Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Immobilizer status display malfuction...???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Immobilizer status display malfuction...???

Today I took my AG993 out for a 100 mile romp. I was wearing polarized sunglasses, but half way thru the drive, I found a little red light on the dash lit up..... WTF?

I surmised it was something to do with the battery in the key pod, but when I looked at the manual, it said it had to do with the "Immobilizer".

Apparently, if it continues to flash, one MUST go to the dealer to have it repaired. I'm concerned.

What does this light mean? And, if it's just some 'theft deterrent', I couldn't care less. What I'm concerned with is..... I don't wanna shut the car off and not be able to restart it at the local gas pump or Dunkin Donuts.

Thanx....
Old 02-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

What? No one's had this "immobilizer" light flash? Or an opinion...? Incredulous....
Old 02-20-2006, 08:33 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Bagger,

My Ruf ECU was "mis-programmed" as if my car had no immobilizer, and hence my immobilizer light continually flashes. The immobilzer itself still functions fine. I can easily just turn the light off, in fact the previous owner did that. However, I've been told that if I were to ever need a new key fob, it would not be possible to get it programmed until this is fixed. Ruf has agreed to send me a new ECU that is properly programmed for the immobilizer.

This is obviously different that your case, where it suddenly stopped functioning. My guess is that your ECU has lost some key programming (like mine), or that your immobilizer control unit has stopped working. Functionally, how does your immobilzer work now?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:09 PM
jnor10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my immolbilizer icon flash (in fact yesterday it did it). In my case it seems that the lock/unlock function was out of sequence with the current condition. When it happened yesterday, it followed a normal start, after I had been putting gear back in the car after an autocross. The keys had been left in the ignition, can't recall if I went pressed the key fob prior to start. Anyhow, drove about ten minutes with it flashing, stopped to add some gas to my car and when I restarted, it was gone.
Does yours continue to flash after a stop/restart sequence. I'd also go through some trial lock/unlock, start/shutdown cycles just to see if you can get it back on track. Otherwise, I'm at a loss, might need the dealer to pull codes to see whats up.

Lets us know how it works out

Jeff N.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:45 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

I've found mine flashing a couple times after start up. A shutdown and restart cylce as Jeff suggests has cleared it both times as it was just out of synch. Is your light still flashing since this drive on subsequent starts?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

You folks were correct ... after I restarted the car just now, the light worked perfectly. As does the immobilizer I'm pleased to say. Probably a key malfunction thingy.

I hate this immoblizer crap... what a royal PITA, IMO.

Anyway, thanx for helping relieve my mind. I was so dang concerned that I'd get stuck some where in the boondocks, or have to arm wrestle the local Porsche shop for $1800.

I'm please it all went away...

Thanx.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:53 PM
jimbone
Advanced

This is crazy. I was gonna post this because it happened to me today for the first time. While driving the immobilizer light flashed, restart fixed. Good to know as I had the same fears about being SOL somewhere without phone.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:32 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The same thing happened to me a month or so ago. What I observed though was that the car had been sitting awhile (I know, I know), and perhaps the battery was a bit drained. The next time I started it up, like the others, I had no problems.

Wonder if the low current on initial startup confoozles the immobilizer system?

- Dave
- '97 Ocean Blue Metallic Coupe (owned for 1+ year and /finally/ I post to R'List...)

Quick Reply: Immobilizer status display malfuction...???