Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How to clean inside the tach's lens?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 01:07 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question How to clean inside the tach's lens?

My instruments have crystal clear lenses except for the tach which has a kind of foggy one...not a big deal but not s clean as the others...is it possible to remove the lens to clean the inner side ? Is there a DIY procedure or the way is through Holywood or Palo Alto speedometers?

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-27-2005, 02:52 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not easy - nor for the faint of heart.

The "V1 remote in the tach" over @ P-car.com might give you some ideas

http://p-car.com/diy/v1/remote/index.html

Clive
Old 09-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's no way to replace those bezels without making it very obvious you've had them apart. I think Palo Alto and NH use some kind of press with new bezels. If you can live without your car for two wks. and have the money, I'd send the gauges out for new glass and some upgrades.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Thanks Clive...Rick...just the tach is a little foggy depending on external light...the other instruments are crystal clear...impossible to see at night when the lights are on...I think I'll leave the way it is and avoid the trouble...

Thanks for the feedback...
Old 09-27-2005, 07:52 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pedro,I have the exact same car as you (if your's is blue/white) and I have the exact same problem. After having just overhauled my odometer I think I'll wait awhile before taking on the tach. Its a little scary messing with such delicate, expensive items. It seems as though the tach face might be plexi and the rest are glass ??
Old 09-27-2005, 08:13 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Same thing here with my tach lens, must be pretty common.....I'm leaving mine alone as long as the tach works.......ZP44
Old 09-27-2005, 11:33 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Thanks Joel...ZP44...I think you guys are right...leave the thing alone...not too bad after all...the other 4 clocks are crystal clear and the tach slightly foggy...maybe the tach has a plexi lens indeed...

Yes Joel...my car is white/blue w/ two tone interior "WQ"...grey seats/blue dash & trim...
Old 09-27-2005, 11:44 PM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default foggy tach lens

mine is a european 993 version , not american version , and has the same foggy thing inside the tach glass ....

also is wise and true to keep it till works ... my porsche mechanic told me that is possible to get cleared, but also is highly possible to damage the outside of the unit in the meantime ...

or go to ebay and buy a almost new tach, for 160 dollars more or less ....
so you change the whole thing and has an spare ...

Anyone knows WHY this strange phenomena happens ___???
Old 09-27-2005, 11:48 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Pedro...our cars most be twins for sure! Mine has the same dull looking glass on the tach. Not much, just not as clear as the other instruments.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:35 AM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

You guys are killing me. I had to hide my car in a friends garage because with Hurricane Rita headed our way I was scared my garage might flood. I've yet to get over there to pick it up but with a "cool" front(from 98 degrees to 86 degrees) headed our way I'd better go pick it up !!! Your avatars have inspired me to get it shined up and on the road. Beautiful cars.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:38 AM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Pedro, To my understanding one need to take off the (metal) bezel / ring holding the glass in place. This is done by very carefully using a small to medium-sized screwdriver or alike, bending all the way around its edges (or perhaps tap lightly at the end of it with a plastic hammer) until it's loose enough to come off.
For re-fitment, any type of thin "plastic rod" can be used, holding this against the same edge, and tap carefully on its edge with a (plastic) hammer. This while the instrument lays face down on a thick cloth.
Each of these procedures should take less than 5 minutes each, and when re-installed one should not notice any visible marks on the bezel itself

Last edited by Kolbjorn S; 09-29-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

On a cold, damp day I sometimes see condensation inside the tack for a while. Does anyone else get this?

Cheers,

David
Old 09-29-2005, 06:49 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Well today, I don't see any condensation or is it blurry, but I do have a dead insect in my speedo gauge.

-nelson
Old 09-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Hi Joel...drive your car before temperature drops below 80 degrees!!! :- )

Hey Cabrio...our cars are twins indeed!!! Sometimes your Avatar makes me confuse..is it my car???

Thanks for the tip Kolbjorn but it sounds like brain surgery to me...I'm kind of afraid to mess with the delicate parts...Eloy's idea to get another one on eBay is good but, how can one tell whether or not the eBay one is not foggy as well!

Hi David...what is a cold damp day? Just kidding...what about a HOT as hell damp one...when you have the A/C on full force and decide to lower the top...you have condensation all over the instruments panel...scary!

Nelson...dead insect in your speedo...it's like the 993's dealer poster: "IT KILLS BUGS FAST"

Take care...
Old 09-30-2005, 11:20 AM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

I just repaired my odometer myself going by the "P-Car" diy. Taking the bezel off, if you do it right and are careful about things, can take 45 minutes or more. Its very tedious and requires lots of patience. Having said that, I think you must add more time just to get the tach out. I believe you might have to take off the steering wheel. Anyway its not a quickie.
Pedro, my favorite times to drive my car are crisp 60 degree days of which Houston sees very, very few !!

Quick Reply: How to clean inside the tach's lens?