Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Do you shift into neutral while waiting at stop lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 10:47 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'38 3-Speed Chevy Coupe to a 914-4 here.

tino
Old 12-13-2005, 12:35 AM
Freddy
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I shift into neutral on every stop light.
Both 95 and 96 993 start w/o the need to press the clutch.
Freddy
Old 12-13-2005, 06:00 AM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 1997 model starts without clutch being pressed, but I press the clutch through mechanical sympathy. It puts less strain on the starter motor as it doesn't have to turn the transmission as well as the engine.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:33 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

I shift into neutral at every stop light. And once the car behind me has finally stopped, after pumping my brakes, to make sure he/she, has seen my stop lights, and not smashed into my unprotected rear end,. I pull my hand brake up, to avoid my foot from buring out my light bulbs and obliterating the eyesight of those sensitive to, bright red brake lights,..That’s what I do, it works for me...
PS. ""I ALWAYS!!"" Allow 2 to 3 yards of open space between the car in front of me, and myself, just in case,. Many a time that margin of error has saved me a visit to the body shop, or even worse for, OUR Porsches, a destroyed Flat 6 Engine Bay!!...Marc
Old 12-13-2005, 08:11 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 97 had its clutch replaced at 80K miles...not because the clutch was gone but because the dual mass was cluncking!! I bought the car with 76K on the clock and no it was not picked up on PPI. BUT the good side was it allowed me to go to RS Clutch and LFW!!! Every cloud has a silver......

My car both before and after RS clutch installation requires clutch to be depress before she will fire up.....isnt it interesting how these cars differ so much!

Mark....do you shift to neutral without clutch always??? What is the technique...I have never tried this although my son says he does this on his gearbox kart.....
Old 12-13-2005, 11:22 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

David,
No just before stopping, I step on the clutch and rest in natural. Engage First gear obviously stepping on the clutch, release the hand brake and zoom on down the street,. I always use my gear box to slow down and brake really as the last action before coming to a stop. I respect the mechanics of the gearbox, clutch, and transmission. So called, "Speed Shifting", where the clutch is not engaged and up and down shifting to the revs of the engine could be done, but not with my Porsche 911/964,. With something new, not respected, yeah okay, but even then, I would only do it to show off maybe to my Dog, Cooky...
PS. I'm 58, my Father taught me how to drive 50 years ago on a MB 180S 4sd.colume shift.....
Old 12-13-2005, 01:46 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sidned
My 1997 model starts without clutch being pressed, but I press the clutch through mechanical sympathy. It puts less strain on the starter motor as it doesn't have to turn the transmission as well as the engine.

Maybe only US speced cars were designed with the clutch switch after the 96MY?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:30 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kkim
Maybe only US speced cars were designed with the clutch switch after the 96MY?
Seems logical.
Okay, who wants to start the next thread: "Do you double-clutch"?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

I still dont understand why people go from in-gear to Neutral w/o using the clutch?? Why is this not bad?? i always thought that you should clutch anytime u touch the shift ****
Old 12-13-2005, 09:28 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

As I mentioned in an earlier post... you can shift just fine without using a clutch at all... provided you're very careful to take all the strain off the gearbox, and careful matching the revs before selecting the next gear. Popping into neutral without using the clutch is normally harmless, but depite what people think, does nothing to save the clutch from wear.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:31 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Originally Posted by ca993twin
As I mentioned in an earlier post... you can shift just fine without using a clutch at all... provided you're very careful to take all the strain off the gearbox, and careful matching the revs before selecting the next gear. Popping into neutral without using the clutch is normally harmless, but depite what people think, does nothing to save the clutch from wear.
when i was in college i had an old chevy and i used to practice shifting it without using the clutch; i could get it about 75% of the time ;-)
Old 12-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by dhicks
Mark....do you shift to neutral without clutch always??? What is the technique...I have never tried this although my son says he does this on his gearbox kart.....
Almost always, David. I've been doing it for so long, I don't even think about it. If I feel any resistance, I hit the clutch but, usually, the gear slides right on out as smooth as buttah.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:23 AM
jmriggio
Advanced

Interesting thread. I use neutral all the time......My car is not my daily driver......my leg gets a little fatigued if I am holding that clutch in all the time in LA stop n' go.....
As for engine braking....I use it very little...agree with the " that's what my big reds are for" camp.
Thanks for the interesting opinions.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:30 PM
rickw51
Instructor

An interesting thread .. I was taught and have done so in every manual transmission auto I've owned or driven the technique of neutral at stops with feet off the pedals and parking brake engaged. I ascribe to the guideline of minimum distance from the car in front is where you can see their rear tires in contact with the ground, but I normally err to at least one car length behind them. In 37 years of driving it has worked and I don't see any reason to change the habit.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Shiftless...

I guess I am in the minority here. I don't understand why folks shift into neutral a hundred yards before a stop light.... I don't usually have that much time. Plus I think it compromises controlling the stop.

Also, I don't shift into neutral all that much at a stop light either. Unless it's a lonnnnnnng light. I usually keep my left foot on the clutch.

I'm not an authority on 911s, but I've had 4 or 5 variations of the vehicle. I have always "down shifted" when coming to a stop. I try to match revs as well. And, I normally leave the clutch engaged at a stop light.... normal length light. Never had a problem with the clutch.

I've never heard of what you all are speaking of. I grew up with manual trannys and never shifted into neutral at stops... I down shift all my motorcycles and all my vehicles. Don't remember BMW saying I should shift into neutral at stop lights with my M3 or M5. Perhaps I should reread the manual, eh?

Perhaps I am just too ignorant to know, but will someone verify with Porsche that this shifting into neutral is 'common practice and recommended to preserve the clutch'? I'd like to see it from the horses mouth.

Thanx.... BAGGER

Quick Reply: Do you shift into neutral while waiting at stop lights?