993 Forum 1995-1998

When people ask, "What do you drive?"

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 01:07 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Thanks for all of your thoughts! Many of you have looked into this thread far deeper than I anticipated. I may have worded it wrong, as the real question for me is the 911 / 993 / Carrera debate. I have no trouble telling people I have a Porsche - in fact I'm proud that I finally made the move. But I've heard the 993 referred to by different labels so many times, that I thought it prudent to put the confusion to rest once and for all.

So, after all of your introspective musings, is there anything wrong with proclaiming that the car is still, essentially, a 911? 993 model, yes, but in reality it's a 911.

Andreas
Old 10-18-2005, 02:20 PM
hawk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

re:" is there anything wrong with proclaiming that the car is still, essentially, a 911? 993 model, yes, but in reality it's a 911."

Why do they call it ovaltine. The mug is round, the jar is round. They should
call it 'roundtine.'
Old 10-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

This is an interesting thread. Upon reflection I have to admit that I am a bit embarassed at driving a $65K car that is somewhat frivolous. I always say Audi wagon. If someone comments while I am driving the Porsche, I rarely volunteer that it is a turbo since I have rear badge delete.

Greg H.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:56 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Avenger6
For me, this has become such an issue that I will now "hide" the fact that I own it. I was hassled (finding a ticket for "speeding" on my parked car 3 hours later) by base security (government civilian police employees) who have yet to give me an explanation of why, saying only that "we'll discuss it in court." In trying to sort this out, I have gotten all kinds of comments along the lines of "that's a pretty fancy car for someone of YOUR rank...what'd you do, win the lottery?" from a variety of senior ranking officers. Guilty until proven innocent. The one or two other guys with p-cars have faced some of the same things. There is one guy with a turbo-look cab of about '87 vintage. He recently put 993TT wheels on the car and said he suddenly got pulled over and searched at the gate a lot more often.

Plus, there is the whole security clearance issue. Over the last few years, any "display of wealth" is looked at suspiciously, and can be used to start an investigation. Of course, this is again a "guilty until proven innocent" situation, because you are immediatly removed from access (essentially fired from your job) until it is sorted out.

So, I no longer drive it onto the base (it is my daily driver for this year....don't want to buy another car for such a short assignment), and when I get to Germany, if I am forced to LIVE on base, I will find a garage off base and keep the car there. I will not speak of the car or my car activities.

Just saves a lot of hassles and saves me from being labeled. Sucks, but that's how it is. I had this to a lesser extent with my '75 when I first bought it. The only thing that reduced it somewhat was the fact that the car was "chocolate brown" and the paint was kinda bad.
Avenger, I am sorry that you are getting hammered by Superior Officers and civilian rent a cops. When I get questioned I make a comment to the affect of how affordable they are and quote the sale price data from Excellance. Most are surprised on how affordable they are compared to the loaded Surburban. You are not telling them how much you paid but how affordable they are to own. THAT could get their little minds turning with "Hey, I could afford one".

I always thought in California you have to be present to be cited for an infraction without a photo of you driving. How do they know it was you and not your CO, who might be contemplating buying an affordable Porsche?
If it is feesable you might want to buy a motor scooter to comutte to the base.

As for what car I drive? I just say an old Porsche unless the person is an a$$ or an enthusist or a hot chick in which case I say 993.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:11 PM
cooz
Pro

Default "2 porsches and a toyota"

"two porsches & a toyota"
Old 10-18-2005, 04:17 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.
This is an interesting thread. Upon reflection I have to admit that I am a bit embarassed at driving a $65K car that is somewhat frivolous. I always say Audi wagon. If someone comments while I am driving the Porsche, I rarely volunteer that it is a turbo since I have rear badge delete.

Greg H.
Jeez and here I'm embarrased that I have to tell people mine's not a Turbo, just looks like one. "all the weight without the grunt!"
I proudly drive a PORSCHE.....WOW, what kind they ask......a 1997 993 Carerra 4S with variable all wheel drive.........Cooooool they usually reply.

Frivolous or not, I worked hard to get what I have, and damn proud to have it!
Old 10-18-2005, 04:49 PM
rickw51
Instructor

Not many people ask this question of me, but when asked I tell them I drive the Explorer to, from, and at work (company rig) and a Porsche on my own time. That answer raises questions about my work (not many have company cars) and of course the requisite longer conversation about the Porsche, which I happily engage them in. This leads to the discussion about the 911, Carrera, 993 monikers and all of the other things mentioned in the prior posts. Frequently this results in a ride in the car at some point because most folks have never had the pleasure of experiencing a Porsche from inside the car. Maybe this will inspire some other Porsche dreamers to pursue their dreams and become enthusiasts.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:40 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a live interview on CNN when Katrina was nearing shore and the reporter asked the person who was walking his dog "Why are you walking your dog when one of the biggest hurricanes may hit New Orleans?" and the guy responded "None your *&^$ing business!!" That was really funny at the time and I about fell over.

I generally dont get asked what kind a car I drive. I have a sweet 77 Ford Bronco Sport and that gets more attention that my 993. Gernerally speaking, it all depends on the weather for me. Thats how I answer. My 993 and Bronco Sport dont see rain, snow, or bad weather.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:57 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cannot remember last time someone asked the car(s) I drive. If asked, I would say Volvo and Porsche. No buffering, let them ask the next question.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:27 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

I will alway remember the HOG member I was talking with. He said that Harley and Porsche owners had at least one thing in common. If a person asks why you own it, they will never understand the answer. I just say a 95 Porsche and let the conversation go where it will.

Al
Old 10-18-2005, 07:55 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"a Porsche"
Old 10-18-2005, 08:49 PM
ernmony
Advanced

A Nice Hooptie!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:44 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I make no apologies but I don't use it to try and show off either. I just say that I finally got the car I've dreamed of since I was in 6th grade. And pronounce it with two syllables.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:13 AM
wcwinc
AutoX

Angry

i very seldom get asked what i drive but
as a woman i am asked ALL the time.... Who's Car ???
it really makes me mad cause they think that a woman can't like these cars , drive them or afford them ... wrong !!
i can't however fix them ... like you guys

Last edited by wcwinc; 10-21-2005 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:33 AM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting question that get asked all the time here in miami. used to say a 911( i have a 964), but it always led to more unecessary conversations. now i just say a jeep (daily driver). when i get busted in it i just tell " haaah, its just an old car). on the other hand, i think older porsches can tell a lot about their owner's style and taste. iam sure a lot of people dont recognize the 993s compared the old 964 look, so you guys might have to explain some more.

Quick Reply: When people ask, "What do you drive?"