993 Forum 1995-1998

So, I just had a good conversation with Jackson

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 05:10 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default So, I just had a good conversation with Jackson

So, I just cleaned the car; today is cool out (about 60 degrees). I pulled the car in the garage to dry her off and do some detailing. The garage door was open and made for a nice breeze. I was on my knees doing some cleaning of the lug nut recesses when I hear a near simultaneous "WHOA!" and the distinct sound of a bicycle tire sliding on the sidewalk. As I look up, there is a boy, about 9 or 10, straddling his BMX at the end of my driveway. he called me "mister." I am only 26 and this was Definitely the first time I've been called "Mister." "Mister, would you mind I look at you car?" I told him he could if he allowed me to look at his very tricked out BMX. His name was Jackson, and he assured me he knew plenty about Porsches from his Need for Speed games. I was surprised, of course, that he did know the car was a 993 and that is "went 180 mph" on his game. He walked around it, being careful not to touch, a car he though must be worth at least $100,000. when I told him it was worth about $30,000, he informed me that I had gotten a "very good deal."
I showed him the engine, the hollow spoke wheels, the brakes, and let him sit in the drivers seat. He showed me his BMX bicycle, of which he was obviously proud. And informed me of his record breaking status with the annual PTA fund raising bicycle ride.

Guys, this was the first time I've ever seen the eyes of a kid, griping the steering wheel of a dream car. They were beaming. I told him if he'd like a ride, he could bring his mom or dad over and if it were ok with them, we'd go for a spin. Ah, dammit, I feel like a guest on Oprah or something. I dounno, Jackson made my day for stopping by and talking cars for a bit.
He learned a bit about Porsches, including the origins of the hood crest and the correct pronunciation of the marque. And, I learned a few good tips on ramming police cars on Need For Speed.

It was a fair trade.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:13 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like there is hope for the future after all.

Looks like Jackson has his head on straight.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:14 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great story! Yup kids need to be exposed to Porsches. I didn't get to drive one until I was about 18, working as a parking attendant (heh heh), I knew then that I'd own one some day.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Great story. I love to watch the kids look at my car.

Yesterday I was detailing the interior of my 993 and my Mercedes was in the driveway. I looked up and my 4 year old was in the driver's seat, hands on the wheel, making vroom noises and had my sunglasses on! I can't tell you how many times I did that when I was a kid.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:12 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Very cool story! My daughters love Porsches my 5yr has to tell me how many times she saw a Porsche while going to school and my 9yr always ask questions about all the buttons, gauges, and lights when she's riding in the car. She's always asking if the Tail is up when were driving.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:12 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Leland Pete,

What a great story. It made me smile to read it. Its funny how much enjoyment we get sharing stuff like that with interested outsiders. I'm not sure who got the most out of that encounter... you were both winners that day! And smart move to be sure to get the parent's permission before taking the kid out for a ride.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great post!
Old 07-25-2005, 09:38 PM
killbugsfast
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were at Homestead for PBOC . These young couple and their 4 y/o from Canada were walking by . On seeing the 226 , they had to stop and chat . We had the kid sit at the wheel for a Kodak moment , shades and all ! We all laughed . Then , Dad wanted in too , so we obliged . Somewhere in Canada there is a family with a different view of what Porsche people are like . Glad we could do that . I still remember my first Porsche experience . Hooked for life !
Old 07-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Rhino
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

So you like stories? Here is a technical story in being a dad.

One day after waxing my 1987 Porsche I was in the back yard doing some work when I hear the alarm go on. after about 30 seconds, it turns itself off. I hear my family in the front yard so I do not think anything about it. About an hour later I walk to the front of the house and from a distance I see a small white spot just above the rear passenger quarter panel. I think to myself "Oh missed a spot". as I move in to clean up my waxing error, I notice that it looks like a dent! What! I think to myself pissed off and ready to kick some butt! I then call my son, 3.5 years old and his friend out side to talk with me. I ask my son, "Do you know how that happened?" He says with a smile "Yes! I did it!. How did you do it I asked?, He said I threw a big rock and it hit right there (Pointing)! How many rocks did you throw, I asked? With great excitment he said "I threw 4 (While holding up his fingers)!! I said, Did the others hit the car? He said "I missed! I looked around the car and there where the other 3 rocks under the car the size of my fist. In that moment I had a choice. Get angry and if I did, my son would probably start lying to me the next time I asked him if he borrowed the car or I could just talk to him about not doing it again. I chose to do that. I then removed the rock garden in the front of the house and replaced it with flowers. Damgage to the car $850. Damage to the relationship. None. Well worth the $... and you gotta love how truthful a 3.5 year old can be.
Rhino
Old 07-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Great stories. Within less than 24 hours of taking delivery of my then-new 993, I put about 400 miles on it. Stopped for coffee and admiring the curves, a couple of boys, about 6 and 7, get out of a mini van next to it. The 6 yr old thinks there is way too much road dust on the car, and starts wiping the hood with his hand. Mom grabs him before he gets it all the way clean. Like a deer in the headlights, I did not say a word. It "buffed right out".
Old 07-25-2005, 10:26 PM
killbugsfast
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While washing a rear quarter panel on my 750iL , my 3 y/o daughter came out to help . Figuring she could not hurt anything , i did not pay too much attention until she asked me to come by and see how it was coming out . Ahhh , she had found a piece of 400 grit sandpaper and was using it to clean the car We still laugh when she sees me washing the 993 and asks if she can help .
Old 07-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

We need more stories like this. I think many of us were just like Jackson as we were growing up. Nice story, Leland!
Old 07-25-2005, 10:40 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story! Aside from driving my 911, I get the most joy from seeing kids' reaction to the car. When I was dropping a friend off at his house one afternoon, about 4 kids were standing in the yard next door. As I pulled away, I heard one of the say... "whoa... sweet car". It's neat to think that a 911 may now be his dream car.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

My friend has a 4 year old son.......When I first introduced the boy to the car, he started flapping his arms with excitement.. Mind you, this boy has more Matchbox cars than there are taxi cabs in NYC. Anyway, he wanted to see the engine, so I took him to the BACK of the car.........This was a complete shock to him to see the engine in the back of the car. Now, every time he sees the car, he says "The back is in the front and the front is in the back"........Priceless......
Old 07-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

More importantly what about those tips for need for speed? I could use them!

Quick Reply: So, I just had a good conversation with Jackson