Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Rear Spoiler Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The liners (18) are mounted between the right and left rear spoiler mounting plates (25 and 26) and the rear deck lid. The liners look like long, thin, rectangular shims and are roughly the same length as the mounting plates. There may be 4 liners mounted between a mounting plate and the deck lid. Each liner is approximately 18 centimeters (7 inches) long and approximately 2.5 (1 inch) centimeters wide.

Last edited by Doc V.; 02-20-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:21 AM
mortod
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help - have now fixed mine. Here are a few more tips:

To get to those shims, first remove the three plastic caps which were circled in the above photo. Just loosen the nuts below, and with the engine lid open it is quite easy to slide a shim out (tease it out with a small screwdriver), though you may need to remove just one screw altogether. When loosening those screws use an allen key whilst holding the nut still with a spanner, as turning the nut will tend to strip paint from that part of the lid.

With the screws all loose there is actually quite a bit of play in the spoiler. With the spoiler down you can move it so as to be sure of clearance all round - slide a small piece of paper under the spoiler to be shure it is not fowling. I removed just one shim from each side (and a fat plastic washer which was on one side).

It probably took me an hour in all with raising and lowering the spoiler several times to get it just right. Plus the spoiler needs to be up to loosen the screw but down when adjusting its position.

I don't think those limit switches that someone mentioned will help, nor will replacing the rubbers. On the LHS there is also an adjustable stop screw, but I couldn't see anything anywhere neat the end of it so adjusting it would not have had much effect - a mystery.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:01 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

bumping this decade+ old thread, not because it was hard to find, but because Doc V's instructions made this very easy.
the spoiler mounts from underneath the decklid, adding 'liners' moves the spoiler down tighter to the decklid. in my case too tight causing rubbing.
I removed one liner from the right side, no more rubbing and the spoiler sits flat across the decklid.
there is also quite a bit of adjustment room to fit the spoiler if you loosen all the mounting screws.
took less than 30 minutes to remove a liner and make adjustments so the spoiler sits correctly.

Originally Posted by Doc V.
Problems created by contact between the spoiler and the deck lid can be alleviated by adding or removing shims--or what are referred to as "liners" in the 993 Workshop Manual: "the distance between the rear spoiler and rear cover can be adjusted by fitting liners (up to 4 per side) between the [two spoiler] mounting plates and the rear cover." See Volume 5, Body, 66-1 through 66-7 of the Workshop Manual.

On two 993s, I made the corrective adjustment by removing liners, and in each case the wear--the scuffing of the paint--between the spoiler and the deck lid was stopped.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:08 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

This is what the liners look like...They are between my fingers.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 993 Rear Spoiler Adjustment