Subwoofer wiring help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 08:30 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Subwoofer wiring help?

Hi,

I have a pair of Subs and a single sub channel on my amp. How do I wire them together? In parallel or in series? and can some one give me a discription?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wiring your drivers depends on what kind of load you wish your amp to have.

If your subs are 8 ohm speakers, then wiring them in parallel will give you a 4 ohm load. If you wire those same speakers up in series, you'll have a 16 ohm load.

You'll get more wattage out of your amp as the ohm rating decreases (such as going from an 8 ohm load to a 4 ohm load). However, you shouldn't really exceed the lowest ohm rating the amp has. If the amp is rated down to 4 ohms per channel, don't wire the amp with a 2 ohm load (two 4 ohm speakers in parallel).

Let's say your speakers are 8 ohms each. Parallel wiring is just that. Connect the positive leads of each speaker to each other, then run a wire from one of the positive speaker terminals on one of the speakers to the positive terminal on the amp. Do the same with the negative terminals.

Series wiring with two speakers goes like this. From the positive terminal on the amp, connect a wire to the 1st speaker's positive terminal. Then, wire the 1st speaker's negative terminal to the 2nd speakers positive terminal. Then, wire the 2nd speaker's negative terminal to the amp's negative terminal. You essentially make a big loop, or series, with your wiring.

Hope this helps,

Jay
90 964
Old 03-04-2006, 04:46 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Got it, thanks although both my amp and subs run at 4 ohms, I think it would be best to run them in series in this case, right?
Old 03-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Gabi,

What brand and model amp do you have? Series wiring would put you at 8 ohms and may really reduce the wattage. The amp may handle 2 ohms and that would give the most power for subs.

Jay
Old 03-04-2006, 10:14 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

I have an Audison SRx3 amp which is 250Watts at 4 ohms on the single sub channel, and I have a pair of JL audio 8W3v2-D4 subs at 125Watts each at 4 ohms, which I bought from Rod Birch.

What do you recommend that I do?
Old 03-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Gabi,

Those subs seem to be dual voice coil subs. So, that gives you a ton of flexibility.

Wire the two voice coils on each sub in a series connection to give the speaker an 8 ohm configuration. Then, wire the two speakers in a parallel connection to the amp. (8 ohm speaker plus 8 ohm speaker wired in parallel gives 4 ohm load to amp).

Kinda confusing... However, I bet JL Audio has an owner's manual download for a dual ohm sub that you could reference as well for a drawing of how this all should get wired up.

Jay
Old 03-06-2006, 06:24 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Jay, I've got you. I'll do that, it is all very confusing!
Old 03-06-2006, 01:48 PM
stresser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just add Rod? Since he sold you the gear he'll tell you exactly what do to. He's a very knowledgeable and super-nice guy.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:26 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

I have since asked Rod, The only reason I asked here is that Rod is busy and takes a day or so to respond, and here it's an hour at most! What a place!
Old 03-09-2006, 01:06 PM
alpina22
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This link will explain all you need to know.

Rockford Fosgate Sub Wiring Wizard

Incidenally, I was in the same position where I purchased a pair Rod's sub enclosures used from a RL member. I was VERY impressed by Rod's tech support.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer wiring help?