Sponsored by:

Hydraulic lifter question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 04:23 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hydraulic lifter question

Could someone give me a detailed explantion or diagram on how hydraulic lifters work? I've looked at the diagram of the lifter in Bruce Anderson's book but really can't get a feel for how it exactly works. Also, why does this eliminate the need for valve adjustments? FWIW, I fully comprehend the mechanical system on my '88 but this issue really baffles me.
TIA
Old 11-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hydraulic pressure pumps up the lifter. Since the pressure is regulated to be constant, the length of the lifter and the force exerted are also constant. It expands in length as needed, so no adjustments are necessary. As I understand, the only possible problem is a failure of the seals, which requires a new lifter.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:41 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if you've seen this before... some very good info and pictures.

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-993-1995-1998/197318-lifter-repair-101-a.html
Old 11-04-2005, 09:17 PM
cowtown
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 88911coupe
Could someone give me a detailed explantion or diagram on how hydraulic lifters work? I've looked at the diagram of the lifter in Bruce Anderson's book but really can't get a feel for how it exactly works. Also, why does this eliminate the need for valve adjustments? FWIW, I fully comprehend the mechanical system on my '88 but this issue really baffles me.
TIA
Think of the lifter as an automatic version of the little adjustment screw that takes a flathead screwdriver on your '88. Instead of manually measuring clearance and adjusting using a feeler, the lifter uses oil pressure to take up the slack space between the top of the valve stem and the rocker.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:01 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, very helpful!
Old 11-04-2005, 11:23 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by cowtown
Think of the lifter as an automatic version of the little adjustment screw that takes a flathead screwdriver on your '88. Instead of manually measuring clearance and adjusting using a feeler, the lifter uses oil pressure to take up the slack space between the top of the valve stem and the rocker.
Kinda like 12 little German mechanics riding along under the valve covers
Old 11-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just re-read my post. Sort of mis-spoke, since th length IS NOT constant, but adjusts as needed. The constant hydraulic pressure means the pressure exerted is constant. If the adjustment is "loose," the lifter exoands, taking up slack. When it reaches proper length, it can't expand beyond what is "needed" by the rocker, and the pressure releif valve lets the "push back" by the rocker push oil out of the lifter until the lenght is "right" again.

"Knowing" how it works and "explaining" how it works aren't the same thing, especially in my case.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic lifter question