Installing HDs and springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 08:59 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Installing HDs and springs

I'm debating with myself whether to take on installing the shocks and springs into my cb, or let professional do it. I have the strut holding tool that Dave (Dudley) lent me, some experience in putting coilover into a car (my autocross Miata), no garage and fairly limited time.

I was quoted $1000 to do the suspension and alignment from a shop that'll be doing my clutch and flywheel. A bit high, probably. So... do I tackle the job myself?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your quote seems about right.....I was quoted about 9-10 hours from the local Porsche dealer here Jax for the installation on my 964......That price should include corner balancing....
Old 07-25-2005, 09:18 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, the alignment (+ corner balance) will cost you $2-300 alone and you will definitely have to outsource that, so $7-800 for the suspension install seems like a pretty good deal. It'll probably take a couple of days the first time, make sure you have the Hazet tool and 7mm allen wrench to remove the front strut nuts (impact wrench useful too).
Old 07-25-2005, 09:54 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep, the corner balancing and alignment are included, I'm figuring about $300 for that.

I do have a home-made approxamation of Hazet tool but no airtools not even an electric impact. Plus I'm planning on putting a Turbo rear bar in. Dunno. It's tempting to do it myself, but the lack of space and time scare me.

A related question is this. My car is a C2 cab. I'll be going with 225/255 17" tires. I have a pair of US Turbo bars sitting in a box. Should I put the rear bar only, or do both front and rear? The car, obviously, understeering now.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:55 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Mike - The job is not that bad, provided you have the time and some tools. I'm sure there is a procedure with all the necessary tools written up somewhere around here or on p-car. I would certainly do it again.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:49 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The key to doing the suspension is to have a place to do it. It is not that hard but you never know what will pop up during the install. A clean, secure garage that will allow you to proceed at your own pace is important. Though I am no mechanic, if you do decide to go forward, I would be available to give you a hand.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Reynard38
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine in 8 hours w/ the Hazet tool. Use a good jack and stands, or better yet a lift! The fronts are easy, but the backs will take some time. An air ratchet is very helpful for getting to the rear upper shock mounts.
Well worth the effort both in terms of driving and appearance.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:51 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I have a pair of US Turbo bars sitting in a box. Should I put the rear bar only, or do both front and rear? The car, obviously, understeering now.
I would go w/ just installing the rear for now. I liked my car w/ the stock front bar and an ROW 030 20mm rear bar. For a nice daily driver it still retains the front compliance while getting rid of some of the understeer. As you know, you can always add the front bar later w/o undoing/upsetting anything else.

I can understand your concern over installing the suspension yourself, but what are the time constraints you speak of? If you have installed coil overs in another car, you sure have enough mechanical ability to tackle installing the stuff on your 993. Not hard... just time consuming... which you seem to be in lack of... why?
Old 07-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had no idea what I was doing and no garage. I did it with a friend in his garage in about 6 hrs. Didn't have the Hazet tool either. Align. cost $300. HD's were $1000 delivered, already had the springs. So this was a $1300 total upgrade for me.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:51 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, Kelly, I have a 24-hour job nowdays. I work from home, but customers call and email at any time of the day or night, literally, as the customer base is worldwide. My GF actually gave me an ultimatum last week to stop picking up the phone after 1 AM and I'm considering it. I hardly have time to autocross on the weekends, and that's about it.

Dave, thanks for your kind offer. I might have access to my ex's garage in Wayland and a friend who's helped me with coilovrs before. I might just do the fronts and let Eurotech do the rears and the bar. You might get a panicky call from me at some point :-)

Quick Reply: Installing HDs and springs