993 Forum 1995-1998

Canvas top maintenance - RaggTopp

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Canvas top maintenance - RaggTopp

Dear friends...I'm taking a couple of hours this Sunday to take care of my convertible top...I did follow the list's advice and got the "RaggTopp" products.

The top must be as clean as it gets...it's a good idea to use a lint roller to remove dust and pet's hair...when surface is dry and clean...you apply 3 uniform coats of the "protectant" (with drying intervals between applications) and your top will be troublefree...after this first application...one coat will be enough every 3 months according to the guy at the upholstery shop I got the product from...

I'm going to the second layer...I'll post feedback tomorrow as it takes 24 hours for the complete bonding/dry process to finish...

Some pictures of "how to isolate the adjacent areas"!
Attached Images       
Old 08-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pedro -

Nice write up on the subject. The conventional wisdom about a a year and a half ago was Raggtop did not require all the masking, thus making it more user friendly.

If anyone knows differently, please let me know. Car has not melted into a pile of goo - at least not yet.

Best wishes
Old 08-14-2005, 03:04 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH! My My Pedro... you do have well manicured hands!

Look forward to the feedback...
Old 08-14-2005, 03:29 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pedro -

I applied Raggtopp Protectant to my rag top two weeks ago. I did not do as much masking off as you did and everything turned out fine--and this was on a black car to boot.

I just took a midsize cotton towel and folded it enough so that is generally covered the rear window--it was okay to have some areas exposed. I wasn't concerned with the glass or surrounding paint because after I sprayed the top, I put another coat of wax on. Between coats of wax, I applied a coat of Raggtopp. Worked great.

The windows clean right up with Invisible Glass.

A week later I wash the car. Although I don't wash the top every time I wash the car, I did gently spray the top to check the beading and was quite impressed. The Raggtopp looked great. I'll check it again in a few months.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Hey GRMNXTC...you got me...wife is the real handyman here!!! ;- )

Hey Jeff...Howard...my masking did a little mess to the rear vinyl window...little plastic against plastic stain kind of hard to eliminate...other than that...the process was smooth...24 hours in the garage for a safe bonding process.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:37 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I used the same stuff. It is unreal how well it beads. A hint on the covering of the side windows. I close a old sheet inside the window in the door. Quick and easy.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Thanks Jim...anybody with a magic recipe to clean the stain (looks like delamination) from the clear plastic film in contact with the vinyl rear window...I did try everything but I still find (looking at certain angle)...I leaned this lesson:

Do not mask your rear vinyl window with plastic food wraper...it leaves a stubborn stain!
Old 08-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pedro -

You might try Novus 1 Plastic Clean and Shine. The Novus 2 has a minor scratch remover and if this stain needs a bit of soft abrasion this might do the trick. I'm sure others will name their remedies.

Best of luck
Old 08-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Thanks Howard...I appreciate the tip...
Old 09-05-2005, 06:56 PM
polver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WRT rear window cleaning....Do you clean both inside and out or just inside to remove discoloration/cloudiness?
Old 09-05-2005, 07:55 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Clean inside and out.

Quick Reply: Canvas top maintenance - RaggTopp