Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

WTB: Duck Tail..am I nuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 04:22 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Aerodynamic efficiences, stock tail VS duck tail VS ...

993 RS tail, etc. From all I have read, aerodynamic aids are a "system" if you want the car to remain in balance at speed. Personally, I would never install a spoiler, front or rear, without its matching mate....if you want to take advantage of the reduction of lift provided by these aids, do the research and be certain they are compatible.

I have heard "unofficially" that the duck tail is about as efficient in reducing lift as the factory moveable tail. Rear lift, assuming it follows what Frere mentions in Porsche 911 Story, 7th edition, is reduced to about 68 Lbs. Therefore the duck tail should be compatible with the stock factory front splitters.

If one were to add on 993 RS Club Sport front splitters with the duck tail, the car will be out of balance...it will probably oversteer...the front is getting a better bite in contrast to the rear.

I don't wish to dimish anyone's fun; do what you want to do, of course. Its your car....but spoilers are serious stuff at speed. In DE and Time Trials on the Big Tracks, I have seen 135 mph on the speedo, about 6000 RPM in 5th gear (Who had the time to look?). In cases such as California Speedway, I want the car to be very, very stable with optimal aerodynamics...and some protection against the effects of cross winds...this is why I selected the 993RS aerodynamic kit, 0 lift at 170 mph.

All of the above, IMHO.
Attached Images   
Old 03-31-2006, 08:48 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto what Martin said but I don't think you're nuts.

I sold mine (I was in the original five who did this) but I did it because of aerodynamic reasons (got RS wing instead) but if you don't track your car, aerodynamics shouldn't be a problem and it definitely looks cool.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:45 AM
mcuozzo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for bringing up that point Martin. Since I don't track my car, I never gave the aero concerns much thought.

Once I get the car lowered and some other mods done, I'm going to add the graphics and see how I like it. The more I see of clean cars like Martins and Finns with the RS wing, side skirts etc. the more I think I might wind up going in that direction. For purely aesthetic reasons of course!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 11:04 AM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the side skirts on the RS package effect high speed lift?

Quick Reply: WTB: Duck Tail..am I nuts