost the same as the ticket. Going to traffic school will cost the price of the ticket, plus court cost, plus $60 or so for traffic school, not to mention the time you waste at court and on school.

Good Luck!
-Jim
Old 03-31-2006, 05:20 PM
zekksw

This was in a recent thread, hope it helps.
http://www.ticketassassin.com/fight.htm
Old 03-31-2006, 05:25 PM
zekksw

Try.
http://www.ticketassassin.com/fight.html
Old 03-31-2006, 07:55 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There will be a log of which radar unit is assigned to that officer so when citizens challenge the violation, they can refer to the calibration of that particular unit.

I, like a couple of others here, advise paying they fine, going to traffic school (so your insurance rates don't go up) and not getting caught speeding again for 18 months.

I just did it for going 84mph in a 65mph and paid a $140.00 in fines, fees and $30.00 for the traffic school.
$170.00 is still less than what Allstate would have charged me for having another point on my record.

Good Luck.............ZP44
Old 03-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there's nothing on your record now your insurance shouldn't go up. My company doesn't raise rates until I get two.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:48 AM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimbo3
Matt- My point was that, at least there is a starting point for an attorney to argue against the ticket.
Over the years, I tried the honest approach on a a few tickets and got it thrown back in my face, so I now have no compunction about playing their game. Toto and I aren't in Kansas, anymore!

Here in Texas, the least expensive method is to hire an attorney, which will cost the same as the ticket. Going to traffic school will cost the price of the ticket, plus court cost, plus $60 or so for traffic school, not to mention the time you waste at court and on school.
Good Luck!
-Jim
Jim - Point taken! Should have inserted disclaimer... Your results may vary from jurisdiction to jurusdiction (works in NY, MA ,CT-several times, RI...).
Plus I should add that I'm originally from from England, and the way I speak seems to soften up even the fiercest prosecuter (silly stereotypes aren't all bad). So I definitely recommend putting on an English accent as well...

Quick Reply: Got popped for speeding!