Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

9m heads make 350 BHP on N/A 95 993

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 06:34 PM
rkass
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you two guys doing driving from the passenger seat? (just kidding). Great shot.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:38 PM
'95 993
Instructor

That is colin's latest mod, moveable (from left to right) steering wheel, ideal for trips to the continent and back
Old 03-20-2006, 02:17 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

These threads on the 9M heads are very exciting - I plan on doing suspension and brakes this summer, and shortly afterwards I'll be making a decision on the engine. As much as I'd like to have a 500bhp turbo monster back there, the 350bhp NA would sure be a sweet setup! I'm 50/50 right now, starting to lean towards Colin's heads and cams. Love to hear the feedback on his products, so far all has been very positive!
Old 03-20-2006, 02:20 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

By the way, just curious - what difference do the heads/cams make to the sound of the engine?
Old 03-20-2006, 03:51 AM
'95 993
Instructor

Hi Robin,

Love the Photo, should have got one of us smoking a GT3 or that GT3 owner looking in my engine bay for the Supercharger

I really enjoyed meeting you and enjoyed the day very much, fantastic track and I have never driven with so many full on porsches and drivers before!

Thanks very much for all you explanations on the technology and also the great customer care and support, it feels very good to know there is such a friendly, knowledgabele and committed team behind the product - really makes a difference.

Will keep you updated on how i get on with the conversion and hope to met you at a future track day, - changed my wheels for the 18" last night, will send you some pics and a price

Cheers

John
Old 03-20-2006, 03:53 AM
'95 993
Instructor

Pcar964,

Doesn't seem to sound any different to std (whatever that is?)

I must say since i have got RS engine and tranny mounts and the motorsound airbox and Cargraphic cans you don't hear andy engine sound anyway

Just has that race car sound and feel

John
Old 03-20-2006, 04:25 AM
Robin 993 c2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayne325
Is there anyone in the US doing mods such as this ?
That's pretty impressive - just shy of 100 bhp/litre out of an air-cooled engine.

Are you guys worried about heat ? I guess it's OK as long as ambient is low such as it is
(compared to a Texas summer) in the UK and there is an oil cooler rejecting heat like
crazy up front ???

Going to the UK next week for the first time since I was a wee lad... ;-)

W.
Glad to hear that you are making it over to the right side of the pond, why not come and see me, (Essex) or Colin at 9M (near Manchester). As for heat issues, this conversion is much kinder on the engine than a turbo, or supercharger, with respect to heat. On the track day my oil temperature never got to 1/2 way up the gauge even when doing 10 laps at a time, but the ambient temperature was 6 deg C or so. If you are worried you could always fit a bigger cooler, which is an easy mod.
The heads are made from a material that is normally used for F1 pistons, it has high conductivity, high strength at temperature and very high fatiuge strength.
We are working on a version for the USA market with SAI ports and are keen to get some kits over to you soon.
If you are interested in meeting up please send a PM.
Regards
Robin
Old 03-20-2006, 01:04 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Robin 993 c2
Glad to hear that you are making it over to the right side of the pond, why not come and see me, (Essex) or Colin at 9M (near Manchester). As for heat issues, this conversion is much kinder on the engine than a turbo, or supercharger, with respect to heat. On the track day my oil temperature never got to 1/2 way up the gauge even when doing 10 laps at a time, but the ambient temperature was 6 deg C or so. If you are worried you could always fit a bigger cooler, which is an easy mod.
The heads are made from a material that is normally used for F1 pistons, it has high conductivity, high strength at temperature and very high fatiuge strength.
We are working on a version for the USA market with SAI ports and are keen to get some kits over to you soon.
If you are interested in meeting up please send a PM.
Regards
Robin
Please, just leave those stupid SAI ports out! Many of us would rather not have them!
Old 03-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Robin 993 c2
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcar964
Please, just leave those stupid SAI ports out! Many of us would rather not have them!
Up to you, you can have them or not. We are trying to make them easier to clean. The exits will be accessable from the exhaust side, i.e. drop the exhaust system and clean with a drill. We are open to ideas?
Here is a picture of what we are thinking of.
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2006, 11:23 PM
wayne325
Instructor

I am very much looking forward to my trip. I joke with my colleagues - when going to Europe
I tell them I'm visiting a civilized country (wherever it is). That gets'em going. Watch what happens
here now.... hahahahahha Unfortunately my time is all spoken for this trip already. But I'll keep
a visit to your shops in mind for the future.
I would look at your products as an alternative to just reusing the same heads if I have valve guide
failure - for the next year anyhow. My car threw a SAI code last week and I had the SAI valves replaced 2 years ago so who knows what is going on in there. After that - who knows.
I must say the possibility of obtaining 996 GT3-like performance from a 993 is very intriguing.
Cooling at 6C is easy - try 35C for a DE some day. The Z06's have to short shift lest they
pee all over the track !!!!! It's tough on the driver and the car.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:48 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

We are working on a version for the USA market with SAI ports
Are they required in the USA? If not then why not just leave them out since they seem to cause so many problems?

c
Old 03-21-2006, 05:25 AM
Robin 993 c2
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Are they required in the USA? If not then why not just leave them out since they seem to cause so many problems?

c
My understanding is that they are required, but I could be wrong, does anyone know if they are required, and if so what years and what states?
Thanks
Robin
Old 03-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

They ARE required on 96-98 993 which is an OBD II ECU unlike the European which is not. The 96-98 use uses an 88pin ECU whereas the European continues to use the 55pin ECU. This is why you can use the same emulation software as the 964 for live remapping on a dyno, here we cannot. I don't know if the 95 993 OBD I ECU (also 88 pin) will be a problem. The head that you have is off of my 95 993 engine with 20k on it, yes, 20k. If the SAI ports are not machined, then it is the same as having them plugged with carbon deposits. It will set off the Check Engine Light (CEL). It may also render the car impossible to pass emissions in your state, but that is just a guess on my part.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:30 AM
SwayBar
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

996 GT3 performance from a NA 993 would be Porsche-heaven for sure!

If I read things correctly, the only mods are heads and cams. Are the heads complete ready to go, or does one have to install valve guides, valves, springs, etc?

Are the cams smog-able? In other words, would they pass an emissions test?

Approximately how much in US dollars would the ready-to-bolt-on hardware alone cost (..no installation costs, no gaskets, etc)?

Approximately, how much would the tuning cost which is every bit as important as the hardware?

My CEL is on, and the codes say it's the SAI. IF I have to tear-down my engine, depending upon the cost of your hardware, I would seriously consider getting your heads and cams.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:56 AM
SwayBar
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

Alright, I re-read the posts, and found the link to here:

http://www.4tech-9m.com/aircooled-fastroad.html

How much would this kit cost in US dollars, minus the tuning?

Quick Reply: 9m heads make 350 BHP on N/A 95 993