Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did worn clutch/flywheel mask worn synchros??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 01:18 AM
Porscheologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did worn clutch/flywheel mask worn synchros??

Ok so here is the deal. Prior to my recent clutch job my gearbox had no shift issues at all. Smooth up and smooth down rain or shine hot or cold. Now my gearbox has a crunch in to second gear when cold and I can't downshift to 1st unless almost completely stopped hot or cold. I have re-bled my clutch 3 times and know its not the issue. I tried Mobil 1 sythetic and now Redline synthetic. No changes still the same.

I have begun to think that my worn clutch, clutchplate and flywheel were masking worn synchro gears. Think about it. My clutch was so worn that it engaged at the very top of the pedal stroke. Now it engages much sooner near the bottom of the stroke. This means that the syncros had more time to match RPMs before. Now they have much less time (compared to before). When I double clutch ( buying me more time) I lose the crunch and notchiness. I have even double clutched down to first with no gear grind.

My question is has anyone else experienced this type of syncro trouble after a clutch job. My car has 71k miles and these gears are brass ( I think). They don't last forever. I am still gonna try Swepco 201. I read at P-Car.com that Robin had the same issue though I am not sure if it was after a clutch job or not.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:50 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

This sounds very plausible. I'm interested to see what the knowledgeable ones say.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Did worn clutch/flywheel mask worn synchros??