Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   When is a car "your car" ??? (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/256750-when-is-a-car-your-car.html)

993c2cab 02-28-2006 10:06 AM

When is a car "your car" ???

I purchased a mildly modified 993 last summer. I've got the bug to do more and would like to post some pics but do still feel the ghost of the previous owner. If you did not purchase your car new, when is it, or what do you have to do to make it yours? great forum thanks.

cmoss 02-28-2006 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 993c2cab
If you did not purchase your car new, when is it, or what do you have to do to make it yours?...

I finally felt it was mine after I paid off the car loan...

dhicks 02-28-2006 10:17 AM

I sold a 968 to somebody local and we stay in touch....the car was his as soon as he paid for it....but I still like to hear what he is doing to it.....he has done a number of things and I approve of them all....if I didnt, it would not really matter as it is his car now....and the PO of your car will probably feel the same as long as you are not trashing it.

Pedro356C 02-28-2006 10:23 AM

Spend the whole weekend cleaning every and each crevice of the car...spray a bit of your wife/girlfriend's perfume in the car...stare it for at least 30 minutes...pray 6 nights in a row for the Porsche gods and Voilą!!! Car is yours!!!!

jnx 02-28-2006 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pedro356C
Spend the whole weekend cleaning every and each crevice of the car...spray a bit of your wife/girlfriend's perfume in the car...stare it for at least 30 minutes...pray 6 nights in a row for the Porsche gods and Voilą!!! Car is yours!!!!

Pedro, Thats very good. I like it.

Peter S 993tt 02-28-2006 11:00 AM

When you start fixing stuff yourself - that's when it is yours - you have gotten to know it intimately.

InTheAir 02-28-2006 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pedro356C

I was with you Pedro up to the perfume part--why mask the Porsche smell? :)

g_murray 02-28-2006 11:13 AM

When you've removed all 'his' stuff (like stickers and stuff behind the sunvisors) and then thoroughly cleaned it inside and out -- effectively removing all traces of the 'personality' of the previous owner.

You want to get it to a 'state' whereby when you look at it or when you sit in it -- that it feels totally YOURS! -- and that you're _not_ just sitting in a sports-car, at the yearly autoshow, whilst some teenage dweeb, squirming in the front passenger seat, tries to see if he can steal the cigarette lighter or some other 'souvenir'.

It'll take a while ...but it will come, trust me.

G.

Ron Adair 02-28-2006 11:15 AM

Time, miles and a few mods make it yours. Sorta' like a romantic relationship... :nono: Ooops, shouldn't go there.

chris walrod 02-28-2006 11:16 AM

Spend a few weekends reaching up her skirt (oil change, trans oil change, general service), and she'll be all yours:)

jnnking 02-28-2006 11:16 AM

The more time you spend cleaning, fixing, replacing, upgrading...the more hands-on, the more it becomes yours. For me, it takes a few DIY projects to bond with a 'new' car.

Pedro356C 02-28-2006 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by InTheAir
I was with you Pedro up to the perfume part--why mask the Porsche smell? :)

Just a subtle smell Jeff...a familiar scent of woman to mark the territory!!! :thumbup:

OK...if you skip the scent part, you'll have to pray for 12 nights!!! :roflmao:

pcar964 02-28-2006 12:29 PM

To me, it's only really "your car" when you feel nervous selling it because you can't bear the thought of someone else driving YOUR baby :) Usually takes about 6 months for me.

ZombiePorsche44 02-28-2006 12:34 PM

The moment the dealer handed me the keys and I started it, it became mine. But, it still took us a few weeks of getting to know each other until I felt I was wearing the car, instead of just sitting in it.
Enjoy................ZP44

mcuozzo 02-28-2006 12:47 PM

For me it's two things - some small mods or a fix to some little annoying problem and a high spirited trouble free road trip.

For my 993, I swapped out rims and tires, had the rear bumperettes painted and took a blast to Vegas. I was caught speeding on the return trip and got off with just a warning. So now the 993 really feels like my own see we have a story to tell.

Matt