993 Forum 1995-1998

Suspension,,,To DIY or not DIY,,,

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Bogwan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension,,,To DIY or not DIY,,,

I'm really torn on what to do when my M030's and HD's show up. It seems like a big DIY. Between the tools that are needed that I don't have(Torx stuff, special socket, spring compressor?), the great advantage of two people(which is doughtful), and the overall aspect of easily screwing something small up that could snowball into a huge headache and cost a bunch of money to fix, I'm leaning towards having a shop do it.

I'd love the satisfaction of saying I did it, but am quite worried for the above reasons. All experience, advice, and/or encouragement for this install would be appreciated.

Lastly, if you recommend a shop do it, does anyone know a dependable, and reasonable shop in the Tacoma/Seattle area.

Thanks for any feedback out there. The more the better.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:27 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to do this myself, but I don't think I am set up to do it--both tools and experience.

Perhaps it would be cheaper just to buy Bob a plane ticket to Michigan.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:35 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you say "ROADTRIP"? Florida is not that far away, is it?

It is really not that difficult an install. Very few special tools are needed. There is no spring compressor required either, so it is a safe install. Did you get the HD install tips Greg? Not sure if you had requested one. I am always available on the phone as moral support. As you said, there is a lot of satisfaction when you do it yourself....
Old 02-14-2006, 07:42 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its really no harder than doing most other things on these cars. The rears may pose a little trickier than the front just because of all the adjustments and things that go on in back. I'm sure Bob has all the proper instruction at his disposal for anything you may have problems with. Just take your time, think about what you're doing and go slow. Pay attention, take pics as you go if you must......
Old 02-14-2006, 07:45 PM
cmoss

Originally Posted by Bogwan
I'm really torn on what to do when my M030's and HD's show up. It seems like a big DIY. Between the tools that are needed that I don't have(Torx stuff, special socket, spring compressor?), the great advantage of two people(which is doughtful), and the overall aspect of easily screwing something small up that could snowball into a huge headache and cost a bunch of money to fix, I'm leaning towards having a shop do it.

I'd love the satisfaction of saying I did it, but am quite worried for the above reasons. All experience, advice, and/or encouragement for this install would be appreciated.

Lastly, if you recommend a shop do it, does anyone know a dependable, and reasonable shop in the Tacoma/Seattle area.

Thanks for any feedback out there. The more the better.
I love the satisfaction of knowing I didn't do it, and it therefore it is not likely to fall off, crumple, twist, or break in ways unforseen by experts. If I was a mechanic, my nickname would be "thumbs."
Old 02-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Try Aker's (on Broadway near Capitol Hill). I used them for a PPI (on a car I didn't buy) last summer & they were top notch! I have also heard others on the board recommend them.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bogwan
tools that are needed that I don't have(Torx stuff, special socket, spring compressor?)
Good excuse to buy new tools!
Old 02-14-2006, 07:57 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

Are you kidding? DIY=Excuse to buy more tools! "Honey, I am saving soooo much money doing it this way."

Seriously though, the job is not that hard. Excellent instructions are available on pcar.com. I did it by myself, in my garage, over the course of two days. This is a great project if you are even moderately mechanically inclined. Just be sure to have a qualified shop available for an immediate corner balance (if the HD's allow it) and alignment (you probably don't want/need an alignment rack in your garage-some "tools" are a little expensive!). Don't drive it further than the alignment shop. You can also ask them to "check it over" for you while in the air to be sure you didn't make any big mistakes. For the most part, the pieces only go on one way. Threading the front sway bar into place is a bit of a puzzle, but completely doable. Take your time, take pictures as you go, and use your torque wrench religiously. Just don't start this on a Saturday morning expecting to run in the next day's Sunday morning autocross.

Jason
Old 02-14-2006, 07:59 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

Father of 3 you are fast...!
Old 02-14-2006, 08:01 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are really starting to make me think I should give it a go....
Old 02-14-2006, 08:19 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

I'd vote for the DIY route. If you have experience with even moderate DIY projects, this should be within your grasp.

As others have said, just take your time and allow a proper shop to handle the alignment (including kinematic) and corner balancing (if desired).

I have the same setup sitting at home waiting for me to install. After replacing my clutch slave cylinder, I feel confident enough to do a complete motor tear-down

Andreas
Old 02-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's more fun to watch Bob install it and bother him with stupid questions the whole time. At least that's what I did.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:23 PM
cowtown
Racer

I'd put it at a 7/10, where 10 is rebuilding an engine and 1 is inflating tires. It's a big project for a backyard mechanic, but you'll save a ton of money. Took me one weekend to install, then another day to get the ride height perfect so I could go to Devek for a CB and align.

Look into the locking-ring threads and swaybar mount options...if you're going to add extra lock rings, this is the time. I added an extra to my HDs, even though there's not as much thread as on PSS9s.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:32 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Cowtown,
What is a good source for the extra lock rings (Bilstein HD from Gert)?

Andreas
Old 02-14-2006, 09:13 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Greg,

If you have the time and the place it's not bad at all. Like Bob said you really don't need any special tools. Also, if you get stuck, you have a bunch of people around here that can talk you through it.

Shawn

Quick Reply: Suspension,,,To DIY or not DIY,,,