Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 12:31 AM
dmcentee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 purchase

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 1996 993 and have a few questions:

1) are there any particular problem areas in this car that I should look for ?

2) this car is equipped with the tiptronic transmission. I have not driven a 6 speed version of the 993 but the tiptronic car seems sluggish. any comments on this ?

3) anybody know the estimated cost of the 30K mile service

thanks
dmcentee@ktis.net
Old 07-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Tango Foxtrot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search on CEL - Check Engine Light... for Carbon buildup . This can be a problem on all 993's. You should also be getting a ppi - pre purchase inspection by a reputable porsche shop to ensure you are getting what you are paying for. I am sure others with more experience will chime in.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:52 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

General issues you may find:
'96 - the ecu can't be remapped so if you ever decide to do it you will need to get a '97 ecu for the remap.

tiptronic vs. 6 speed is a preference thing. My preference is for manual but everybody will have their own.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:12 AM
dmcentee
Advanced

Default 993 ECL carbon buildup

Hi - thanks for th inputs. The carbon buildup issue sounds serious - $5k to $8k to repair. Is this a very common problem on the 993 ?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:01 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't know if there are any hard numbers percentage wise on the carbon build up issue. Some here have had it with under 50K, some have not with over 100K. It may be related to oil usage but it’s hard to tell. The other issue that may go hand in hand with it is the problem with soft valve guides. They tend to wear out prematurely. Again, this has been discussed numerous times in the archives. Don’t let these problems scare you away from a 993. Just beware of a couple of the weak points. I’ve had my 96 now for 1.5 years and have not spent a dime on anything other than maintenance items. Not bad for almost a 10 year old car. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:40 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Hi dmcentee--

1) the aforementioned SAI ports in OBD II cars [96+ model years], Valve guide wear
2) Drive a 6-speed car and determine for yourself if it's the car or the tranny that you think is sluggish. If you are expecting crack off the line performance, you may be disappointed, although these cars are certainly far from slow.
3) I'm guessing probably close to $1,000-1,250 depending on if they need to replace anything significant. My PO did 30K service at an independent and it was around $950 if I remember correctly

If you want to know the story with SAI/Check engine light do a search on the 993 forum for SAI CEL. From what I have seen on the board thus far, it seems to happen more with cars that were babied, not driven hard, driven only short distances, etc, although it will probably happen eventually to almost all of us at a certain mileage. $5K-$8K sounds stupid expensive for just SAI passage cleanup--that is probably a top end rebuild with new valvetrain, springs, clutch/flywheel, etc. There is also a way you can do a DIY flush of the SAI passages that you should be able to find if you search for it.

Good luck, and remember that all pCars have their issues, and as long as you get a good PPI done and know what you are getting into and keep up with the needed servicing, you should enjoy relatively trouble-free motoring for years to come!

Quick Reply: 993 purchase