993 Forum 1995-1998

Beat by a Mini

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 11:27 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beat by a Mini

Well, how do I say this? I got beat by a Mini at last weekends BMW CR. Great driver! Anyway, enjoy the video:

Fun Race

George
Old 08-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice video...thanks for sharing...the image's quality is fantastic...great camera set-up!

Take care...
Old 08-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Well don't feel bad about it, it is perfectly reasonable, don't ask me why I am saying this
Old 08-10-2005, 11:50 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Boy, I wonder why it took me 19:10 to reply to this thread. That was awesome.

It sure looked like you had him around a couple of those corners, but he shut the door on ya.

Very cool video!

What kind of car what the white one in front?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Trouble is that with Stability systems on board , a monkey driving the Mini would give you problems!!
Geoff
Old 08-10-2005, 12:05 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys, it was actually the most fun I had the entire weekend.

Jean, I need to hear your story to make me feel better about myself!!!!!!

Jeff, that was a replica E46 M3 PTG car. It is built to a T, even the cage is incredible. I've got some pictures from the races and he is in several of them. I'll post some as soon as I download them tonight.

George

Last edited by George A; 08-11-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

That is just wrong...
Old 08-10-2005, 12:10 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to regularly stomp all kinds of cars in my tricked out '03 MINI - I particularly enjoyed passing a bunch of Ferrari's at a PPIR DE. Most of the M3's at BMWCCA DE's weren't much of a challenge and it was a rare Audi at the ACNA DE's that could keep up. But that being said, I got my 993 after trashing my front tires trying to keep up with a couple of nice and well-driven p cars at Heartland Park (a 996 turbo and a RUF). I haven't regretted selling the MINI for the 993 at all, except I miss the embarrassment factor that the MINI would cause. Now it's expected that the 993 will be fast and people love to try and embarrass me.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:20 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Glen, where were you!!!! I needed some help.

BTW, that's no regular Mini. Did you hear the engine? I thought it was going to pop any minute.

George
Old 08-10-2005, 12:25 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
Well, how do I say this? I got beat by a Mini at last weekends BMW CR. Great driver! Anyway, enjoy the video:

Fun Race

George
Ouch! May be time for some upgrades!

Old 08-10-2005, 12:42 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Mini's are faster than many people think. Last event I did a buddy in a mostly stock mini was only 1-2 secs slower than me and the other 993's. I was impressed, although most Mini drivers just don't have those skills.

George- how did you feel about your driving overall? Take this with a big grain of salt, but it seemed like you spent more time watching the Mini in your mirrors than you did drivign a good smooth line. Just a thought. Also, does your car understeer badly or is that just my perception?

p.s. about 2/3 through, you made a GREAT save. Obviously you're no rookie.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:52 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

George,
That was the best 20 minutes of my day - thank you! Fantastic driving on your part.

That Mini sounds like my Stihl brushcutter on a quiet Saturday morning...

Andreas
Old 08-10-2005, 12:54 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Eric, I was driving like crap! No question about it. I wasn't even going to go out because it started raining (like most) but it stopped right away. Only six cars went out. It was the third race of the weekend so I was ready to go home but figured I need the practice. My mind really wasn't in it. I was hoping to give the M3 a run for it's money, he had pole and I was second in the second print race. He overheated halfway through the race so he backed off. When he pulled away at the start (different driver by the way), I kind of went into cruise mode until the Mini passed me. And yes, I spent a lot of time looking at my mirrors. This was only my third race weekend and I'm still learning my mirrors. I have his video from the Mini and he is nowhere as close as I thought my mirrors showed. I chalk it up as a great learning experience.

You know, several think the video showed the car understeering but I would say it's no where close. I would say the car was a little loose the entire weekend because I tried to "cheat" and removed the spare from the trunk to save weight. I guess the ballast overrides any weight loss.

George
Old 08-10-2005, 12:55 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Great driving George and a great save too!!! I could feel your tension when that mini was all over you... I'm still sooo impressed with your setup, your understeer is a fraction to what I'm getting and you can carry good speed on the slow stuff. You were for sure faster than the mini on the esses, you just had nothing on him on the straights...for sure a special motor on that thing. Still he too drove the door of that little thing! Overall pretty awesome stuff! Its really the best when you can find someone to play with like that the whole race!!!

Eric, what you said is easier said than done! When you race a close race like that you really need to know where the other car is to avoid a nasty accident. Plus the adrenaline is pumping through the roof...Been there done that so to speak. Its extremely intense and proly the best part of racing.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:30 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Danny, thanks again. Like I've been saying, I love the setup on my car. Just a slight lift rotates it and then when I'm pointed the right way, I just floor it. You are right, if it was understeering, I wouldn't be able to take the twisties that well.

BTW, the Mini driver was a great guy, young kid actually. He is from Florida and his name is Jason Aranha. He told me he had a 951 and frequented Rennlist until he sold it. I don't want to take anything away from him, he drove that car like it should be driven. All in all, I don't really care that he beat me, well kind of, but that's not the point. I enjoyed every single minute of that race and came out with a smile on my face.

George

Quick Reply: Beat by a Mini