Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Rebuild Part IV - The saga of the valve guides..and carbon..

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Toga
Thanks Mike!
I can imagine how easier it is to work on the engine with your stand!!
This could be my next project.
If you need any dimensions just PM me. I tried to make the yoke just above my belt line...that way if the engine is on its edge I can reach to the top and if its horizontal is at a comfortable height.

Originally Posted by tam993
So once you remove the cams you have to reset them? Like some engines you can replace them without reseting the timing.
Nope, the timing it totally gone. Actually I don't find that part that hard. I think the hardest part is getting the cases back together leak free and putting the P/C's back on the rods...I am not looking forward to that at all..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-11-2006, 02:12 AM
Dave Crellin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent thread Mike.

The picture of the exhaust valve is interesting. The pitting on that looks really deep. I had my top-end rebuilt for the dreaded SAI, and had new exhaust valves and guides put in. I still have the valves that came out and they looked smoother than in your pics.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:45 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dave Crellin
Excellent thread Mike.

The picture of the exhaust valve is interesting. The pitting on that looks really deep. I had my top-end rebuilt for the dreaded SAI, and had new exhaust valves and guides put in. I still have the valves that came out and they looked smoother than in your pics.
Smoother in what way? Are you looking at the face of the valve, or the sealing edge? I could also be that the pictures I post are low res because of the size restrictions on the upload (unless there is a better way?).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-11-2006, 06:42 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I could also be that the pictures I post are low res because of the size restrictions on the upload (unless there is a better way?).
Head over to the Rennlist Members Area and register a site. You can then upload 200 megabytes of whatever and best of all the images won't be deleted 9 months from now like regular attachment style images.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leakdown...results??? Did you isolate where the leakdown occurred? Intake, Exhaust, Rings? Any idea? Great series of pix. Setting a standard there if you ask me.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Dave Crellin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smoother on the sealing edge. i can try and get a picture
Old 01-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dave Crellin
Smoother on the sealing edge. i can try and get a picture
I just dropped the heads off at my machinist. He will take them apart and inspect in the next few days. He told me that it was hard to tell the condition of the valves until he has cleaned them up a bit...sometimes carbon bits built up on the edges and they look real crappy. I will also know what valves are toast i a few days as well...the ones that I measured looks undersized..

BTW I was measuring wrong. The picture is really small in the manuals, I measured the slop at the top of the valve stem, not the bottom. I rejigged and measured 0.90mm movement at the bottom. Its still not as per the manuals since I am using my old valve and I did not remove the seal. After my machinist takes them all apart in the next few days and I get new valves (if I n eed them) then I will remeasure.

Posting a picture of what your found would be great.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild Part IV - The saga of the valve guides..and carbon..