Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 (964 ,968 ) Odometer Repair DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 06:18 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian, just getting ready to try the repair myself and I looked up your thread. Unfortunately none of the pictures come up ??? If you still have them handy would you be able to re-post them. I know that would be a hassle but hopefully I could re-pay the favor somehow in the future.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:13 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Updated. Sorry all. I had some changes wherer I save my pics and things got all mixed up. Things hsould be back to normal now. I'll get this submitted over to p-car to have a static version of this out there as well.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:25 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my trip meter broke about 2000 miles ago, but my odometer is still holding out...however, when it dies too i am going to give this a shot (i have bookmarked the page :-)). thanks for the excellent documentation!
Old 08-24-2005, 06:57 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Thanks Brian, just waiting for the gear to get here by UPS. I think I'll attempt the repair this weekend when I can go nice and slow. Thanks again !
Old 08-25-2005, 04:00 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

mborkow... if just your trip meter gears stopped turning, you have a different problem. The gear that I replaced, the one that usually breaks, drives BOTH sets of gears simultaneously. The trip reset button simply lifts the cogs off the number dials. You might have something entirely different going on in there. All other parts that I saw were a MUCH more stable plastic composition and I would be surprised if it was a similar gear meltdown. Would be interesting though to do some exploration in there to find out what's wrong.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:09 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Brian, I too thought this might be another issue as well. When my Trip meter stoped working, so did my odometer. My speedometer still works fine.

Old 09-04-2005, 06:01 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Wow, finally found the time to do the repair and Brian is definately The Man. Everything was as you described even though I have a tip and computer so no reset shaft. Got it all back together and everything is working fine. Thanks Brian.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Brian, thank you for this very useful info. Following your post I ordered a 15-tooth replacement gear from Jeff, he is a very friendly, customer oriented helpful guy indeed - I highly recommend it. As his odo-gears are made from a much tougher material (celcon) rather than the soft OEM part (urethane), I also expect it to last a long time!
I got my odo fixed locally last w/e, with the mileage adjusted to correct setting. Thanks for the tip of how to obtain this durable replacement part
Old 10-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I can confirm that this is the same procedure for a 964. Just did mine. Thank you!! And thanks to Jeff Caplan for providing these gears!!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Rick Sylvestri
Racer

Default Odometer fix :)

Wanted to thank Brian for the write up.
Went to Norcal last week and on the way back noticed my trip/odometer had "givin up the ghost" with a short 76k on the clock. I thought I might send it out as remember reading on Pelican about North Hollywood Spedo...
I logged on and on the first page was the odometer fix post In less than 3 days had the part and I installed with printed write up in hand in 1 hour flat (1-beer )
Very easy as the write up states (as long as your not ham fisted)
Thank You Brian and Jeff
Old 10-19-2005, 02:28 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Great job Brian!!! Thanks for your contribution, excellent description, I will be doing it this week-end.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wanted to bring this thread back to life for a moment.
Last week, my odometer quit working. I stopped driving the car and ordered the gear as specified in the DIY. Long story short, I ended up driving the car for two days (truck broke) and the odo definately was not working. Then going home for lunch I noticed it had started working again. I was perplexed but decided to replace the gear anyway.
So, last night I tore it apart and found the small odo gear intact. Everything else looked fine. I replaced the gear and put it all back together.

Driving to work this morning the odometer/tripmeter seem to be working fine, with one small problem.
They are not synchronized anymore.
By this I mean with the tripmeter reset, as it rolls to .7 miles, the odometer rolls over. So they are not lined up where the trip meter rolls past .9 miles and the odo rolls at the same time. I think this may have happened because I hit the reset button and moved the odo gear a bit. So, it looks like I'm going to have to pull it all apart again and see if I can get them in step with one another.

After looking at all the parts pretty closely, I can say I don't think it would be very easy to alter the actual odometer reading. Someone posted earlier of being suspicious of low mileage cars. The numerical wheels are bound together in a solid plastic housing with flush mounted press fit pins. The gear that is driven by the small motor will freewheel and you can move the indicated mileage, but to do so would take someone a year or two.
Replacing the gear is a piece of cake though. The toughest part is bending/beating on the gauge bezel. It hurts to do it.

In Montana, any vehicle over ten years old gets a mileage exempt title issued upon registration.
I was a little miffed at first until they told me it was standard.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:01 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

why would the trip 10th mile have anything to do with the Odo miles rolling at the same time. Depends on where the Odo was when the trip was set.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:31 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I figured it out. All I had to do was reset the trip meter at the exact same time the odo was rolling to the next mile. Now they seem to be in synch, so to speak.

Brian, thanks again for the DIV writeup, it saved me a boatload of money and time without the car, had I had to send it out to a speedo shop.

This place rocks,
Lee
Old 10-20-2005, 11:43 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow! I can't believe how many people have done this fix! Glad to hear that it is working out.

Glad the synch issue worked out too Leland... Only if the odo had an actual 1/10th digit.

Leland - didn't you have a 911SC about 9, 10 years ago or something back on the Pelican boards? I think I remember you from when I had my 911SC at the same time. Looks like we've moved along parallel paths.

Quick Reply: 993 (964 ,968 ) Odometer Repair DIY