Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   LPMM's+Cat bypass pipes=LOUD (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/243242-lpmms-cat-bypass-pipes-loud.html)

Leland Pate 12-15-2005 12:36 PM

LPMM's+Cat bypass pipes=LOUD

Well, I may have gone over the top.
I installed a pair of Fabspeed cat by-pass pipes on the black ghost and man-o-man is it loud.
Don't get me wrong here, it sounds mean as hell. Under full throttle it is very intimidating. On decel itburbles and pops quite vocally.
But, I may be pissing off my neighbors.
I have an extra set of stock mufflers in the attic and may end up installing those to see if I get just a tad more mellow sound.
I will keep the LPMM's for DE events because it sounds flat out awesome under power.

For those of you running by-pass pipes with stock mufflers, how would you describe the sound?

Also, if someone wants to host another video, I can take a video clip of the beast tearing up the neighborhood.

With all the modification I've made to this car I have learned I really have to watch what I'm doing. Full power application will most likely result in a spin unless I am heading absolutely straight.

TheOtherEric 12-15-2005 01:53 PM

Pardon my ignorance but what the heck is an LPMM?

Leland Pate 12-15-2005 02:02 PM

You mean to tell me you've never heard of LPMM's?
Ha! What, have you been living under a rock?
:D

LPMM's are my modified mufflers. A couple Rennlisters have done similar modifications and someone dubbed them LPMM's.
Check out my signature for a couple video clips.

rattlsnak 12-15-2005 02:22 PM

so what did you do exactly to your mufflers? sounds great..

pcar964 12-15-2005 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
With all the modification I've made to this car I have learned I really have to watch what I'm doing. Full power application will most likely result in a spin unless I am heading absolutely straight.

haha - unless you have dropped a turbo motor in that thing, I think you might be overstating the case a little :roflmao:

96C4S 12-15-2005 03:02 PM

i have fabspeed maxflos and cat bypass sounds awsome and at part throttle isnt to bad

NoSubEDU 12-15-2005 03:21 PM

Can't wait to hear it...I'm going to need to go catbypass eventually, but keeping it smog legal for now.

I've got the supercup exhaust on my car, but with stock mufflers, and I STILL have to be very careful re: the neighbors. lol.

TheOtherEric 12-15-2005 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU
Can't wait to hear it...I'm going to need to go catbypass eventually, but keeping it smog legal for now.

I've got the supercup exhaust on my car, but with stock mufflers, and I STILL have to be very careful re: the neighbors. lol.

Just don't do Supercup and cay bypass TOGETHER. Yikes, it's the worst sounding thing I've ever heard, and I don't say that lightly.

grmnxtc 12-15-2005 03:27 PM

Leland,

sending you a PM. I can host again.

Clive.

NoSubEDU 12-15-2005 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Just don't do Supercup and cay bypass TOGETHER. Yikes, it's the worst sounding thing I've ever heard, and I don't say that lightly.

Really? Didn't know! I do love the supercup's though. Very aggressive sound.

Anybody know of a link to cay bypass and supercups together??

Thanks for the tip.

Mark in Baltimore 12-15-2005 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric

Eric,

Can you refresh our memories and describe how bad the combo is? Colorful yet accurate verbiage would be helpful eg. a 1,000 burrito-eating bears farting into a coffee can or some such.

Seriously.

TheOtherEric 12-15-2005 04:09 PM

Mark, I don't think any creative analogies would do it justice. Suffice it to say that to recreate this sound, you would need the following:

1. One (1) jet airplane
2. Four (4) empty oil drums
3. Six hundred thousand (600,000) cotton balls
4. Eighty (80) cows (optional)
5. Eighty (80) megaphones

Mark in Baltimore 12-15-2005 04:20 PM

Eric,

I can only understand the noise if you reference a quantity of coffee cans. j/k

Thanks for the reply. :)

TheOtherEric 12-15-2005 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU
...Anybody know of a link to cay bypass and supercups together??

Thanks for the tip.

LoL, I don't think anyone who accidentally tried this combo would be silly enough to record it for others to hear. It's seriously that bad. It sounds much more like an old chevy (with no muffler) than a porsche.

Bill Verburg 12-15-2005 04:59 PM

I have a Fabiani cat bypass and RSRs on one car, it is aggressive at full throttle but other wise not bad

here are some quickies

3.6, cat bypass, RSRs

3.8RS, B&B headers, Flowmaster